Fifa 09 Online Tournament (Xbox)

Whisper

Ajax 0-2 Newcastle

Martins '24

Owen 53'

A fairly comfortable win here for Newcastle with the 2-0 scoreline possibly flattering Ajax. Newcastle were in control from the outset, and made their pressure pay on 24 minutes when Obafemi Martins powered home a header from a Michael Owen cross, following some lovely build up play down the Newcastle right. Ajax offered little in the way of resistance, creating only half chances. Klaas Jan Huntelaar looked isolated upfront throughout, and the game was all but sealed when Owen tapped home into an empty net from close range, after good work by Martins. Newcastle continued to look strong, with Marten Stekelenberg in the Ajax goal on top form, keeping his side in it.

Yeah so Jordan pertty much destroyed me :P Couldn't do much going forward, might need to get 2 up front in future matches, well played Jordan though, deserved :)

Edit - also, if anyone fancies a friendly tonight or something let me know, I should be around on XBL

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm there's no outstanding teams...

And boy did I ride my luck in those friendly games! I take great pleasure from my defences performances though! After leaking 7 last night I kind of thought I should learn to play by building from the back, one day I may get some shots in on goal :P

Edited by Sam

Bolton 0 - 2 Spurs

15' Jenas

28' Bent

Spurs opened the campaign with a relatively comfortable win over Bolton at the Reebok Stadium. Bolton started well with possession but Spurs soon took control of the game and Jermaine Jenas blocked a clearance and took full advantage by finishing from close range after quarter of an hour. Bent doubled the lead later in the first half as he latched onto David Bentley's superb through-ball that carved the Bolton defence to shreds and the striker pounced with a shot from the edge of the penalty box to beat Jussi Jaaskelainen. Fabrice Muamba and Matty Taylor found themselves in the referee's book towards the end of the first half as Bolton struggled to cope with Tottenham's pacey midfield.

Roman Pavlyuchenko could have had a couple himself but was denied by the impressive Bolton goalie twice within ten minutes in the second half and substitute Frazier Campbell was also denied when one-on-one with the Fin. Bolton never really threatened Spurs' lead during the game, wasting their best chances including Johan Elmander finding himself in acres of space down the right wing late in the game but slicing his cross badly into the stands.

--

Not trying to be biased or anything but it was a fairly routine win in all honesty :shifty:

Edited by AD

Hmm there's no outstanding teams...

And boy did I ride my luck in those friendly games! I take great pleasure from my defences performances though! After leaking 7 last night I kind of thought I should learn to play by building from the back, one day I may get some shots in on goal :P

To be fair mate, I barely had any clear cut chances... and you rattled the crossbar in that second game. I had a whole load of possession, think I need to learn to break teams down better... sooo much harder on this than Pro Evo ever was.

think I need to learn to break teams down better... sooo much harder on this than Pro Evo ever was.

Same here, i've only been playing Fifa since christmas after being a Pro Evo guy and I'm finding it hard to adapt (still no excuses for my poor display). In my game against AD it just seemed as if i was running into his players and basically giving them the ball.

Quite happy with my performance against Whisper but there was some right howlers from my defense in the second half. Beye's random sliced cross-field pass which fell straight to Huntelaar was a highlight. Thank god, I'd brought Given out quickly or it could have gone wrong. I still think it was a case of me getting my tactics right more than anything. I do admit that I let out a little squeal of joy when my first went in though; I very rarely score goals like that and I wish I could have saved it in all truth.

L.C.S, that was the softest penalty of all time :P

Totti shoots, my defender slides to block it... ball goes wide... 5 minutes later, penalty! 86th minute equaliser, shocking:p

Quite happy with my performance against Whisper but there was some right howlers from my defense in the second half. Beye's random sliced cross-field pass which fell straight to Huntelaar was a highlight. Thank god, I'd brought Given out quickly or it could have gone wrong. I still think it was a case of me getting my tactics right more than anything. I do admit that I let out a little squeal of joy when my first went in though; I very rarely score goals like that and I wish I could have saved it in all truth.

Owen and Martins are an absolute pain to play against. Too much pace for my back four. Martins is super man again, just like on every football game for the last 5 years or so :P

Just finished the match against DutchAnimal where he beat me 2-0 (both Aguero strikes out of nowhere)

Was a good tough match where we were battling all over the place, not so sure about many highlights come to think of it thanks to my mis-timed tackles policy breaking up most long stretches of play (Which resulted in the lovely Jimmy Bullard getting sent off for whacking a defender :P)

Anyone up for a friendly whilst I'm still in the mood for a game?

I thought my first goal was nice enough, very nice pass trough the center into the penaltybox. Second one was a bit crappy, I don't like rushing and prefer a passing game.

Anyway it was a nice match, I like your playing style General, it's nice and balanced without you being afraid to tackle. We should have a friendly again someday.

EDIT: Hell I'll just edit in a little match report for the books

(The General)Fulham 0 - 2 Atletico Madrid(Animal)

Atletico got off to a good start in this tourny by beating Fulham. It wasn't a match for the neutral spectator as both teams battled it out on midfield with little excitement. Half way into the first half the deadlock was broken as Pablo Assuncao passed the ball to Aguero in the penaltybox. The young Argentinian striker didn't hesitate and put away the ball in the lower left corner. After that the battle for the midfield started all over with neither teams getting any good chances. The start of the second half saw Atletico putting on a bit more pressure but the only noteworthy chance came when Maxi Rodriguez struck the outside of the post. A trough ball to Aguero resulted in the 0-2 as he powered it into the net.

Fulham seemed to become more frustrated and Jimmy Bullard released his anger on a Atletico defender with a brutal tackle that got him send off. Fulham did come close to a 1-2 when striker Johnson went one on one with goalkeeper Franco but his attempt went wide.

So there you have it. I'm looking forward to the next game!

Edited by Animal

It seems, judging by the friendlies i've played, that just about everyone is gonna be able to beat everyone, which could turn out to be pretty awesome in terms of the table.

Just Pepsi/Sam left to play and I'll put up the second lot of fixtures :)

Edit - Around this evening for friendlies if anyone's on :)