2009/2010 NBA Thread

jrtdot

The draft is tomorrow, very exciting things happening!

The Wolves now have two picks at 5 and 6.

This may be a very unpredicatable draft after the first 3-5 picks. I expect a lot of trades to happen today and draft day as with the cap and a somewhat thin picking order teams may want to dump picks for sure thing NBA ballers this season.

Also, what about this years crop of Free Agents! I mean its still not as stacked as 2010 but look at the list of potentials: Kobe Bryant, Carlos Boozer, Allen Iverson, Ron Artest, Jason Kidd, Shawn Marion, Andre Miller, Lamar Odom and Rasheed Wallace can become unrestricted free agents this summer.

here is the rest of UFAs and RFAs: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?p...reeagents-09-10

Edited by jrtdot

I wouldn't list Iverson as a big name FA, there's a good chance he won't get 1/5 of the money Ben Gordon is going to get.

Also, as a Bulls fan I'm praying for a bigger sized 2. I'm so tired of a small back-court.

For what it worth

Chris Broussard: A league source tells me there's a 50-50 chance of the Shaq-to-Cleveland trade going down either tonight or tomorrow. "It could be a three-team deal, but it doesn't have to be," says the source.

I'm also told that Chris Kaman and Tyson Chandler are being shopped and could have new homes tomorrow.

The likely deal that I have heard between PHX-CLE is B. Wallace and Pavlovic for Shaq the reasoning being that they could dump wallace who would probably retire and Sasha is only guaranteed like a million or two on his contract so they could dump him as well to get under the luxury tax and provide their owner with some financial relief. No idea if what I have heard is true or not.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Pistons pursue Chandler or Kaman. They could use a decent big man with Sheed, Johnson, and possibly McDyess gone.

But were not, and Im happy. I would rather have the cap space than get one of those two

Realgm.com

The Warriors and Hawks have agreed in principle to a trade that will send Jamal Crawford to Atlanta in exchange for Speedy Claxton and Acie Law.

The deal will not be officially completed until July 1st.

Sources say that the trade does not rule out the possibility of Golden State drafting a point guard in Thursday's draft.

The Warriors expect to receive insurance compensation on 80% of Claxton's contract since he is not expected to play.

Also according to ESPN and RealGm, the Lakers are shopping around their 29th pick in an attempt to save as much money as possible so they can resign Odom, Ariza and Brown along with Kobe

Knicks-Grizzlies trade

Posted on: June 24, 2009 10:43 pm

The Knicks and Grizzlies are discussing a trade that would send Quentin Richardson from New York to Memphis for Darko Milicic, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to CBSSports.com.

It's not clear whether draft picks are involved, although the Knicks and Grizzlies also have discussed Memphis' 27th overall pick. Cash considerations would go to the Grizzlies.

Milicic would have a chance to thrive as a one-year rental in Mike D'Antoni's wide-open offensive system ... and thriving is not something Darko has done particularly well since he was infamously selected No. 2 overall by the Pistons in the 2003 draft. You know, the draft in which LeBron James went No. 1, followed by Milicic, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, and Dwyane Wade.

This trade rumor makes me sad. I know it's a payroll dump but Darko getting minutes on your team is a not so subtle cry for help.

To be fair, has Darko EVER got enough minutes anywhere for it to truly be seen what he could be?

'06-'07 80 games/16 starts with Orlando he got about 24 MPG and averaged 8.0 PPG & 5.5 RPG

'07-'08 70 games/64 starts with Memphis he got about 24 MPG and averaged 7.2 PPG & 6.1 RPG

Memphis then cut his starts and his minutes last year. For his career he's a 45% FG shooter and a woeful 59% FT shooter. He just turned 24 earlier this week, but the damage is already done. The fact that his draft class is on pace to have 3 first ballot HOFers in the top 5 is just salt in the wounds. He's also made over $23 million in his career and probably doesn't give a shit anymore because he can probably be a king in Serbia if he chooses to go back home after this next year.

I don't like double posting, but this is big.

The Cavs agreed in principle to acquire Shaquille O'Neal from the Suns, Ken Berger of CBSSports.com has confirmed. The Suns will receive Ben Wallace, Sasha Pavlovic and the 46th overall pick in Thursday's draft.

I don't know how to feel about this. Shaq is one of my all time faves, but LeBronze is one of those guys I hope never wins a championship. That Phoenix window is just about officially shut now though so that's a positive side effect of this deal.

Bill Simmon's Letter to Blake Griffin

So here's the link to Bill Simmon's hilarious rundown of how woeful the Clippers have been in their entire history and why Blake Griffin should pull a John Elway come the draft. I thought it was absolutely hilarious and well thought out and I agree with him. Wanted to share with ya.

I think the Shaq deal is actually a desperate attempt from a very poor GM in Danny Ferry to help phoenix out because Amare's never going to be right. Every key kog in that machine not named Steve Nash has been traded away and it's no longer the team that was screwed outta the 2007 NBA Championship. It is officially a mess and it's sad because Phoenix has always been one of the best run organizations and one that you can count on having good teams.

