Sign in to follow this  
Hellfire

Official Rap Thread

Hellfire    109

We have a thread for metal and a thread for YI's indy faggotry (I kid, I kid :D) but there's nothing for hip hop, rap, r&b and all other related and wonderful music. So why not? So what have you been listening' to recently?

Right now, these are a couple of the songs I've got in rotation

Charles Hamilton - Brooklyn Girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DiC8V8S_REhk

I've been bumpin' this song for months now but I still don't get sick of it. Hamilton has a chilled out flow and the beats complement him perfectly. Normally I would just skip a song about a rappers sexual exploits but he raps in such a laid back way that I can't help but bob my head.

K'naan - Wavin' Flag

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DiC8V8S_REhk

This is one of the most relaxing songs I've heard. It's hopeful and upbeat and just makes me feel better after its over. I'm a big fan of rappers from other countries because they tell stories that are different from the normal stuff you hear in hip hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DjuT9i9LyU6M

Rich Boy - Lets Get This Paper

Rich Boy is a conundrum for me. In one hand, he put out Throw Some D's and significant portion of first album is garbage. On the other hand, he put out this song on the same album, which is as heartfelt as you can get. Polow da Don's beat though....holy fuck that is great, the choir just adds something to the song and gives it an epic feel.

Edited by Hellfire

YI    246

WOT YOU KNOW ABOUT GANGSTER LFIE!? DEM BYOS DEM BOYS THEY GOT GUNS AND KNIVES!! DEM BOYS DEM BOYS THEY SELL DRUGS AT NICE!! AND THEY'RE ALWAYS ON THE RUN FROM THE WHOOP! WHOOP!!! RIGHT!!

Two Fingers are fuckign awesome (Amon Tobin sideprocject), "Whatuknowabout" is a fucking tune;

http://www.myspace.com/2wofingers

LittleDaniel    5,894

I've been listening to a lot of Immortal Technique lately, here's "Dance With the Devil" off of Revolutionary Vol. One. I LOVE the piano. Rap in general needs more piano.

Aesop Rock's "Coffee" off of None Shall Pass. I love the Mountain Goats, so this is just great for me.

One of my favorite rap songs, "Inherited Scars" by Sager Francis off of his first album.

And finally the song I'm listening to right now:

Edited by LittleDaniel

Ananas    81

I'm on a Canadian hip-hop kick:

k-os (ft. Saukrates, Nelly Furtado) - I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman

I'd have a hard time believing anyone would make a hip-hop track sampling Phantom Planet's "California". I'd have an even harder time believing that they'd do it to great effect. And yet, there's this track. I love k-os getting back to being an MC, it suits him a bit better than the pop crossover hipster image he cultivated on Atlantis (although I loved that record too). And Saukrates is one of the most underappreciated MC's period.

K'naan (ft. Adam Levine) - Bang Bang

I second the K'naan love, and there are so many great tracks on Troubadour to pick from. Truthfully, ABC's (ft. Chubb Rock) is probably my favourite, and perhaps If Rap Gets Jealous (ft. Kirk Hammett) is second, but this one just came out of nowhere. Because really, how high can ones expectations really be with Adam Levine from Maroon 5 featured? But this one delivers.

Everywhere you look there are odes to NYC, Chicago, LA, Atlanta or any other major American city with a hip-hop scene, so there's no reason why the hub of Canadian rap should be any difference. And there are a few (Abdominal's T-Ode or IRS' T-Dot Anthem come to mind), but this one can be a banger and not just cornball patriotism. The underground hip-hop scene in Toronto is bubbling under right now, and I think in the next few years you'll see a lot more break through than just the back-pack rap that has pervaded the scene in recent years.

YI    246

And I'll have you know, the 'l33t' thread is where people talk about wanky indie AND where I go on about punk rock bands nobody's heard of/givbes a fuck about.

Made a thread about funny as fuck/hilarious 'grime' in the lounge. But i do really like this tune;

Makes m wish I was black to should "You Got......BOOOOOOYYYYYYD!!!!!"

Edited by YI

Hellfire    109
I'm on a Canadian hip-hop kick

Canada's got some real talent that they've been hiding away. My favorite right now is Classified though.

Classified - Anybody Listening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5AxlLfQl3M

I love upbeat songs, especially during the spring and summer. This has pretty much everything. Upbeat lyrics and a banging almost 80's type beat.

