EWB Play-Along: Pokémon FireRed

probablyoliver

Been a bit since my last update (blame the new CoD map pack), but here's a quick rundown of whats happening in my game.

Tore through Fuschia and nabbed up the gym badge there before taking a trip into the Safari Zone. Caught what felt like an assload of pokemon, seen a Kangaskhan, a Scyther, and a Tauros but managed to not catch any of those three. I'll be going back for them sometime :shifty:

Evolved Eevee into Jolteon, and Pikachu into Raichu. Caught the other Snorlax, and renamed him Snorlynx so I don't get him confused. One will be the sleep/snore Snorelax, the other I'm thinking about giving straight attacks and seeing how he does.

As it stands now, I've set all the pokemon I've got up into different boxes in different 6-man teams, team 1 being my main team.

pokemonfirered01i.png

Team 1

pokemonfirered02.png

(rest of teams in spoilers due to length)

pokemonfirered03.png

Team 2

Dratini - Lvl 17

Exeggcute - Lvl 25

Rhyhorn - Lvl 26

Doduo - Lvl 24

Growlithe - Lvl 23

Cubone - Lv 17

pokemonfirered04t.png

Team 3

Snorelynx - Lvl 30

Pidgeotto - Lvl 32

Jolteon - Lvl 25

Venomoth - Lvl 32

Nidoqueen - Lvl 30

Seaking - Lvl 26

pokemonfirered05.png

Team 4

Gastly - Lvl 15

Farfetch'd - Lvl 32

Raticate - Lvl 25

Parasect - Lvl 30

Onix - Lv 13

Abra - Lv 9

pokemonfirered06.png

Team 5

Fearow - Lvl 29

Drowzee - Lvl 13

Machop - Lv 16

Diglett - Lvl 19

Nidorino - Lvl 30

Clefairy - Lvl 8

pokemonfirered07.png

Team 6

Horsea - Lvl 21

Venonat - Lvl 22

Ekans - Lvl 10

Meowth - Lvl 10

Voltorb - Lvl 16

Oddish - Lvl 12

pokemonfirered08.png

Team 7 (unfinished, leftovers :shifty:)

Nidoran (F) - Lvl 24

Paras - Lvl 22

Goldeen - Lvl 23

Magikarp - Lvl 5

Anyone have any ideas who I should put with who, or teach what, or catch whatever? Right now I'm just planning to go for all the badges, and try to train all the different teams up and evolve all that need to be, which is obviously quite a big mission but might be worth the time waste.

Looking at your main team, I think evolving Evee into Jolteon was a mistake. You don't have anyone in your team that is super effective against Grass, whcih is your Rival's main Pokemon. The evolutions of Evee are beasts with lot of HP and Flareon would've been a great addition to your main team. I know you've got a Growlithe, but Flareon is awesome.

Looking at your main team, I think evolving Evee into Jolteon was a mistake. You don't have anyone in your team that is super effective against Grass, whcih is your Rival's main Pokemon. The evolutions of Evee are beasts with lot of HP and Flareon would've been a great addition to your main team. I know you've got a Growlithe, but Flareon is awesome.

Honestly, Flareon was my second choice and the only thing stopping me from choosing it was how feminine it looks. :shifty:

I'll need to find someone (or get my Arcanine) to fill the spot Flareon could of filled.

Once I evolved Bulbasaur Misty was easy. I'm in Vermillion now, my team is:

Lv. 14 Zubat

Lv. 17 Mankey

Lv. 17 Spearow

Lv. 17 Paras

Lv. 18 Ivysaur

Lv. 18 Geodude

I'm at 30 Pokemon, and I'm going to catch a Drowzee before I take on the SS. Anne. I'm also trying to figure out how I'm going to get all three evolutions of Eevee for my Pokedex without playing a third game. I didn't think of that when I started my game. I might have to cheat a little on that one.

Finally caught Vulpix to add to my team, now just missing Seel/Dewgong.

Just about to clear the route before heading underground to beat Erika:

Lv 16 Vulpix

Lv 30 Mr. Mime

Lv 30 Ivysaur

Lv 30 Primeape

Lv 31 Nidoking

Lv 15 Farfetch'd

• Like 1

Finally get anywhere with my game after a save error that deleted the whole thing. So I switched to the no$gba emulator and it solved the problem well nice and I started over again. Still picked Charmander and redid most of my previous team, although I let out Pidgey and went for Rattata instead just for the hell of it. Oh, and thanks to Plubby for the Mankey advice, I kicked Brock's ass well and good.

My current team is:

Beedrill (Lvl 11)

Mankey (Lvl 13) - He rose pretty heavy with the battles in Pewter City gym.

Rattata (Lvl 12)

Charmander (lvl 12)

So, I started a new game on Leaf Green on the side. I've decided to use this as my first attempt ever at completing th PokeDex. This copy of Leaf Green is able to save the normal way, and I've found a version of Visual Boy Advance that allows you to open two up side-by-side and trade. After trading the three starters over to myself, I've built up a team of ten so far. I'm now looking to put together a group to take on Brock.

Current Team

Squirtle (Level 7)

Bulbasaur (Level 7)

Mankey (Level 3)

Caterpie (Level 5)

In Storage

Rattata (Level 3)

Charmander (Level 7)

Pikachu (Level 5)

Pidgey (Level 4)

Spearow (Level 5)

Weedle (Level 4)

Interesting note - when I stepped into Viridian Forest, the first THREE wild PokeMon that appeared were all Pikachu. I usually spend hours looking for that little cunt, and now he's taking the piss.