I hope they can turn it around. Get better.

Shaq isn't the same. He's not going to help Lebron out as he is no longer the big man who was one of the first players up the floor. And Cleveland needs to run to be effective and Shaq bogs them down even more. He is a more athletic version of Illguskus. And we know Big Z can barely make it up the court as is.

This is terrible. They still down have a reliable second scoring option for Lebron. All they did was get older by subtraction. It makes no sense to me at all.

They turn retiring Ben Wallace, Sasha Pavlovich and the 46th overall pick into Shaq, no matter how bad he is, and you're clearly forgetting he had a pretty good season for his age last year, that's a spectacular deal. LeBron and Shaq will figure out a way to play very effectively together, that's what great players do. Plus, the Cavs probably aren't done in free agency and can still add another good player to their mix. Its a one year deal with Shaq, if it doesn't work out, they let him walk next year and thats millions more they have to play with in 2010. You're reacting like they traded away Mo Williams, please tell him out keeping soon to be retired Wallace and Sasha would have been any more helpful than acquiring Shaq.

So Steve Kerr is basically the worst GM ever right? I've never seen someone just systematically destroy a good team. Sure, The Suns team he inherited would have never won the title, but they were making deep runs into the playoffs each year. And now they've gotten worse each season he's been in control and continue to throw out good players that worked in their system and get absolutely nothing in return. He essentially traded Shawn Marion for Sasha Pavlovich and the 46th overall pick in this year's draft. Rumors are swirling he's going to move Amare, probably not for anything good, and next season he'll lose Steve Nash and if the Suns' owners had any sense, he'll lose his job too. He isn't restructuring the team, he definitely isn't rebuilding or setting up building blocks for the future, he just seems to be outright destroying a once good team.

On the Darko front, I think if anyone is going to get something out of him at this point, it'll be D'antoni and his euroball system.

Edited by Maxx

Darko will always be the Human Victory Cigar in my eyes, and he got a ring before everyone else in his draft class, so it has to mean something :shifty:

On the Shaq trade, while it is an upgrade from the shitty ass frontcourt they had last year, it won't be enough to push them over the top

Darko's not completely terrible. He's a bust for being the second overall pick ahead of Wade, Melo, and Bosh. But still, the guy's got a solid mid-range game for a big man and he's an above average shot blocker, and that was the biggest need for the Knicks last year. I actually like that deal for them.

Also, beautiful move on the part of the Hawks. With a point guard heavy draft, they can easily draft another backup PG to replace Acie Law. And now they'll finally have a consistant scorer off the bench who can stretch the defense with his range in Jamal Crawford. Especially considering Flip Murray is likely not going to stay, this is a great move for them.

Hate to be the bearer of bad rumors, but ESPN Insider has this little tidbit about the hawks

What's the upshot of the Hawks' rumored deal for Jamal Crawford?

If it goes through, I think you can kiss Mike Bibby goodbye, Hawks fans. A source close to Bibby told ESPN.com that Hawks management has sent the signal to Bibby that they might not re-sign him this summer.

The trade for Crawford doesn't preclude them from taking a point guard in Thursday's draft. The team is looking at Brandon Jennings, Eric Maynor and Jeff Teague.

If it turns out to be true, oh Atlanta, one step forward, two steps back, as usual.

So Steve Kerr is basically the worst GM ever right? I've never seen someone just systematically destroy a good team. Sure, The Suns team he inherited would have never won the title, but they were making deep runs into the playoffs each year. And now they've gotten worse each season he's been in control and continue to throw out good players that worked in their system and get absolutely nothing in return. He essentially traded Shawn Marion for Sasha Pavlovich and the 46th overall pick in this year's draft. Rumors are swirling he's going to move Amare, probably not for anything good, and next season he'll lose Steve Nash and if the Suns' owners had any sense, he'll lose his job too. He isn't restructuring the team, he definitely isn't rebuilding or setting up building blocks for the future, he just seems to be outright destroying a once good team.

All indications have all of Phoenix's moves, the Shaq deal especially, being at the owner's demand, all to save money.

Amare is going to be gone sooner than later, and so will Nash, as they try to go cheap and young.

All indications have all of Phoenix's moves, the Shaq deal especially, being at the owner's demand, all to save money.

Amare is going to be gone sooner than later, and so will Nash, as they try to go cheap and young.

Yeah, let's not forget Phoenix has been in the habit of selling off their 2nd round draft picks so they don't have to pay luxury tax. Now that the team no longer has a shot at winning a title (not that they ever really did) there's going to be a firesale. Cheap owners should be made to sell their teams instead of nickel and diming the fans with a budget conscious roster.

ESPN is reporting the Nets and Magic are discussing a trade that would send Vince Carter to Orlando for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee