Folie à Deux

apsham

Tiffany Blews is by far my favorite after the first night of listening. May change once I hear more, but I doubt it.

Other standouts:

The (Shipped) Gold Standard

20 Dollar Nosebleed

And the 3 prereleased tracks, even though I've listened to them to death still hold up well America's Suitehearts, What a Catch, and Headfirst Slide

I have to agree though, definitely enjoy the album, even though still, 80% of the lyrics make no damn sense and you really have to think about them. (And probably come to the wrong conclusion)

edit- Wish some of the mixtape tracks had made it in though. Specifically Lake Effect Kid.

Edited by Media 2.0

Really? I listen to the stream of it this morning and I don't see why everyone is saying it's so good. With exception of What a Catch, Donnie & Tiffany Blews, the rest of the album just doesn't sound all that good to me. I prefer "Cork Tree" & Infinity on High over Folie à Deux, but, that's just me.

Maybe I just need to listen to it a few times in order to gain a better feel for it.

Edited by Lj.

It feels closer to Cork Tree than Infinity, thank god... because Cork Tree was the perfect summer album... I can see this becoming a winter counterpart for me.

You must be taking the piss? It's all midtempo wank. Even the few songs I like, are NOTHING like the tracks on Cork Tree. There's absolutely no drive to the songs. There's no BIG CHORUSES...and the verses are totally forgettable for the most part too. The 2nd single (can't remember its shitty name) sounds like a fucking Sam Sparro song, "...Donnie" is full on ballad, but seems to work. But the problem comes. Their hooks came in the fact their tunes we're fast, catchy pop-punk tracks with massive choruses. When they're not writing these kind of tunes, they're just not 'good enough' to make memorable tracks. Basically, I think they're writing for a number one single. Or at least that's what it reaks of. Making something easily accessible. It's shit.

The end gets a bit better, where they pretend to be a hair-metal/stadium rock band from the 80's. It even has the token cheesy ballad!

Only tunes I like;

"Coffee's For Closers" (mostly for the intro...love it...drags towards the end, but the start was the first thing I remotely liked about the album)

"What A Catch, Donnie" (cheesy ballad)

"20 Dollar Nose Bleed" (hello, Queen)

"West Coast Smoker".......IT'S FUCKING "LIVING ON A PRAYER!!!!"

I take back what I wrote earlier, I love this damn album the more I listen to it. Shit! I wanted to hate it so much because it wasn't like their old stuff, but it works, and even though it's not pop punk, it's not really straight pop either. It's something new and something that most people haven't heard before, it's refreshing.

Although Patrick's singing in part of a song reminds me of Meatloaf. <_<

Edited by Lj.

where has everyone gotten the cd? im confused...i know they are streaming it but everyone is talking as if they have the songs...or are you all just listening to the streams?

the stream we have available to us in australia is only 30 second clips except for the previously released songs...its sad :(

Edited by 450_Splash

I just finished listening to it so I figured I'd share my thoughts:

I had some high hopes for this album as their effort last year was my album of the year. Folie A Deux doesn't disappoint as it's a solid follow up but it lacks a lot of what made Infinity on High so great. Fall Out Boy are at their best when they have a big sound going on, lots of layers and such. This album is a bit stripped down but you get the big feeling in songs like "Headfirst Into Cooperstown". I've always liked how they introduce horns and stringed instruments and was hoping they would do more but the two songs they do it in are better for it. If I remember right, Infinity on High had two ballads to this albums one. They do a damn good ballad so only having one is a bit of a let down. They certainly have found their sound as many of the songs have some throwbacks to the last album in riffs and vocal cadences. Stump's vocals are really good on this album and his tendency to mumble has gone away for the most part. It still sounds like he has marbles in his mouth sometimes but not as bad as before. The drumming is solid as always, some neat little patterns here and there. It's not as noticeable as it was on Infinity on High but he knows what he can do and plays to his strengths. I wish there were more vocal harmonies with more than one singer that and catchy lyrics but who knows, after a few more listens I may have a different opinion on that. Infinity on High is an album I still listen to almost weekly so time will tell if Folie a Deux joins the ranks of it's predecessor. I waited to make a final top ten albums list because I was figuring this would sneak in and grab the top spot. While I'm not sure it will end my year at number one it's certainly got a fighting chance against amazing albums like Slipknot's "All Hope is Gone", Offspring's "Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace", and others. I'll be giving a lot of albums a second or 11th listen in the next few weeks to determine the number one for '08 but I wouldn't be surprised if Fall Out Boy end up at number one.

