EWB Play-Along: Pokémon FireRed

probablyoliver

I started a game on LG a few days ago. just done 5th gym.

My Team

Butterfree lvl 44

Dugtrio lvl 43

Pikachu lvl 43 - Soon to be Raichu

Charizard lvl 42

Starmic lvl 42

Weepinbell lvl 40 - Soon to be victrebell once it's learned razer leaf

So my last status update was from last night before I started playing this morning, I put Geodude and Pidgey back in the team and caught a lvl 11 Abra (First try otherwise he would have gotten out of dodge) and a lvl 14 Oddish, Going to see how far I can get after Bill's house.

Current Team (In bold are changes since last update)

Wartortle - lvl 24

Beedrill - lvl 15

Pidgey - lvl 13

Geodude - lvl 15

Kadabra - lvl 16

Oddish - lvl 15

On The Pine

Zubat - lvl 9

Rattata - lvl 10

Paras - lvl 12

Spearow - lvl 10

My Current Team:

r9enfq.png

Forgot how much of a slag Misty is, her Starmie (?) (the second evolution one) made mince meat of Pikachu with Water Pulse, took two attempts to take it out. Just beaten the second gym and I've now arrived at Electric City, going to level up some before taking on the Sarge seeing how weak my Geodude is.

Went down to Vermillion City beat some of the trainers down there raised Kadabra to lvl 26, Got sick of trying to raising Pidgey, So I stuck him in daycare while I was doing this and he jumped up 4 levels to 18 when I got back, Also beat Misty and her underlings and beat everyone on the Ship, Including my rival once again, Tried to catch a lv3 Pikachu and wasted a TON of balls on it and it still wouldn't get in the damn ball, So I Psybeamed it to death and after that I beat the 3rd gym, Going to leave it there for awhile.

Also nabbed myself these three to add to my collection.

Meowth (lv16)

Drowzee (lv13)

Diglett (lv19)

Ekans (lv14)

and traded my Spearow (lv10) for a Farfetch'd (lv10) and another Abra (lvWho Cares) for a Mr. Mime (lv11)

Current Team

Kadabra (lv31)

Wartortle (lv26)

Geodude (lv22)

Pidgeotto (lv21) - Only needed 32exp to evolve after I got him out of daycare.

Beedrill (Lv17)

Ekans (lv14)

I just was reminded how much I hate the electric gym. Not because of the leader, oh no, but because of how fucking annoying it is to dig through those trash bins to find the switches, god forbid you pick the wrong bin for the 2nd switch. 20 minutes later and...

MY TEAM

pokemonfirered03.pngpokemonfirered02.png

Nidorino evolves to Nidoking with a Moon Stone if I'm remembering correctly? So I'm thinking about evolving him soon. Stuck him with Cut, as well. Defeated Surge, and just finished healing up my team.

In my PC, I've got

- Ekans (Lv 10)

- Spearow (Lv 6)

- Oddish (Lv 12)

- Meowth (Lv 10)

- Drowzee (Lv 13)

And I've got one question for you guys (besides confirming that Nidorino evolves with a moon stone). Who should I use my rare candy on, or should I save it?

EDIT: And props to Tkz for having a nearly identical team.

EDIT 2:

God damn you guys play this game a lot. I set this all up and I only just reached Mt. Moon. :@

post-2826-1249467948_thumb.jpg

Emulator + Speed Button = Win. I'd hate to be playing this on a GBA, it'd be way too slow. I've only played last night and tonight, probably for an hour a piece.

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

Started last night but only played for about 5 minutes, so my team is literally just Bulbasaur (Lv8), Ratatta (Lv3) and Pidgey (Lv3).

Annoyingly, I can't seem to super-speed the ROM with the GBA emulator like I can with the GB emulator...or at least, not in a way I've discovered yet. So it's a bit tedious to play as it stands... I can't remember which emulator it is at the moment, but I'll check when I get home and ask if anyone knows the speed button for it.

I could of course play Stokerina's actual copy of the game on her actual old GBA, and take it to play on the train and such...but it's pink. >_<

I'm going to get myself a 'Normal' type team! Not sure whether I might cheat slightly and keep Pidgey/etc. though, since they're Normal/Flying type.

