Tell me about TV shows.

K

God, I did a great rant on Entourage to Zaz when he was trying to decide between it and The Wire. I should try and copy and paste some of that, but in a nutshell it's an okay show that sucks at presenting actual conflict and has a dull as fuck main character. I Netflix it and enjoy it well enough, but that doesn't make it not really really flawed.

Still haven't picked up either, btw. Will hopefully get The Wire off a mate when I go back to Sydney next week.

Breaking Bad is a little depressing, I like it, but I don't think I can power through all the episodes at once without topping myself.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is really good. Comes off as an American Peep Show. Watching Season 1 now. After that, Fixer. Not sure what next.

Bahaha, yeah I've watched the Shield, but I'm not sure if I'm up to date. I've finished Season 6.

These are the shows I've power watched...

30 Rock

Black Books

Bones

Burn Notice

Chuck

DeadZone

Dexter

Early Edition

Firefly

Freaks and Geeks

Futurama

Heroes

Hustle

Inbetweeners

IT Crowd

Last Train

Life

My Name is Earl

Never Mind the Buzzcocks

Oz

Prison Break

Shield

Sliders

Son of the Beach

Sons of Anarchy

Spooks

Twilight Zone

Undeclared

Probably others that I've forgotten as well.

I'm currently getting up to date with Lost, Breaking Bad, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I could probably also catch up on Smallville, the CSIs and watch all of the X-Files in order as well if I get desperate, but I'm not really feeling those at the moment. Well, except CSI maybe. Hmm.

Oh my! Get to watching the rest of The Shield as soon as possible; it's final season is, without a doubt, one of the best, most dramatic and impressive 13 hours of TV.

And The Wire is undoubtedly my favorite show, but it's a very slow moving show (the first two seasons don't really pick up until they're both around episode 7/8). If you're looking for something whose characters have just a bit more depth, that is a bit more realistic, and features some of the best acting in television, and don't mind the snail-like pace at which the stories tend to develop (however, that's not to say the show's boring), then definitely check it out. While it's a cop show and it does deal with inner city gangs, it's not The Shield. Not that it tries to be. Oh, and if you were a fan of the characters in Oz, a couple of the people on that show end up on The Wire in some form or another.

I was also a pretty big fan of Sleeper Cell back when it came out, and am re-watching it now that it's on the 101 Network. There were only 2 seasons released and I think they marketed it as a "mini-series", so there's only about.. 20 episodes, maybe, overall? It's definitely fresher, more intimate and, in my opinion, better than 24 (at least as a narrative); though, again, it's not trying to be that same type of show.. only reason I compare it is because that's the easy comparison to make as both deal with terrorism.

Comedy-wise, you can't go wrong with NBC's version of The Office.

I'll... third? I think it's third the love for Arrested Development. That, outside of Spaced is my favourite comedy show of all-time.

At the risk of sounding like a total queermo, fuck it. I just need to get this off my chest after trying to like it.

My girlfriend thoroughly enjoys The L Word and tried to get me into it when she came here. I didn't object because I got to see lesbians, so whatever. The second season was alright, though this one cunt named Bette was an incredibly fucking annoying character (admittedly that was the point). Surprisingly enough, she was rad in the third season and her girlfriend became a total cunt.

Anyway, season three comes along and the main character basically just comes off as a total fucking shithead who believes herself to be the victim in any situation ever, there's an 'in transition' character who I wouldn't have a problem with if they weren't a complete cunt too (not to mention not deep as a character at all), and hrururuggrrggh.

I get what they were going for and yes lesbians are still awesome, but holy Christ did I despise the main character with a passion for being a smarmy little cunt who figures "YEAH, I'M EDGY AND CAUSE SCENES AND I WON'T BACK DOWN OR APOLOGIZE." It's incrediby one-dimensional and it just pisses me off, especially when five minutes after she flips out on her boyfriend/girlfriend she is happy as all fuck because she finally got her book published. Wtf.

Maybe it gets better, but the overarching storyline of 'THIS NEW CHARACTER'S IN TRANSITION' was just so aggrivating that it overshadowed the rather good storylines in a terrible way, thus ruinining the season more or less.

That bullshit aside, what about House? Admittedly I have not followed it up until this season (which I've heard hasn't been all that great in the opinion of fans) and I really don't know what to think. Yes, it's a shitload better than a lot of TV shows and I still sit down to watch it and I absolutely love Hugh Laurie and the Dr. House character. Is it worth going back and watching everything up until this point when I've got the general idea of the show, though? I mean, especially when the show is so formulaic. That's my only gripe with the show: how formulaic the episodes are with the team fucking up diagonosing patients all the time. If I know all of the major plot points and how the series has come to where it has in terms of story, do I really need to watch it all? On second thought, I guess my mind is already kind of made up reading that back, but this is all just kind of free-flowing bullshit.

So, in summation:

Watch Arrested Development.

The L Word season three was blarrrrgggh, despite the fact that there's lesbians. Maybe it gets better, I dunno.

House: Worth watching everything beforehand if you already know all of the major plotpoints leading up to this season?

Oh, and though you probably have watched it, watch Band of Brothers if you like war shit. David Schwimmer aside, that mini-series never gets old.

I'll be hijacking this topic for a second here since it seems a little silly to post another one just like it.

Veronica Mars. I'm halfway through the first episode and I'm half interested, half not. Is the series good enough to stick with it for a few episodes and wait for it to pick up, or am I just wasting my time? The Kristen Bell lover in me tells me to do it, but the easily distracted part of me tells me I may be better off leaving it.

Also how good/bad is Alias and Charmed? >_> Those are two series that I always thought I might be interested in, but at the time I was such a whedon fanboy that Buffy and Angel were the only things I considered good on TV.

Edited by The UnderTKzer

I don't know if it was mentioned or not but Sons of Anarchy is good if you haven't checked it out yet.

he has, it's one of the ones he powered through.

Veronica Mars. I'm halfway through the first episode and I'm half interested, half not. Is the series good enough to stick with it for a few episodes and wait for it to pick up, or am I just wasting my time? The Kristen Bell lover in me tells me to do it, but the easily distracted part of me tells me I may be better off leaving it.

Stick with it. The first season is fantastic, the second season is really good, and the third season...

... uh. Well the first two seasons are good.

Let me know what you think of the Fixer when you get around to it. I haven't talked to anyone else who has watched it, so it'd be interesting to know what you think.

I think it tried really hard to be gritty, and at times a little too hard and came off a bit silly. Overall I liked it though.