Gold Cup 09!

Guest Ringmaster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching the Mexico-Costa Rica semifinal, and Mexico missed a penalty kick early in the second half then they score about 10 or 15 minutes before the end, the ref adds 3 minutes of extra time and at 92:53 Costa Rica scores and ties the game, Mexico-Costa rica are now on Overtime.

EDIT: Mexico just defeated Costa Rica on penalty kicks, 5-3. Mexico vs. United States in the Finals.

Edited by Powerhart

Yeah it seems like Holden has gone from uncapped to now in the discussion for the 23 for South Africa. He'll have to get tested in some WCQ since most of the teams that were at the Gold Cup were either B sides or minnows. That being said he assisted both goals last night and I particularly was impressed with his corner and along with what he has done lately he has the versatility to play any of the midfield positions well.

Granted the US team had maybe one or two guys(Ching, Holden) that will even be on the roster for the upcoming WCQ against Mexico and Mexico had 4 or 5 probable starters that was just a disgrace. The defense got completely shredded in the second half and that was what did the US in, well that and probably having no real threat moving forward didn't help.

The sad thing is that it was 0-0 at half so those 5 goals were all in the second half. Not going to lie it almost seemed like the US just gave up at some point because the defense was almost non existent. Dissapointing considering that we have never won in Azteca were we are playing Mexico on Aug 12th and it would have been nice going in with all the momentum, although like I said before basically no one from this US team will even be playing come August.

Well if there were some guys who were going to play on August 12th they won't know after that match. I'm Mexican and I doubted Mexicou would even win 1-0, but hey, I'm not complaining. On a side note, only Costa Rica has defeated Mexico in the Azteca.