True Blood

zero

Anyone else watching this on HBO? I was incredibly skeptical when I heard about the show, but after catching up on it, I gotta rave about how awesome it is. Seriously, I can't think of a more clever show on television right now and while the networks are playing the Sci-Fi sandbox, HBO is delivering a smart, witty, controversial and just downright brilliant series that would never work anywhere else. So yeah, anyone else been watching my new favorite show?

Anyone else watching this on HBO? I was incredibly skeptical when I heard about the show, but after catching up on it, I gotta rave about how awesome it is. Seriously, I can't think of a more clever show on television right now and while the networks are playing the Sci-Fi sandbox, HBO is delivering a smart, witty, controversial and just downright brilliant series that would never work anywhere else. So yeah, anyone else been watching my new favorite show?

What's it about?

Vampires.

Here's the Wikipedia synopsis:

Thanks to a Japanese scientist's invention of synthetic blood, vampires have progressed from legendary monsters to fellow citizens overnight. And while humans have been safely removed from the menu, many remain apprehensive about these creatures "coming out of the coffin." Religious leaders and government officials around the world have chosen their sides, but in the small Louisiana town of Bon Temps, the jury is still out.

Local waitress Sookie Stackhouse (Anna Paquin), however, knows how it feels to be an outcast. "Cursed" with the ability to listen in on people's thoughts, she's also open-minded about the integration of vampires — particularly when it comes to Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer), a handsome 175-year-old living up the road. But as Sookie is drawn into a series of mysteries surrounding Bill's arrival in Bon Temps, that tolerance will be put to the test.

It's the best show of this new season, but I'd stop well short of calling it awesome. It's perfectly watchable and entertaining, but nothing about it has blown me away yet. Just another example of how this is the most magnificently meh TV season of the past 5 years.

Pfft.

Always Sunny's come out in the last 5 years and makes everything less meh. :angry:

That said, I dunno. It was alright but I only caught half of the first episode. Maybe I'll give another looksee, especially with Paquin naked. :pervert:

I watch it every week. It started as watching the replay after the season premier of Entourage, then we couldn't stop watching, the show was just to bizarre. Now we love it, everyone stays the extra hour to watch it after Entourage (we DVR it).

I've been watching this since the start and I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Sometimes it has some disgusting scenes (I don't really like to watch the intro, the music is great though), but I enjoy the characters and the story. Also, yes...Anna Paquin got naked, who woulda thunk it?

I think the dog is Sam btw, that's just me.

My girlfriend loves this show, since she's into that whole vampire sort of scene. I find it ok, it just sucks for them it's on Sunday's when I like to watch Football. The Dog makes me laugh though. It just reminds me of that Simpsons episode with Mel Gibson. I'd recommend it at least for a watch, but it's definitely a select taste.

I think it's great. I've never really liked a lot of things in the Vampire genre but this show is so different that I find myself compelled to watch it. What more could we expect from the Six Feet Under creator though, really?

• 3 weeks later...

I caught this for the first time last night and watched back to back episodes on replay. Definitely have to share the love for it, and damn Anna Paquin has NEVER been hotter than she is on this show. It's incredibly witty, and drew me into the whole universe they've created for the show. It can be a little cheesy at times, but I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed both episodes. I'm definitely going to have to catch up.

Edited by Idol

Just started catching up with this and I have to say, I'm really enjoying it so far. Just watched the 3rd episode and it just keeps getting better and better :)

Maybe it's the love of buffy, or blondes, or southern accents, or vampires, or nudity... actually, yeah, it's probally all of that. But it also has a compelling story to go along with it :) Love the intro song as well.

• 7 months later...

Just thought I'd revive the topic to remind anyone that had forgotten/didn't know that Series Two starts up tomorrow.

I've been looking forward to the return of the show ever since I finished watching it all a few months ago, it became one of my favourite show's after just one 12 episode series. I can't wait to find out the deal with the women that Tara was staying with (A witch maybe?) and what happens with the girl Bill turned. (Speaking off, I only recently realised that it was Danko from Heroes that played the Vampire Elder.)

Dont have HBO right now and so I will be missing this tomorrow.. god I cant wait to find this...

Oh yay, a good show during summer time! :w00t: I thought it was going to start around September, so this is good news. I can't say I remember what happened in the last episode, but that doesn't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVElHhe1b_k

Didn't know Bill is British and Stackhouse Aussie.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Thank God its back. I didn't catch season 1 when it aired but caught all the episodes when they reaired. I think that woman tara is staying with is a shapeshifter of some sort.

Just finished watching the first episode of series two.

Lafyette is alive! Hooray! One of my favourite characters on the show, I'm so glad they didn't go the route of the books and kill him off. I'm very interested to learn who/what the new killer is and if it has anything to do with Marilyn (that's her name I think?). The only part I seem to care less and less about is Terra and her mother. Also more Anna Paquin nude will never, ever be a bad thing.

...Oh God. This is an adaptation of Charlaine Harris' vampire books isn't it? I'm not sure if I want to tell Stokerina. She might just go insane with excitement.

Edit: Okay, apparently she already knew about it, downloaded the first episode and found it so appalling that she couldn't stand to watch anymore. ...I see.

Edited by stokeriño