I never listen to radio

Benji

Earlier I was thinking "I never listen to radio anymore", I turned on Radio 1 and was greeted with an British "urban" track about a guy having a Mercedes-Benz that made me forget how good those songs were in early 2000, I promptly realised why I stopped since it is now 2009.

True story.

Edited by Sugar Benji Helms

Oi! Dan! Wot you call this?

Why have you got me spittin' on this?

I don't usually spit on tracks like these

But it's just the start and I'm startin' to like it

also, wtf is with "garage" music? can i put my car in it and maybe an old dart board i don't use anymore?!?!

e: wait, that's dumb. i don't own a car.

Hearing anything but americans rap like that is just painful

Amazing British Rappers -

Bashy, Foreign Beggars, Roots Manuva, Skinnyman, Professor Green, Kano, Akala, Riz MC, Kate Tempest, Shystie, Example

Example - You Can't Rap

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Professor Green - Stereotypical Man

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344">

Riz MC - Post 9/11 Blues

">

Skinnyman + Foreign Beggars - Hold On

">

Kano - This Is The Girl (ft. Craig David)

">

Ha ha yes I too have heard of this rap "music".

More like cRap music, amirite?

Yes, for you see "rap" is actually an acronym, and it stands for Retards Attempting Poetry! Hahaha![/douchebag top 40 rock radio white guy]

At least Craig David doesn't rap in that. Or at least not up to the point I stopped watching -- Kano's flow wasn't doing a lot for me. The Foreign Beggars thing was pretty good though. "Post 9-11 Blues" was kind of cringe in places but "if I haven't shaved / they won't sit with me on the bus" is awesome.

My own contribution is

from 1985. This is like the British-ified "Fuck the Police'; less crude, more fun. (I guess that makes "Post 9-11 Blues", like, the British version of something by Immortal Technique or something). Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

^ That's awesome

Hey, just for reference, can we claim Slick Rick and Young MC? I mean they were born in London...

No..?

Please...?

This is my favourite Lethal B track...

Edit: That's not Lethal B, sorry... here he is

">

And because it was on my clipboard, Akala...

">

Here's Riz MC alongside some more amazing British Talent, Plan B and Sway. He's a lot more low key and serious in this one

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

Smiley Culture's bigger hit was

incidentally.

That Bizzle track is awesome. I should really check him out properly -- I know I'd probably like it, so... Alkala was O.K.; he has some good rhymes but his voice feels kind of generic to me. The last video (with Riz) was really good, though. Who does the second verse? I like the rap/electro blend. There seems to be a lot of that around at the moment from what I've heard -- grime & so on. It's not what I'm used to -- I generally prefer the East Coast style of understated, funky basslines. But I think I could get used to the more layered stuff.

Right, I'm going to go and figure out the "Police on My Back" bassline now.

The black guy in the video is Sway.

Example (The first video I posted) is experimenting with a dirty electro style at the moment. It's more suited to a live environment than it is MP3, but if you're interested there's a link to his free Mixtape here...

http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8vd3d3Ln...TRlMTE2OWE5MC8=

It's real dirty though, not like that Sway song at all.

Shit, you posting Smiley Culture popped Tippa Irie up in the related videos. Amazing talent, forgot all about him.

">

Edit: Tippa performs on my favourite Chali 2na (Of Jurassic 5 fame) song, and I'm glad someone has finally put it on YouTube

I love hip hop but I find it hard to get into much of the UK stuff aside from Kano and occasionally Wiley. The one thing I look for in a good rapper is a decent flow where they can adjust to the beats and not just go 100mph like almost every guy out there on Channel U. All the UK stuff that has gone commercial in the past few months (N Dubz, Tinchy, Chipmunk etc.) has been horrible.

The obvious answer seems to be stop watching Channel U. Channel U has always been about promoting low budget Grime acts.

There's a lot of amazing UK Hip-Hop if you look hard enough.

Check out Plan-B.

">

Chipmunks just a little kid that got swept up in being famous, I don't blame him for cashing in.

Bashy, Foreign Beggars, Roots Manuva, Skinnyman, Professor Green, Kano, Akala, Riz MC, Kate Tempest, Shystie, Example

This. A thousand times this. I stand out from my social circle for not liking what they like. See: Lady GaGa, T.I etc. But, Kano is actually one of my likes. I have all his albums, :D

This. A thousand times this. I stand out from my social circle for not liking what they like. See: Lady GaGa, T.I etc. But, Kano is actually one of my likes. I have all his albums, :D

Ha ha, yes. You truly are a unique snowflake. Fight the power my friend.