The England thread

They probably have a case actually, the laws of the game typically cover most incidents like this (this basically stops people making citizens arrests if they think that someone has 'assaulted' someone on the pitch) but it gets a little complicated after the final whistle because the game is technically finished. I think local law might decide when a game is 'finished', some places regard finished as the final whistle, some places when the players have gone down the tunnel, some places when the players have left the arena.

If they think they have a case then they could probably nail them for causing a disturbance in a public place... but it makes no sense why they wouldn't press charges on the night. There must have been plenty of independent police officers involved at the ground and the whole thing was televised, it's not like they're just discovering what happened a month later :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin
The England squad to face Sweden in next week's friendly is announced.

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster (Celtic), Joe Hart (Manchester City), John Ruddy (Norwich City).

Defenders: Leighton Baines (Everton), Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Steven Caulker (Tottenham Hotspur), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Ryan Shawcross (Stoke City), Kyle Walker(Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Tom Cleverley (Manchester United), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Aaron Lennon (Tottenham Hotspur), Leon Osman (Everton), Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United).

Forwards: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United).

Arsenal's Jack Wilshere returns to the England squad for next week's friendly with Sweden in Stockholm. The midfielder has not played for his country since making his fifth appearance against Switzerland in June 2011. Everton's Leon Osman is called up for the first time while Liverpool's Steven Gerrard is in line to win his 100th cap. Roy Hodgson has also included Liverpool duo Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling along with Celtic goalkeeper Fraser Forster fresh from his heroics against Barcelona.

• Admin
England Under-21 manager Stuart Pearce gives first call-ups to Manchester United goalkeeper Sam Johnstone, Chelsea defender Nathaniel Chalobah, Leicester defender Liam Moore, Derby midfielder Will Hughes and Bolton's on-loan Arsenal striker Benik Afobe for Tuesday's friendly with Northern Ireland.

So happy for Osman, underrated and overlooked for many years. One thing you can always guarantee with that lad is he'll always give everything he has in every game.

I think Forster more than deserves his first cap too, could defo see him getting a half.

• Admin
Roy Hodgson has revealed that he plans to add Arsenal defender Carl Jenkinson to his England squad for next week's match with Sweden.

The England Manager is waiting for FIFA clearance to arrive before naming the 20-year-old in his group for the trip to Stockholm, due to the former Charlton Athletic player's appearances for Finland at Under-21 level.

But Hodgson explained to FATV that the player himself has expressed his commitment to England, after training with the squad last month and will be added to the squad in due course.

He said: "The reason I didn't include Carl from the start is because we haven't, at this moment in time, got clearance from FIFA but we do believe that they are going to grant that clearance within a day or two.

“So by next Wednesday, he will be clear to play. He wants to play for England and has made that clear so we applied for permission to FIFA, as one is allowed to do, immediately after he left us and before we set off for Poland.

"That was a month ago, but I didn't want to put his name down in a squad until such time as I've got FIFA clearance saying he's available to play for us in my hand.

"If the clearance comes through, we will put him in the squad. He was with us for training just before we left for Poland and I made it clear to him then that if he did want to play for England, I would include him in this squad and I intend to keep that promise."

Roy Hodgson's England squad has seen changes following a weekend of Premier League football.

Five players have withdrawn from the squad, with Wayne Rooney, Theo Walcott, Jonjo Shelvey, Kyle Walker and Aaron Lennon all unable to play against Sweden on Wednesday evening.

In Rooney’s absence, the England Manager looked to include Jermain Defoe but the Tottenham Hotspur striker is injured. Hodgson also wanted to include Arsenal’s Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain but he is not match-fit and so unable to report.

Carl Jenkinson, Wilfried Zaha and Tom Huddlestone have been added to the senior squad.

Hodgson was awaiting formal confirmation from FIFA that Jenkinson was registered to represent England before naming him in his squad on Thursday. It is expected that the paperwork will be completed and sent through to The FA on Monday, meaning Jenkinson will be available for the match with Sweden on Wednesday night.

Jenkinson had previously represented Finland at U19 level, hence the requirement to declare his nationality with the world governing body before he could play for England. The Arsenal defender's addition makes it a squad of 24 players for Hodgson to choose from.