Classified - Beatin' It

http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DO_LdFCTWsGg

Craziness. I've never heard anyone try this before and the piano loop sample is good shit. I'm a big fan of good beats, this definitely would classify as one.

And I'll have you know, the 'l33t' thread is where people talk about wanky indie AND where I go on about punk rock bands nobody's heard of/givbes a fuck about.

Made a thread about funny as fuck/hilarious 'grime' in the lounge. But i do really like this tune;

Makes m wish I was black to should "You Got......BOOOOOOYYYYYYD!!!!!"

I know all about the l33t thread, I've been in there way more than I'd like to admit. I don't even have words for that video though. It looks like they all have bight lights on them when its dark, because otherwise all you could see is their eyes.

Next time I go out to the club, I'm yelling that though.

Edited by Hellfire

Dynamite    151

"I Wish i Knew Natalie Portman" is awesome. Easily my favourite song right now and possibly of the year so far. The other song from that album I can't stop playing is 4 3 2 1. I'm hooked on those two.

MDK    19,945

Anyone else heard the new Eminem album?

I've listened to it a couple of times, I quite like it, better than the last one. Same Song and Dance is my favourite off the new record so far, the chorus is catchy as fuck.

livid    1,678

Yeah, I'm about half way through it right now and it's pretty good. I've always liked him but this one's better than his stuff has been in awhile.

DMN    3,176

Atmosphere, Atmosphere, Atmosphere.

• Like 1

SRN    2,024

The only rap that matters is Captain Dan & The Scurvy Crew.

*leaves*

Dynamite    151

I got bored of Immortal Technique very quickly. He's got a good sound and he's a great wordsmith but listening to him talk about the same topics over and over again just doesn't appeal to me.

• Like 1

Hellfire    109
Any Immortal Technique fans?

I was a huge Tech fan a couple of years ago, but now not so much. I heard good things about the new album and I checked out a couple of tracks, but I'm going to have to agree with Dynamite, its pretty much the same old song and dance with him.

On the eminem front, I actually haven't checked out the new album yet due to computer problems, but I'm going to get right on that. I didn't like the first single, the track with him and Dre was alright and I liked the 3 am joint. Only thing I wasn't feeling was the accent. Whats the deal with it?

livid    1,678

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what is up with his voice in 3 AM. He doesn't really use it anywhere in it though.

And I like Immortal Technique and I like the new album too. He does pretty much talk about the same stuff but still a good album, IMO.

TOG    8

Just listened to 3AM, I thought it was awful.

Just an edit, I just heard Insane and that's a good track. Beat is hot, good pump-up music. Old Time's Sake was alright. Nothing remarkable.

On the mixtape front, Kid Cudi's DatKidFromCleveland mixtape is A+. Highly recommend it.

Edited by 'Hardwork' Bobby Walker

Hellfire    109

I think that the Relapse album was a concept type album, with Eminem changing his persona from Slim Shady back to the old Eminem. He drops the accent near the end of the album, and the last track was pretty much just a freestyle type track. Add to the fact that he's putting out the Relapse 2 in the near future as well and you have me real excited.

I really did like the CD though, I'd put it third behind the Slim Shady LP and the Marshall Mathers LP, but you can't really compare them in my view.

Edited by Hellfire

Just listened to 3AM, I thought it was awful.

Just an edit, I just heard Insane and that's a good track. Beat is hot, good pump-up music. Old Time's Sake was alright. Nothing remarkable.

On the mixtape front, Kid Cudi's DatKidFromCleveland mixtape is A+. Highly recommend it.

Cant stand Kid Cudi, overrated as fuck. I thought he'd be special after the awesome Day 'N Nite, then I heard the rest of his shit and it's exactly that, shit.

Finally heard the Eminem album and it's fantastic. I thought it'd be very average after the 'We Made You', which I cant stand. Turns out I was wrong. I'm not a huge fan of the style he uses on certain tracks, but it works for many of them. And let's be honest, he's got another classic in 'Beautiful'. I've never been his biggest fan, but he has the knack to pull out these amazingly emotional songs such as that one and he tells a story as good as any rapper ever has done and ever will do. And he's hyped Relapse 2 fantastically from this album and I'm expecting it to be nothing but Eminem, no different style voices, just him doing what he does best. I think this is just part one of him bowing out from actually rapping, certainly with Dre dropping his final album this year. 'Insane', 'Medicine', 'Hello' and 'Deja Vu' are all pretty awesome tracks and of course 'Crack A Bottle' is still a great track despite being leaked months and months ago. Huge plus for the guy and I cant wait to see what he brings on the next album, which is apparently due in September.