Edited by stokeriño

You didn't answer during the 1 hour window when I asked! Silly Australian!

Besides, how awesome would this line-up be?

Raticate

Snorlax

Wigglytuff

Clefable

Tauros

Persian

(I presume I won't be able to get a couple of those on FireRed, but still.)

Edited by stokeriño

Started last night but only played for about 5 minutes, so my team is literally just Bulbasaur (Lv8), Ratatta (Lv3) and Pidgey (Lv3).

Annoyingly, I can't seem to super-speed the ROM with the GBA emulator like I can with the GB emulator...or at least, not in a way I've discovered yet. So it's a bit tedious to play as it stands... I can't remember which emulator it is at the moment, but I'll check when I get home and ask if anyone knows the speed button for it.

I could of course play Stokerina's actual copy of the game on her actual old GBA, and take it to play on the train and such...but it's pink. >_<

I'm going to get myself a 'Normal' type team! Not sure whether I might cheat slightly and keep Pidgey/etc. though, since they're Normal/Flying type.

VBA is what I've been using and it's pretty simple to just apply the Speed Function to a certain button. I've been playing this whole time using a PS2 controller with one of the shoulder buttons for speed.

God damn you guys play this game a lot. I set this all up and I only just reached Mt. Moon. :@

post-2826-1249467948_thumb.jpg

Emulator + Speed Button = Win. I'd hate to be playing this on a GBA, it'd be way too slow. I've only played last night and tonight, probably for an hour a piece.

That's exactly how I'm doing it. You guys just clearly play more than I do. >_>

Also, is there any way to trade on a emulator? I really, really want a Golem. :(

I used to have a GB emulator yeeaars ago that allowed me to 'dual load' two save games side-by-side and link them both for trading etc. Unfortunately I have NO idea which emulator it was (except I think it may have been DOS rather than Windows based), and I've not looked around GBA emulators enough to see if any of them have anything similar.

You didn't answer during the 1 hour window when I asked! Silly Australian!

Besides, how awesome would this line-up be?

Raticate

Snorlax

Wigglytuff

Clefable

Tauros

Persian

(I presume I won't be able to get a couple of those on FireRed, but still.)

You can get all of those on Fire Red. The question will be whether you have the patience to get your hands on a Tauros.

Also lol at everyone getting their asses handed to them by Misty's Starmie.

I put a Tauros in there because otherwise Raticate's the only one with a kickass attack stat.

The question will be how awfully I get ripped to shreds whilst trying to level up my Clefairy/Jigglypuff. :shifty:

Having used both Wigglytuff and Clefable in teams I can tell you that Clefairy will have the easier time. Just make sure you teach it at least on special attack, then it can use its superior attack stat.

And Raticate the only one with a kickass attack stat? You're planning on using Snorlax for fuck's sake, one of the best Normal types in the game.

I used to have a GB emulator yeeaars ago that allowed me to 'dual load' two save games side-by-side and link them both for trading etc. Unfortunately I have NO idea which emulator it was (except I think it may have been DOS rather than Windows based), and I've not looked around GBA emulators enough to see if any of them have anything similar.

There's a special version of VBA that lets you do that, just search around and you'll find it.

This is turning out to be a lot more fun than when I tried playing Ruby again the other day. Finally beat Misty today, made Gary my bitch twice and beat Lt. Surge. I've also evolved nearly all of my Pokemon, it's just Pikachu (although I just bought a Thunder Stone so I'll be evolving him shortly). Currently I'm Growlithe huntin' outside Celadon so I've got a Fire type to face the Grass leader (and because I fuckin' love Growlithe/Arcanine). My Pokemon are currently:

Wartortle (Lv. 28)

Pikachu (Lv. 25)

Primeape (Lv. 28)

Nidorino (Lv. 24)

Arbok (Lv. 22)

Pidgeotto (Lv. 22)

Nidorino is God if you picked Squirtle, mine still knows peck so it fucks up Gary's Bulbasaur real nice. It was an absolute beast getting that Primeape, though, Mankey's defence was so low that it was getting one hit KO'd by everything.