The England thread

Unless Hart is injured during a major tournament. I'd rather have the best option ready to go instead of one we gave games too just incase he might be able to be good one day.

Giving them both some time is the obvious idea, but Butland is completely in the Carson/Foster category so far.

So what would everyone like the starting line-up to be?

I'd go for Ruddy; Walker, Jagielka, Cahill, Bertrand; Walcott (maybe Milner), Lampard, Cleverley, Johnson; Young, Carroll.

I'm assuming Hodgson will go 4-4-2 and Lampard will start as captain. Butland, Caulker, Carrick, Livermore, Rodwell and Defoe to come on as subs.

I'd just like Butland to start, nobody else. Gives him some great experience for the future.

But really, assuming a 4-2-3-1, I'd want Butland; Walker, Caulker, Cahill, Bertrand; Rodwell, Cleverley; Walcott, Lampard, Johnson; Carrol.

Back to the Butland debate though, Ruddy is hardly not going to be match fit since he will be playing a full season next year with his club, so I don't really follow that point. I get that he IS our number #2 should Hart be injured because he's better than Butland, but this fear to give youth players big game experience really bothers me. I'd rather lose and give all the young guys a game that doesn't REALLY matter than probably still lose but give Ruddy some experience he doesn't necessarily need. A lot of Germany's younger guys might not have made it, but I think you should try and stick with them until the day comes when maybe they aren't suited for that level of the game.

Obviously in an actual tournament you want a blend of young and older heads, but I want the likes of Butland, Caulker, Walker, Rodwell, Cleverly and whoever we settle on for the wings (I'd include Oxlade, but he's pulled out) all getting match time together to build chemistry and understanding between the players. Sure Ruddy might be better, but he isn't anything like a long-term option for us.

How many times have you seen Butland play? He's played 20 odd games for Cheltenham, and a handful of games at various levels for England. Not every promising 19 year old needs to be shoved into the England side just because the media decide he's the next big thing. Butland hasn't even really been challenged at a high level yet and people are fapping.

The youth thing is misguided too. Ruddy is, what, 25? Not even in a keepers prime, same age as Joe Hart I think. Is Joe Hart not a long term option for us?

It's ridiculous to call it a fear to play youth because I'd rather see Ruddy play than Butland. Age has nothing to do with my opinion, only yours it seems.

• Like 2

I am all for the youth playing because it's time to bed in the players that will be in top form when it's time for the World Cup but as said above Ruddy is 25 and had a great season with Norwich, 25 is young for a keeper and England is blessed to have Joe Hart but Ruddy should be given the chance to be his deputy as things stand he'll be at his prime when the World Cup rolls around...Butland seems talented and I am sure he'll get his chances to shine along the way as well but for now it's Hart and Ruddy.

• Like 1

John Ruddy would be playing the full 90 minutes if I were in charge, I don't think Jack Butland is ready to play for the England national side. Has he ever played a match above League 2 level?

You want him to get 'big game' experience, well he got a fair amount of that at the Olympics. He's 19-years-old, he's not some god-given gift of a player or doesn't seem that way yet at least.

It'll be interesting to see what Roy actually wants to do with the side in this game.

• Like 1

I must admit I didn't see all of GB's games at Olympics, but I found Butland pretty mediocre to poor at times (didn't he fuck up the first game?). He also has never played in the Premier League. I really don't think he's some amazing talent, the fact he's in the England squad just shows how shit England's goalies are. Ruddy should definitely be given a chance, deserves it after last season.

Daniele De Rossi has more than double the number of caps (75) than Italy's other 10 starters put together tonight.

Two very experimental sides tonight it seems, so while I don't really care about this friendly or agree with it's timing, I'm looking forward to seeing how these two sides play. Playing at the Wankdorf Stadium as well.