EWB Play-Along: Pokémon FireRed

probablyoliver

I went with Charmander when I started. Also a Pidgey got three critical hits on me in a row on the way to Viridian City and god damn killed Charmander.

Team

- Charmander Level 10

- Spearow Level 7

- Mankey Level 7

I'll grab a Pikachu from Viridian Forest I think. Been a while since I actually used one. I'll make sure to even out my team when I get through the Viridian Forest.

EDIT: All level 10 now. Oh, if anyone needs it there's a hidden Potion opposite the last Bug Catcher you battle in the forest. I always pick it up. Still searching for a Pikachu now.

Edited by PkmnTrainerJ

When he's learnt all of his auto-learned moves that you want him to learn. Check what/when they are on the internet somewhere.

Cheers, lv 41 it is then I guess, unless I find and subsequently use the Thunder TM on him, then of course it'll be 26. Just got through Viridian forest and decided not to bother training Caterpie to a Butterfree, really don't see the need. So my team is,

Bulbasaur lv 10

Pidgey lv 14

Pikachu lv 9

Onto Brock I go now and give him a rather easy whipping with Bulba which should get him closer to Pidgey's level.

I feel like if I'm to play this game, I must challenge myself.

SO! My aim will be to build a team (as early as physically possible) which is not balanced as usual, but rather centred around one Pokemon type!

...But which type?

- Grass

- Water

- Fire

- Electric

- Rock

- Flying

- Poison

- Fighting

- Psychic

- Bug

- Normal

I forget if there are any others...other than Ghost, which doesn't have enough to count.

Decide for me while I commute back home from work!

If you're going to do a monotype team, and have some variety I'd say a Normal type team would be good. Raticate will serve pretty well as your main after you ditch the starter.

Got a level 5 Pikachu, and now team is:

- Charmander Level 10

- Spearow Level 10

- Mankey Level 10

- Pikachu Level 9

Brock should be defeated easily with Low Kick and after that I'm not sure whether to catch a Zubat in Mt. Moon or not. May go for Paras or Clefairy instead though.

Edited by PkmnTrainerJ

So I'll be starting this tonight, but I'm thinking... rather than catch random Pokemon, I may catch just enough for my party (and maybe a few spares for the PC). This will leave me at the disadvantage of not having a full team during battles early on, but should allow me to focus on training my Pokemon up to be much stronger than they normally would be. I'll probably pay attention to things like vitamins, and when I choose to allow evolution, which I never normally bother with. I'm thinking I should probably catch one to learn each HM.

1. Cut - Grass/Poison/Bug

2. Fly - Flying/Normal

3. Surf - Water/Ice

4. Strength - Fire/Fighting

5. Flash - Electric/Psychic

6. Rock Smash - Rock/Ground

Does that sound about right?

That way I'll have a well rounded team by the time I've caught all I want. Anybody got any recomendations for who should fill each role in my team? Ideally based on when they come into play... so, I'll need to catch a Pokemon suited for Cut fairly early on (at least before Vermillion City, IIRC). Ideally the strongest of each type.

I'd like to have a few Pokemon in the early going to that I'm not a sitting duck, but ones that I'll intend on keeping throughout the game. Catching as many as I can just doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Edited by Nerf

Also, some fucking Pokémon expert Oak is, he's only got three, and a blank Pokedex. He's blatantly just a charlatan and/or paedophile.

He's just lazy, his own grand daughter said so when I just got a map from her. Just starting off on this, picked up a Charmander as I haven't had a fire type starter in a while. Plan on picking up a Pikachu and Mankey on the way at least.

So, just got the fuck kicked out of me by Gary (or Prick, as he is now known) and his Bulbasaur, but made short work of the rest of his Pokémon. I'm meant to be facing Misty next, it would appear, but I've got a feeling she'd fucking massacre me - even my limited knowledge of the strategy or "types" of Pokémon, and me generally knowing absolutely nothing about what's going on in this game AT ALL can safely assume that my Pokéteam is not going to fare well against a team of Water types;

Wartortle (Lvl 26)

Pidgey (Lvl 12)

Metapod (Lvl 10)

Wigglytuff (Lvl 11)

Zubat (Lvl 11)

Geodude (Lvl 10)

Yeah. I suck at strategy. I doubt my Lvl 5 Magikarp, Weedle and Ratata will be of much use either. Though I do have a level 14 Oddish knocking about.

Oh wait, I forgot, Wartortle FUCKS UP YOUR SHIT. Ha.

Edited by Skummy

Ah, the arrogance of youth. Just rushed into a battle with Misty thinking that my level 16 Pikachu could handle it, two Water Pulses later and I had to re-think my strategy... which turned out to be die with dignity. Looks like I've got some painfully boring training to do in that little patch of grass outside Cerulean City.

My Pokemans:

Squirtle (Lv. 16)

Pikachu (Lv. 16)

Nidoran ♂ (Lv. 14)

Clefairy (Lv. 11)

Caterpie (Lv. 4)

EDIT: Also, where the fuck did you guys get Mankeys?

Edited by Kiss 2 Kill

Ah, the arrogance of youth. Just rushed into a battle with Misty thinking that my level 16 Pikachu could handle it, two Water Pulses later and I had to re-think my strategy... which turned out to be die with dignity. Looks like I've got some painfully boring training to do in that little patch of grass outside Cerulean City.

My Pokemans:

Squirtle (Lv. 16)

Pikachu (Lv. 16)

Nidoran ♂ (Lv. 14)

Clefairy (Lv. 11)

Caterpie (Lv. 4)

EDIT: Also, where the fuck did you guys get Mankeys?

That was exactly what happened to me with Misty. Walk in like I'm ready to be the new gym leader, bust out my Pikachu all cockily, WATER PULSE FTW! fuck.

Just beat Misty with my Squirtle, although Pikachu had done almost all the work.

My team, with levels in parenthesis.

>> Squirtle (20)

>> Pikachu (18)

>> Spearow (17)

>> Mankey (17)

>> Abra (15)

Spent ages trying to get that damn Abra, in the process of making him into a Kadabra as we speak... trying to figure out what type of Pokémon should get the last spot on the team (for now).

I'm in Cerulean City but might skip it for now as I forgot to get myself a Pikachu while in the forest and can't get back to it.

Current Team

Wartortle - lvl 24

Beedrill - lvl 15

Pidgey - lvl 11

Geodude - lvl 7

On The Pine

Zubat - lvl 9

Rattata - lvl 10

Paras - lvl 12

Spearow - lvl 10

Defeated Gary, Visited Bill, and defeated all the trainers along the way to level my team up some more before trying Misty. Damn that Water Pulse to hell, but I managed to survive and beat her with Mankey and Pidgeotto still alive, thanks to a Poison Sting from my Nidorino that poisoned the Starmie early on.

Couple of evolutions, but my team now consists of;

Pikachu - Lvl 18

Wartortle - Lvl 16

Geodude - Lvl 17

Pidgeotto - Lvl 18

Nidorino - Lvl 19

Mankey - Lvl 19

Looks like this is where I join in. After losing 12 hours to illness, this is where I stand:

Lv 6 Nidoran Male (Just caught, training)

Lv 9 Pikachu (In training)

Lv 12 Rattata

Lv 15 Spearow

Lv 15 Mankey

Lv 15 Bulbasaur

Reserve:

Lv 5 Jigglypuff

Lv 7 Nidoran Female

Lv 11 Beedrill

Lv 12 Butterfree

Lv 14 Pidgey

I spent A LOT of time grinding it out south of pewter to get all those to that level <_<