Really though, it's still all about the wait on Dre's album. The most anticipated in rap history, will he fucking ever drop it? It's said it's coming for sure this year, I fucking hope so. And honestly, after such a long wait, I'm expecting one of the greatest rap albums of all time and I'm expecting Dre is feeling the same way. Also Snoop has an album coming later this year (Doggfather still at the top of rap :wub: ) and so far it's looking like he's trying some nice experiments with this one, like he did with Ego Trippin'. I loved 'Snoop Dogg Millionaire' and cant wait for this album.

Hellfire    109
I thought it'd be very average after the 'We Made You', which I cant stand. Turns out I was wrong.

On a lot of his albums have a couple of stupid, goofing off type tracks but thankfully this is the only one. It's mind boggling that they released it as the first single though, that song is trash. Only turd on the whole thing though, everything else is good or better.

I forgot to say before but Dre's beats on Relapse were amazing. The guy just keeps pumping out fire time after time. I'm really excited for the second half of relapse and Detox. With all the hype on Detox though, can it really hold up to it? I mean, in order for it to live up to the hype the album is going to have to be able to give people orgasms or something.

There's no way Detox lives up the hype. No way. It's going to be the rap game's Chinese Democracy. Chinese Democracy wasn't bad, but after how many years? 15 or some shit? It wasn't nearly as great as everyone wanted it to be. Detox is gonna be the same way; it'll probably be a solid album - GOOD, even - but nowhere near what it's hyped to be.

• Like 1

OGpistolpete    628

Little Brother anyone?

I love 9th Wonder as well. He used to be apart of Little Brother, but went on to produce albums for other artists, while Little Brother continued to do what they do, and do it well.

Dynamite    151

I love Little Brother but I haven't been able to check out any of their more recent stuff. Is there anything from after Getback that I should look into either from them as a group or their solo stuff?

I just listened to Asher Roth's album. It's a solid effort but after The Greenhouse Effect I guess I was jusf expecting more. There are some decent tracks on there still but nothing that amazed me.

88 Keys' The Death of Adam is brilliant. He switches his style up often enough to keep you interested in the music and the story that goes along with it is quite fun. The lady narrating the story has a horrible voice though. Ho is Short For Honey is a great track.

There's no way Detox lives up the hype. No way. It's going to be the rap game's Chinese Democracy. Chinese Democracy wasn't bad, but after how many years? 15 or some shit? It wasn't nearly as great as everyone wanted it to be. Detox is gonna be the same way; it'll probably be a solid album - GOOD, even - but nowhere near what it's hyped to be.

If anything, it's not hyped as much as it should be. People started to stop talking about it years ago, because it's taken so long. The point is though that Dre was focusing on building other stars (Eminem, 50 etc) and knew this would be his final album and didn't need to rush it. He's APPARENTLY recorded close to 500 tracks and anything that's been leaked thus far has close to zero chance of ever making it on the album. I think that's one of the big reasons he's had set backs, there's no way he wants the album leaked at any stage. And to try and compare it to Chinese Democracy is pathetic, it really is. The fact of the matter is that Dre is still the greatest producer in rap music and he pretty much had the chance to work with any single talent for this album, so there's no chance it'll be average or just 'good', trying to compared it to a washed up Guns N Roses record is a joke. It will be fantastic if you ask me, but because it's Dre and because at stages there's been so much hype, I'm personally expecting better than fantastic. If he drops it this year, I certainly cant see there being a better rap album all year. The real question is whether or not it'll go down as one of the best of all time, which we'll have to wait and see.

OGpistolpete    628
I love Little Brother but I haven't been able to check out any of their more recent stuff. Is there anything from after Getback that I should look into either from them as a group or their solo stuff?

Getback was great, and all they put out was Justus For All, which I haven't checked out yet.

But I would seriously pick-up Dream Merchant 2 by 9th Wonder.