Marvel and DC Animated Films/Television Shows

Benji

So I bought Ultimate Avengers 1 & 2, Invincible Iron Man and Doctor Strange all on DVD the other day, I'd seen UA before, but IIM and DS were new to me, and I've got to admit, Doctor Strange has reignited my love for the old TV shows. I used to watch them on a regular basis even up to a couple of years back, but had fallen out of favour due to being able to actually read the current comics on a regular basis again.

So yeah, I demand you reminisce over them.

And yes, this deserves a thread separate to the comic book thread, because more people on this board probably watched those cartoons than read comics currently.

I used to watch the '94 animated Spidey series and Batman: TAS all.. the.. time. When I was younger I had a shit-ton of Batman figures and I'd round them all up, sit down and watch Batman and then go outside and play with scrap wood from my dad's latest project and my Batman figures and could do that for hours.

I think Spider-Man usurped Batman as my favourite, though. I absolutely loved some of the arcs - Secret Wars, Six Forgotten Warriors - and the guest appearances by other Marvel characters (Punisher, Daredevil, Cap, X-Men, tons more).

I've started watching The Incredible Hulk and it's pretty good too, shame it only lasted a season or two. I quite like what I have seen.

X-Men: Evolution was also a good series. Fuckin' loved that series. I'd catch it every day after school, and I really wish Toon Disney in the US would air repeats of it.

It's a standalone, I thought.

Also, as much as people hate on them for their art style I love the new Spectacular Spider-Man TV series and The Batman. I can easily forgive the weird art on Spec Spidey since mah booooooi Greg Weisman is helming that.

Less new shows, more classic mid-90's :@

Screw you, I'm bucking this.

Wasn't Eddie Brock's characterisation and transformation brilliant, Will?

Eddie Brock was awesome. Venom definitely got the treatment he deserved. I wish they had given it a bit more screen-time, but I liked Doc Oc too.

I'm sure Venom will get more screentime come season two though.

Justice League Unlimited is greatness.

Seconded. Hell, I think I'll throw the Season One DVD in right now...

I especially loved the Defenders tribute where Solomon Grundy = Hulk, Hawkgirl = Valkyrie, Dr. Fate = Dr. Strange, and Aquaman = Namor. Rob Zombie even voiced the Cthulhu knock-off. It was like a souffle of homage. (Y)

I was bored by the Doctor Strange animated film, I've not bothered with any of the other animated films from Marvel or DC, though I have watched the Hellboy animated one. The second one of those, Blood and Iron is very good.

As for the old catoons, man's work on this planet peaked with the 1990's X-Men cartoon series. Even with it's virtual lack of Nightcrawler and Colossus, and a lot of Storm. That was just a brilliant show, and could well be the one thing that WAS my childhood beyond anything else.

I never bothered much with the new Spider-Man cartoon or the 90's one, which may have been a mistake.

Edited by timmayy Aaron XXIV

I never bothered much with the new Spider-Man cartoon or the 90's one, which may have been a mistake

Yes. It was.

I never bothered much with the new Spider-Man cartoon or the 90's one, which may have been a mistake

Yes. It was.

Haha! Thanks man!

Toe's link to the X-Men Cartoon theme is great. That was a brilliant theme tune. Just brilliant.

The Mid 90's Spiderman was absolutely great. Good story arcs, well portrayed villains, cameo appearances. I even didn't hate the Rocket racer episode.

The Batman is actually enjoyable as far as new stuff goes. I've watched some episodes recently and it was enjoyable stuff.