I give it an A.

Hahaha...seriously...yeah, it's shit.

I had some high hopes for this album as their effort last year was my album of the year. Folie A Deux doesn't disappoint as it's a solid follow up but it lacks a lot of what made Infinity on High so great. Fall Out Boy are at their best when they have a big sound going on, lots of layers and such.

I forced myself through after the first sentence...through the second...the third...oh god, I can't go on...seriously...what fucking band are you listening to?

One highlight of this album, that doesn't stop it collapsing into an absolute shitfest...Patrick Stump...I will say, this album is the best his vocals have sounded. Powerful and a good amount of variation. But it's not enough to make the songs exciting. "Coffee..." is a CHOOOOON though.

They certainly have found their sound as many of the songs have some throwbacks to the last album in riffs and vocal cadences.

Okay...I haven't found any of this yet...but that isn't a definition of 'finding a sound', that is a definition of 'lazy songwriting', but as I said, I haven't really found anything 'obvious' yet, so I think that might have just been a case of 'reaching for something to finish a sentence' (yeah, I know that came across as patronising :shifty:).

Now...the whole 'sellout' thing, I know it hasn't been brought up, but still, I have a point I always use with Fall Out Boy.

Now, I look at FOB in a different way than I do a few. FOB to me, they seem a band that 'love music' if you get what I'm saying. Or the "Mark Hoppus Effect"...the bloke knows/listens to so much varying shit. Now, Hoppus, say what you want about Blink, Hoppus, DID WHAT HE WAS BEST AT! He wrote cheesy, C-G-Am-F patterned pop-punk songs, yes there was slight variation album to album, but it stayed the same, and the Blink material basically defined a generation. It was the Blink's that made the bands like Fall Out Boy want to be in a pop-punk band, etc. And it was Fall Out Boy, with "...Grave" and "Cork Tree" that did that for a bunch of the current crop of pop-punk bands, hell "...Grave" was basically the birth/beginning of the melodic/hardcore-powerpop sound, which is fucking epic.

...erm...where was I.

"Mark Hoppus Effect"...Mark clearly loved his different kinds of music, but he knew to stick to what he was good at. FOB however, they're liek a kid in a sweet shop. And want to try everything. But they just end up regurgitating shit, getting fat and having no friends besides a bunch of weird twats. They need to really learn to play to their strengths. Seriously. Who hears "Golden" and thinks!!! "I WANT TO MAKE TUNES LIKE THIS!!!".....NOBODY!!! And if you do...you're a cunt!

Edited by YI

To each his own.

About the finding their sound, I meant it as this is much more closer in sound and riff ideas/drum parts to the last album than any of their other ones. You can tell they went about writing these songs in the same way that they did their last album. To me at least, this album and Infinity on High are more closely related to each other than Cork Tree or anything before that.

Just my opinion anyways. FOB is my guilty pleasure as it's so different than 95% of what I listen to. Simple songs with simple melodies that get stuck in your head.

I just finished listening to it so I figured I'd share my thoughts:

I had some high hopes for this album as their effort last year was my album of the year.

Your opinion became invalid there, sorry. Also, Fall Out Boy have never done a good ballad. They do good, hooky punk-pop with shout-along choruses. Unfortunately, they seem to think they're capable of more.

To each his own.

About the finding their sound, I meant it as this is much more closer in sound and riff ideas/drum parts to the last album than any of their other ones. You can tell they went about writing these songs in the same way that they did their last album. To me at least, this album and Infinity on High are more closely related to each other than Cork Tree or anything before that.

Just my opinion anyways. FOB is my guilty pleasure as it's so different than 95% of what I listen to. Simple songs with simple melodies that get stuck in your head.

Yeah, because the last album got bloody everywhere, they thought "fuck it, let's do that again". Fair enough, it's got them noticed around the world and made an assload of cash, but it's nowhere near their best output.

Actually fuck it, yeah I didn't know what I was talking about with the album analogies. I'm still standing by this album though. It's somewhere in between the two if anything I'd say.

But yeah, at least there's no "This Ain't A Scene" tracks, because that song killed my like of Fall Out Boy for the longest time, ugh. What A Catch, Donnie is probably my favorite on the album followed by Headfirst Slide Into Coopestown On A Bad Bet, and then The (Shipped) Gold Standard. I still don't think they're ever going to be able to put out something to top Cork Tree though.