Give me documentaries.

MalaCloudy Black

Does anyone know where I can catch the R. Kelly documentary without having to have a cable or satellite subscription? I've really been wanting to watch it but Lifetime's (iirc) streaming service only works if you have a cable or satellite provider you can login through. 

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:15, apsham said:

Damn, now I have to go watch Fog Of War again.

I saw this thread pop up and literally thought "ooh I know what I could suggest......oh wait, I already did. Ten years ago."

So after watching The Dawn Wall on Netflix, 

In January, 2015, American rock climbers Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson captivated the world with their effort to climb the Dawn Wall, a seemingly impossible 3,000 foot rock face in Yosemite National Park, California. The pair lived on the sheer vertical cliff for weeks, igniting a frenzy of global media attention.

I went and watched Valley Uprising, also on Netflix...

In the shady campgrounds of Yosemite valley, climbers carved out a counterculture lifestyle of dumpster-diving and wild parties that clashed with the conservative values of the National Park Service. And up on the walls, generation after generation has pushed the limits of climbing, vying amongst each other for supremacy on Yosemite's cliffs.

Which is just amazing. I highly recommend watching both. Valley Uprising is a broad story of climbing in Yosemite, whereas Dawn Wall is a deep dive into one particular climb. They compliment each other really well.

• 4 months later...

The BBC Three Documentary, 'Inside The Secret World of Incels' is now available on iPlayer. It features three main stories. And is worth a watch. Some of it is pretty horrifying.

Doc spoilers:

One is a lonely guy who has just kind of accepted that women aren't for him. He hovers around the incel forums, but seems pretty... I dunno, normal I guess. Maybe just isolated? One is a guy that tried to get super hench to impress women, before realising that isn't really what they want. He is now in an internet relationship with a woman who is also a hand-holdless-kissless-virgin, or whatever the phrase is. They're going to meet up. He also makes YouTube videos trying to help people with their self esteem and to get out of the incel community. The third guy is some fuckin asshole called TheCatFishMan or something. He poses as an attractive man on Tinder, agrees dates with women, then when they show up he films himself calling them fucking sluts or whatever. It's shocking and awful. They interview him and he's clearly actually insane.

anyway, check it out. Non-brits... uhh, I dunno. Maybe this link? Might not stay up very long though

Here is the first review I found on google.

https://www.refinery29.com/en-gb/2019/07/237264/inside-the-secret-world-of-incels-bbc-three

Electric Boogaloo is a documentary about Cannon Films, one of the most prolific film companies of the 1980s. They made stuff like Lifeforce, Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2, Invasion USA, Superman 4, and more. 

Just watched AlphaGo on Netflix. it was really good.

"AlphaGo" is about an algorithm that learns how to play the ancient Chinese board game of Go to a superhuman level. The algorithm is built by a team of researchers in London that work for an AI lab called DeepMind, which was acquired by Google in 2014 for £400 million.

The documentary, which currently has a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 100% and an IMDb score of 8.5, sees South Korea's Lee Sedol (a Go world champion) take on an algorithm in a five match tournament in Seoul.

This is the trailer, but it's on netflix

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Howdy Cloudy said:

Someone hit me with some music documentaries. 

A Band Called Death

And, if you have it, check out the ReMastered series on Netflix.  Some great but fairly short documentaries there

• Like 1

• 2 years later...