So, I started a new game on Leaf Green on the side. I've decided to use this as my first attempt ever at completing th PokeDex. This copy of Leaf Green is able to save the normal way, and I've found a version of Visual Boy Advance that allows you to open two up side-by-side and trade. After trading the three starters over to myself, I've built up a team of ten so far. I'm now looking to put together a group to take on Brock.

Current Team

Squirtle (Level 7)

Bulbasaur (Level 7)

Mankey (Level 3)

Caterpie (Level 5)

In Storage

Rattata (Level 3)

Charmander (Level 7)

Pikachu (Level 5)

Pidgey (Level 4)

Spearow (Level 5)

Weedle (Level 4)

Interesting note - when I stepped into Viridian Forest, the first THREE wild PokeMon that appeared were all Pikachu. I usually spend hours looking for that little cunt, and now he's taking the piss.

More updating!

I made a dumb decision for Charmander, especially since Leaf Green gives her a hard fucking move that destroys half the team. Using some wonderful paralyzing, I FINALLY beat hear after half my team crossed the level 20 plateau. Coincedentally, Lt. Surge was fucking easy. 3 badges, 18 Pokemon captured, and now the current team!

L. 19 Pidgey (basically, the Pokemon only on the team because he does some move. In this case, it's Fly)

L. 24 Raichu

L. 27 Butterfree

L. 27 Charmelon

L. 28 Nidoqueen

L. 29 Graveler (this man is a bad MFer because Magnitude always seems to be in the 5-10 range and does a lot of damage, including to other Rock types)

Also, any and all lines where adults go "Hey, wanna see my Pokemon?" or god, COSPLAY being mentioned in the game is wonderfully comedic on so many levels.

Edited by ROC
  • Like 1

So I beat the Elite 4 in my 1st go, despite all my Pokemon being relatively low levels, compared to theirs. I did the Island 1-3 quest first to get more experience and nab myself a Moltres. I've only caught 32 Pokemon thus far and have very little desire to go and catch 28 more to continue on to Island 4, but I may eventually.

My Elite 4 beating team

Venusaur lv 51

Vaporeon lv 51

Pidgeot lv 51

Raichu lv 51

Moltres lv 51

Snorlax lv 30

Snorlax was basically there to hold the fort while I revived/helaed other Pokemon, he did that excellently and put many a E4 bitch to sleep!

So can someone PM me how to get the Emulators where you can trade between 2 games, as I've done this game on my DS and have never tried n emulator before.

• Like 1

Update!

I'm just about to board the S.S. Anne, and do some leveling up before I take on Lt. Surge. He shouldn't be too hard, of course, as I've got three ground types in my team ready to take him on.

Current Team

Geodude (Level 19)

Diglett (Level 19)

Pikachu (Level 23)

Ivysaur (Level 25)

Sandshrew (Level 18)

In Storage

Rattata (Level 3)

Wigglytuff (Level 5)

Clefable (Level 8)

Meowth (Level 12)

Charmander (Level 7)

Squirtle (Level 10)

Bellsprout (Level 14)

Mankey (Level 11)

Nidoran (Level 6)

Zubat (Level 9)

Pidgey (Level 4)

Farfetch'd (Level 5)

Spearow (Level 17)

Drowzee (Level 11)

Abra (Level 10)

Kakuna (Level 7)

Butterfree (Level 15)

Paras (Level 9)

I finished the S.S. Anne, Gary was really hard. My team didn't match up well against him, and though I beat him, I had just Ivysaur left, with 6 HP to go. Hopefully my Zubat and Paras evolve soon, so I can get them out and balance my team better.

Lv. 19 Zubat

Lv. 20 Paras

Lv. 19 Mankey

Lv. 19 Spearow

Lv. 19 Ivysaur

Lv. 20 Geodude

As for storage, since Nerf did it.

Lv. 11 Charmander

Lv. 11 Squirtle

Lv. 16 Nidoqueen

Lv. 6 Nidoran M

Lv. 10 Beedrill

Lv. 10 Butterfree

Lv. 5 Jigglypuff

Lv. 14 Meowth

Lv. 13 Farfetch'd

Lv. 8 Rattata

Lv. 10 Clefairy

Lv. 12 Sandshrew

Lv. 14 Pidgey

Lv. 14 Bellsprout

Lv. 16 Kadabra

Lv. 13 Drowzee

Surge is next.

Just got into Mt. Moon, thought of catching of Geodude but I don't know. I'd rather want something different. Paras maybe? Is Zubat any good? Anyways my current team is as follows;

Charmander (Lvl 15)

Rattata (Lvl 15)

Beedrill (Lvl 15)

Mankey (Lvl 15)

Yeah, I like to keep my team even. <_<

So, I got a bit behind with this, but I'm just about to go on the S.S Anne. Squad is level 20 and is:

- Pikachu

- Charmeleon

- Mankey

- Fearow

Got Jigglypuff, Clefairy, Ekans and Paras in reserve on the PC, but I'm not really sure what to use now. I clearly need a Water-type at some point. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on the extra space? Maybe a Psychic, but I think Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam is really your choice in FR/LG isn't it?