The England thread

That's it, five years ago we were bemoaning it, now they're clearly the best of the bunch when the alternative involves Cleverly.

Poor defending for the third goal but a lovely ball in by Lambert. I'm not particularly crying about Welbecks suspension either.

On replay, ludicrous booking. I hope G Nev shouts at the ref all half time.

Lambert has to start on tuesday. Great poacher's goal and a wonderful assist, looking very, very good. Welbeck's booking was extremely harsh, too. Lampard/Gerrard definitely works when there's another midfielder to complete the both of them. They just never worked in 4-4-2. If their prime had they been supplemented with any of Parker/Carrick/Scholes/Hargreaves we could've had a wonderful central three.

What is the point in calling Townsend up to the squad if we're willing to put Milner on before we are Townsend. I'm sorry, but Milner shouldn't be in touching distance of the England squad. He was once a wonderful central midfielder, but I don't want 'workrate' from my wingers, I want flair, the ability to take people on and the ability to create and score. We were better off giving Walcott 20 mins up front and giving Townsend a cap instead of putting Milner on the left hand side.

Otherwise, a really encouraging performance. We look good without Rooney and the formation worked for us. Barkley looked good, too.

Well, that's a little narrow-minded. I agree we're fine to be playing both right now, but we should be building for the future, which we are doing in other areas of the pitch. The inclusion of Wilshere, who is the future, compliments both Lampard and Gerrard. There's no reason why we can't be playing Lampard & Gerrard and build for the future.

One thing annoys me about international football is people banging on about how we should be "looking to the future."

How about we just pick the best players right now? Like, I dunno, Lampard and Gerrard.

What do you do in August 2014 when they're still our best players but by Euro 2016 and World Cup 2018 their hips will have crumbled to dust?