Give me documentaries.

MalaCloudy Black

I feel like watching some. I'm looking for, more than anything, less "mainstream" docs. I've seen the shit like Bowling For Columbine, Super Size Me, etc. etc. Documentaries about things like war and life in the Middle East (such as Voices Of Iraq) are what I'm most interested in right now, but I'll take pretty much anything.

Oh, also, docs about consumerism and things such as the history of computer science (Y)

Edited by Cloudy Lee

They're both pretty mainstream, but I loved King of Kong and This Film Is Not Yet Rated.

Oh, yeah, I've seen both. This Film Is Not Yet Rated comes on IFC all the time, and I've got it on my TiVo as well. It's a really interesting film.

Oh, new addition - after watching a shitload of Gangland episodes, I'd like some docs about the gang subculture. Preferably about gangs in the US, but any kind of doc about it is cool.

Not exactly what you were looking for but as far as videogame documentaries go, try to find Chasing Ghosts. It was filmed at the same time as King of Kong but takes a different approach and is actually kind of sad/depressing.

On the subject of gangs, HBO did two documentaries on gangs in the south, Little Rock I think. Those were pretty good.

Cheers, I'm gonna have to check some of these out. (Y)

On the subject of gangs, HBO did two documentaries on gangs in the south, Little Rock I think. Those were pretty good.

By chance do you know the names of these docs?

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered another. What about documentaries about the Zapatistas?

Edited by Cloudy Ant

Definitely have to echo the love for Louis Theroux. He's English but almost all of his documentaries are based in America and he usually investigates some really bizarre sub-culture. He's done swingers, alien investigators and even trained at the WCW Power Plant, meeting the likes of Roddy Piper and being forced to run 'til he puked so he didn't think wrestling was fake. I'd also highly recommend America's Most Hated Family, where he stays with the Westboro Baptist Church and travels around with them picketing the funerals of dead soldiers.

If you're really after gangland stuff, he recently did a programme called Law and Disorder in Philadelphia where he travelled around with some cops and investigated the policing policies in general. I'd also really, really recommend his Weird Weekends show on black nationalism where he visited the whole spectrum of activists, from spending quite a lot of time with Al Sharpton through to some nutcases who thought Shakespeare was black.

I'd also highly recommend America's Most Hated Family, where he stays with the Westboro Baptist Church and travels around with them picketing the funerals of dead soldiers.

As good as this was (And it was great) I prefer Keith Allens Westboro Documentary, I think it's on YouTube.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt1kN6hzabc

Also, one on gambling in Vegas which was pretty good but unremarkable.

K - will definitely check that out. Found the whole group fascinating because they actually made attempts to justify what they were saying even if Fred Phelps himself is a complete moron.

Cheers, I'm gonna have to check some of these out. (Y)

By chance do you know the names of these docs?

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered another. What about documentaries about the Zapatistas?

Gang War Bangin' in Little Rock. Can't remember the name of the sequel though, might just be Gang War 2.

• 9 years later...