Sign in to follow this  
therockbox

The England thread

therockbox    3,049

Squad's just been announced for tonight's friendly against Holland:

1850: England team to face Holland
Robert Green; Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole; David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Ashley Young; Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

From the BBC.

IAceI    333

Stole 9 to 5's E/W bet on Terry to score, we only score from set pieces it seems so you'd expect someone like that to get on one. Probably end up being Ferdinand mine.

Probably actually end up being a bore draw 0-0 with nothing of interest. Hopefully no injuries ahead of the Premiership though.

Adam es Tranquilo    6,967

Well that was embarrassing! Of course it comes from a player who won't get dropped no matter what he does, piss-poor attempt at passing the football really.

Scott McFly    189

Goddamn it, was going to bet Kuyt as well but decided on Terry E/W instead! I usually do bet him when he's playing (Liverpool or Holland), but didn't want to put 2 first goalscorers on opposite teams. Oh well, Terry can still score and get me a few quid anyway.

I won't be able to see the rest of the game, but just remember as bad as it may or may not get for England, this is just a friendly and they can't possibly fuck up as badly as Scotland. :P

Dan    2,696

Squad's just been announced for tonight's friendly against Holland:

1850: England team to face Holland

Robert Green; Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, Ashley Cole; David Beckham, Frank Lampard, Gareth Barry, Ashley Young; Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

From the BBC.

Haha, that's the same team that's playing tonight, who would of though they where all playing 150 years ago :shifty:

On to the game, not the worst England performance I've ever seen, but we've giften them the lead with 2 sloppy mistakes and made a couple more which could have been punished.

Shocking. England were pretty much the better time for most of that half, but then half the team decided they didn't give a shit and wanted to piss about. Beckham has been by far the best England player on the pitch, but I've got no doubt he'll be subbed off in the second half, rather than actually being given a full game for once. Heskey and Young have both been piss poor, hopefully we see Defoe straight away for Heskey in the second half.

Dan    2,696

I honestly don't think Heskey has been that bad, the problem is when we're not lumping it way ahead of him, we're trying to play him through balls against pacy defenders which he's never going to win.

When the ball's played onto Heskey's head he's brought it down for Rooney and he's held the ball up extremely well. He's made some really nice building up play with Beckham/Rooney aswell.

Edited by Version Dan

Megalol at Andy Townsend describing Spain as "those little guys." Yeah, those tiny, squeaky-voiced, implausibly fast, sombrero-clad guys. Andelay, andelay!

Oh, and Rio Ferdinand is shit and that.

therockbox    3,049

Good.

Won't be a starter at the World Cup and we know exactly what he's capable of. I know you're president of his fanclub and everything but try and look at the bigger picture.

Good.

Won't be a starter at the World Cup and we know exactly what he's capable of. I know you're president of his fanclub and everything but try and look at the bigger picture.

We know what almost every player in the entire squad is capable of. If Beckham is playing as good as any player in the squad, then he deserves to be playing, it's that simple. And hopefully he continues to prove people wrong and actually makes the World Cup next year, because if he continues the way he's going, he'll certainly deserve to be there just as much as any of the other players in the position he plays in.

Brilliant goal from Defoe.

Dan    2,696

Wright-Phillips isn't good enough for England.

Brief flashes of quality aren't enough to compensate for 95% of the time doing fuck all.

Shitty game by Holland, decent game for England except for the shocking lapses of concentration at the start. Carlton Cole, Milner and Defoe were energetic and really revived England.

therockbox    3,049
England coach Fabio Capello has recalled Spurs pair Peter Crouch and Aaron Lennon for the Slovenia friendly and World Cup qualifier versus Croatia.

The duo were omitted from the squad that recently drew with Holland, but return after some fine club displays.

United goalkeeper Ben Foster and defender Wes Brown are also recalled, while Liverpool midfielder Steven Gerrard returns after injury.

But there is no place in the squad for Manchester United striker Michael Owen.

The former Liverpool, Real Madrid and Newcastle striker, who last played for England in March 2008, has started just once for United this season.

