Children of Established Arists.

Hobo

I have a pretty agéd taste in music. With that a lot of the kids of people I like to listen to have grown up and made there own music. Most infamously for me would be the kids of Loudon Wainwright III, Rufus and Martha. I'm not a fan of Rufus, his voice is like his dads when he was younger only more nasal, plus he just seems like a bit of a "I take my self too seriously" kinda guy in direct contrast to his dads clownish persona. Martha is okay, I've only got her first album but I can't listen to it all the way through.

Of course there is Jakob Dylan, I've listened to some of his stuff and some of the Wallflowers stuff too. Not really sure if I like it all that much, but I don't really hate it. I've never heard any Alexa Ray Joel (daughter of Billy Joel) or anything by Leonard Cohen's son Adam, I've also seen Townes Van Zandt's son on YouTube doing covers of his dad but never watched the videos. I also know that Warren Zevon's son Jordan is a musician, I've seen him preform 'Lawyers, Guns and Money' with The Wallflowers (he played guitar and sang harmony I think with Jakob Dylan, aside from singing the line "send lawyers, guns and money, Dad Get me out of this!" on the Zevon tribute album Enjoy Every Sandwitch he sings Studebaker.)

That is about all I can think of except this man:

justinearle.jpg

Son of:

steveearle070903_560.jpg

Justin Townes Earle is pretty fucking awesome, because of A) He's Steve Earle's son B) He's named after Townes Van Zandt and C) He's generally pretty awesome in a folk-country-Americana(whatever-the-hell-that-is) kinda way.

Though I'm sure there are a few famous musicians kids who have been the musical version of David Flair. Justin Townes Earle is the one I've listened to the most, and I recommend him to anyone who likes that kind of music or indeed Steve Earle.

For me, my favorite is probably Sean Lennon, whose solo work I like as much if not more than his dad's solo work (now, if you took The Beatles into account then the odds of Sean ever surpassing his dad are like 1%). It helps that he runs/has run in a really excellent circle having been a member of Cibo Matto for a couple years (he still works with Yuka Honda, despite the fact that they broke up ages ago) and being part of that group of collaborators that included the members of the band, Dan the Automator, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, and so on. I just wish he'd release more than one album per decade.

I like Justin Townes Earle's new album.

Anyway, there's also Ben Taylor, son of James who is pretty decent. Um...the Hank Williams dynasty of course. I should be able to think of more.

Zak Starkey <_<

Oh and Nacy Sinatra of course.

Edited by aluminiumman!

George Harrison's son has a band called thenewno2 who aren't too bad.

And then he's not a musician and it's sorta relevant to the topic but David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, is a director and has a movie with Sam Rockwell coming out this summer called Moon.

For me, my favorite is probably Sean Lennon, whose solo work I like as much if not more than his dad's solo work (now, if you took The Beatles into account then the odds of Sean ever surpassing his dad are like 1%). It helps that he runs/has run in a really excellent circle having been a member of Cibo Matto for a couple years (he still works with Yuka Honda, despite the fact that they broke up ages ago) and being part of that group of collaborators that included the members of the band, Dan the Automator, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, and so on. I just wish he'd release more than one album per decade.

This should in fact be the Sean Lennon is Awesome thread.

We got this far without mentioning Jeff Buckley? Him and Sean Lennon are pretty much the only two worth anything, except Rufus Wainwright...who I like, but not nearly as much as I like Loudon. Oh and Hank Williams III, though Hank Jr. not so much.

Julian Lennon had one decent single.

Tal Bachman's not bad for late 90s pop.

Those are the first two to come to mind, anyhow.

Julian was on Howard Stern and Howard asked him how he thinks Yoko feels about him being the son with all the talent. >_<

Anyway, the Williams bloodline is trippy.

Hank Jr. went outlaw.

Hank III does outlaw country and switches over to "Death Metal" or whatever mid-show.

Check out his stuff here.

But Holly Williams has a style similar to Sheryl Crow.

BTW, Hank must have married a hottie.

• 2 weeks later...