EWB Play-Along: Pokémon FireRed

probablyoliver

Are you going to catch thirty Tauros' too? :shifty: Also, wow, for somebody living by the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" philosophy, Ash really did have fuck all going for him.

Haha I don't think I've ever caught a Tauros in the Safari Zone - I may not emulate that particular feat. :P I think the first thing I ever called a cunt was a Kangaskhan.

Just whipped the shit out of Gary for the second time, using only a level 8 Pikachu to dispose of his Pidgey and Squirtle - both at level 9. I never understood why he degrades you for heading the way of the Pokemon League without any badges when he's doing the exact same thing as you? Weirdo.

Current Team:

Pikachu (Level 9)

Charmander (Level 12)

Thinking ahead of time, I'm going to need something to fight Brock once I make my way through Viridian Forest. Do I pick up a Mankey while I'm already west of Viridian, or pick up a Caterpie (to evolve into Butterfree) while making my way up to Pewter City? I'm leaning towards Mankey, because Primeape is a badass!

Finally managed to off Misty on my third attempt.

Current Team

Pikachu (Level 22)

Charmander (Level 18)

Mankey (Level 19)

Also, if you're supposed to be the 'good guy,' then why do you keep the Dig TM after you defeat the Team Rocket member that stole it? I wish there were an option to join up with Rocket after Nugget Bridge.

I've also just beaten Misty, as well as collecting the SS Anne ticket from Bill. Current team:

Jigglypuff Lv 20

Bulbasaur Lv 20

Ratatta Lv 20

Pidgey Lv 20

Pikachu Lv 20

Mankey Lv 18

I like to keep things even if I can. :shifty:

I didn't remember that I should have searched for a Clefairy before I came out the other side of Mt. Moon, and now of course I can't get back in from this side. :( I'll have to wait until I get CUT and can get back in the other side via the Diglett tunnel...

I'm going for the full 150 pokedex, which is kind of annoying on an emulator, but I found a way to trade with Visual Boy Advance so I'm going for it. I'm starting with Leaf Green, then I'm going to trade some strong pokemon over to Fire Red so I can get the Red exclusive pokemon quickly. I'm getting way ahead of myself though, I'm about to do Mt. Moon, and I have 19 pokemon. My current team is:

Lv. 11 Bulbasaur

Lv. 11 Pidgey

Lv. 11 Mankey

Lv. 8 Metapod

Lv. 8 Nidoran F

Lv. 8 Geodude

Also, I ran into the same problem as Nerf and Stoker regarding saving, but I found a fix. I'm going to look and see if I can remember how I solved that right now.

Edit: Back up your save state, then go to Options>Emulator>Save Type. Make sure Automatic and Flash 128K are checkmarked. Start a new game, and try to save. If it works, load the save game you've been using, and try to save that. Make sure you back up your VBA save, in case it doesn't work.

Edited by pizzamonkey

I just tried that pizzamonkey, and there was no change. Though I did skip over the 'backup save state' part, because I didn't understand it :shifty:

Also, I just kicked the fuck out of the Vermilion City gym using just a level 9 Geodude and only one trip to the Pokemon Center before facing off with Lt Surge. Oh yuss (H) By the time I got finished with him, my party looked as follows...

Current Team

Geodude (Level 18)

Charmander (Level 26)

Pikachu (Level 26)

Mankey (Level 26)

I'm going for the full 150 pokedex, which is kind of annoying on an emulator, but I found a way to trade with Visual Boy Advance so I'm going for it. I'm starting with Leaf Green, then I'm going to trade some strong pokemon over to Fire Red so I can get the Red exclusive pokemon quickly. I'm getting way ahead of myself though, I'm about to do Mt. Moon, and I have 19 pokemon. My current team is:

Lv. 11 Bulbasaur

Lv. 11 Pidgey

Lv. 11 Mankey

Lv. 8 Metapod

Lv. 8 Nidoran F

Lv. 8 Geodude

Also, I ran into the same problem as Nerf and Stoker regarding saving, but I found a fix. I'm going to look and see if I can remember how I solved that right now.

Edit: Back up your save state, then go to Options>Emulator>Save Type. Make sure Automatic and Flash 128K are checkmarked. Start a new game, and try to save. If it works, load the save game you've been using, and try to save that. Make sure you back up your VBA save, in case it doesn't work.

It's just the Fire Red rom it doesn't work for, Leaf Green can save.

I just tried that pizzamonkey, and there was no change. Though I did skip over the 'backup save state' part, because I didn't understand it :shifty:

Hmm, try going to the folder where your Pokemon rom is. Delete the .sav file, and make a copy of the .sgm file somewhere else. Then try starting a new game and saving.

Tkz, I was having the problem with both roms, and this fixed them both. If it's giving a message about the save file being corrupted when they're trying to save, I think this should work. When you start a new game, do you get a message about a 1M subcircuit board not being installed?

Finally managed to off Misty on my third attempt.

Current Team

Pikachu (Level 22)

Charmander (Level 18)

Mankey (Level 19)

Also, if you're supposed to be the 'good guy,' then why do you keep the Dig TM after you defeat the Team Rocket member that stole it? I wish there were an option to join up with Rocket after Nugget Bridge.

Water pulse was the biggest bitch to deal with.

Hmm, try going to the folder where your Pokemon rom is. Delete the .sav file, and make a copy of the .sgm file somewhere else. Then try starting a new game and saving.

Tkz, I was having the problem with both roms, and this fixed them both. If it's giving a message about the save file being corrupted when they're trying to save, I think this should work. When you start a new game, do you get a message about a 1M subcircuit board not being installed?

I'm getting the 1M subcircuit problem, Trying your fix now.

Worked the first time with a new game, But after trying on my saved game, It brought the sub circuit board problems back.

Edited by Slogger

It worked when I restarted the game, but I'm fairly certain there's no way to In Game Save once you've already made a Save State.

Back up your save state, then go to Options>Emulator>Save Type. Make sure Automatic and Flash 128K are checkmarked.

Do this first. Then do the thing with the .sav and .sgm files. Just want to make sure that's clear.

Tkz, you may be right, but I think if you save a new game properly once the fix is applied, then load the save state of your game in progress, you could save that and continue. That's the best idea I have.

Edited by pizzamonkey