Foster returns in place of Portsmouth's David James, who has bone bruising, while United defender Rio Ferdinand is also not yet fit enough to return as he recovers from a thigh injury.

Arsenal winger Theo Walcott is also unavailable again as he has not played yet this season because of a back injury, meaning Lennon, Shaun Wright-Phillips, James Milner, David Beckham and Ashley Young provide the wing options.

England play Slovenia at Wembley at 1730 BST on Saturday, 5 September ahead of the key qualifier against Croatia at the same venue at 2000 BST on Wednesday, 9 September.

Victory for Capello's men in the latter will confirm their presence at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

England squad for 5 September friendly against Slovenia and the 9 September World Cup qualifier against Croatia:

Goalkeepers: Foster (Manchester United), Green (West Ham), Robinson (Blackburn)

Defenders: Johnson (Liverpool), Brown (Manchester United), Upson (West Ham), Terry (Chelsea, capt), Lescott (Manchester City), A Cole (Chelsea), Bridge (Chelsea)

Midfielders: Wright-Phillips (Manchester City), Lennon (Tottenham), Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Barry (Manchester City), Lampard (Chelsea), Carrick (Manchester United), Gerrard (Liverpool), A Young (Aston Villa), Milner (Aston Villa)

Strikers: Rooney (Manchester United), Heskey (Aston Villa), Defoe (Tottenham), C Cole (West Ham), Crouch (Tottenham).

Sauce: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8229098.stm

IAceI    333

Hmm, think we have enough in that to see off both teams.

Green

Johnson Terry Lescott Cole

Lennon Lampard Gerrard Young

Rooney Crouch

possibly. I'd like Defoe to start but expect the little-and-large combination up front with Defoe coming on late against tired legs.

Not a fan of the goalkeeper options but Green is the best of them (then again I think I'm the fifth best England keeper so hopefully not too many injuries).

Dan    2,696

Green

Rooney Crouch

possibly. I'd like Defoe to start but expect the little-and-large combination up front with Defoe coming on late against tired legs.

Not a fan of the goalkeeper options but Green is the best of them (then again I think I'm the fifth best England keeper so hopefully not too many injuries).

Can't see Crouch starting with Rooney, Either Cole or Defo.

Edit: Against Croatia that is, Heskey starts today.

& Lol @ Scotland, they're going to win the World Cup after beating those giants of World Football at home..Macedonia.

And yes, I'm fully aware we once drew/lost to Macedonia, but Scotland to me are like Newcastle, massive, loud support but one small win means they're the best team in the world, only for it to all go down the pan a week later.

Edited by Version Dan
  • Like 1

Scott McFly    189

& Lol @ Scotland, they're going to win the World Cup after beating those giants of World Football at home..Macedonia.

And yes, I'm fully aware we once drew/lost to Macedonia, but Scotland to me are like Newcastle, massive, loud support but one small win means they're the best team in the world, only for it to all go down the pan a week later.

I think all Scots are pretty aware we're not gonna win the World Cup. :rolleyes: We'll be lucky if we get there at all.

Unlike England who actually do think they're gonna win it every time around, only for them to cock it up right on cue every 4 years.

metalman    15,096

I think all Scots are pretty aware we're not gonna win the World Cup. :rolleyes: We'll be lucky if we get there at all.

Unlike England who actually do think they're gonna win it every time around, only for them to cock it up right on cue every 4 years.

Yeah...I haven't come across anyone that thinks we're going to qualify for the World Cup. Never mind win it. :rolleyes:

King Boo Ellis    12,892

It was most definitely a penalty. Everyone knows Rooney and the England team as a whole don't dive.

FUCK YOU MACEDONIA! WE'RE GONNA WIN THE WORLD CUP AND YOU'RE NOT!!

...what? :shifty:

• Like 1

TheArsenal    1

Green

Rooney Crouch

Can't see Crouch starting with Rooney, Either Cole or Defo.

That sounds a lot more like England to me.

• Like 1

Crybaby Bunting    1,466

The World Cup to England fans

Q. Did we get to the knock out stage?

• If YES then we have already won the world cup.
  • If NO then we sack the manager and say how he's ruined our best generation of players yet.

• Like 1