Sign in to follow this  
therockbox

The England thread

Ah fuck.

England's greatest keeper, I'd say, and I don't think that's a controversial opinion at all.

"What a save, Gordon Banks!" is one of English football's greatest commentary soundbites, and it's been immortalised by the Lightning Seeds too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

England's greatest keeper, I'd say, and I don't think that's a controversial opinion at all. 

If you try and pick an all time England XI I think keeper is the only position that is easy to pick. Shilton and Seaman come close though.

Seaman wasn't even the best English goalie at the time. He'd have had far fewer caps if Nigel Martyn had played for Arsenal or scum.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Seaman wasn't even the best English goalie at the time. He'd have had far fewer caps if Nigel Martyn had played for Arsenal or scum.

Should never have shaved off his moustache

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Pfffft. Rubbish.

Seems to me like you're quibbling over Seamantics.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Declan Rice has finally declared internationally for England.

• Like 1

I enjoy how Kevin Kilbane took to Twitter to be annoyed by someone switching their allegiances to a different country.

Kevin, of course, being from that famous Irish town of Preston.

Declan Rice was born in England and his mother is English iirc.

It was silly he was playing for Ireland in the first place.

This is good for England though, goodbye Eric Dier.

13 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

ever looked at the birthplaces of a considerable amount of Irish international players? :P

There is a long history of Ireland calling up players who were born outside of Ireland but have Irish heritage. For a time Ireland's record goalscorer was Tony Cascarino, who could've played for England, Scotland or Italy - but not Ireland as it turned out :shifty:

Even in the most recent squad there were 11 players who were born in England.

This is the first time, that I recall, a player switching allegiances back though. The only other example I can remember was when Alex Bruce switched to Northern Ireland but nobody cared about that.

I think we all know there's no greater allegiance switch than Shola Ameobi for the 2014 World Cup.

On 13/02/2019 at 18:28, Liam Mk2 said:

Going by this logic should Raheem Sterling be turning out for Jamaica?

It’s more of the fact that Rice was born and lived in England pretty much forever. 

The playing for your country through a grandparent’s nationality has always seemed odd to me, and honestly it’s usually players that aren’t good enough for their country of origin. IE, Andy Townsend :shifty:

England vs. Japan in the final of the SheBelieves Cup is kicking off now on BBC Four.

Woo!

Declan Rice is in line for his first England call-up on Wednesday for the Euro 2020 qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Montenegro – a day after he was named as the Republic of Ireland’s young player of the year.

Gareth Southgate will announce his squad at St George’s Park and Rice is set to be included after the West Ham midfielder switched his international allegiance from Ireland.

Rice was on Tuesday named as Ireland’s young player of the year, despite having chosen not to play for the country again. The award was voted for by the Soccer Writers’ Association of Ireland. “At the time of the vote, Declan Rice was an Ireland international and qualified for the young player category in a year that saw him win three senior caps,” the Football Association of Ireland said.

The Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton is set to be recalled by Southgate after missing the World Cup because of injury and starting the season behind Joe Hart at Turf Moor.

The in-form Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse is under serious consideration, two years after winning his only cap, and Southgate is weighing up selection issues surrounding several of England’s Under-21 players.

Crystal Palace’s Aaron Wan-Bissaka and the Southampton goalkeeper Angus Gunn are highly rated by the England manager, but preparations for the Under-21 European Championship this summer may well take precedence if injuries do not bite the senior side.

Among other players to have been monitored is the uncapped Wolves captain Conor Coady. England play at home against the Czech Republic a week on Friday and in Montenegro three days later.

Declan Rice, Irish young player of the year

Keepers

Jack Butland (Stoke City), Tom Heaton (Burnley), Jordan Pickford (Everton)

Defenders

Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Michael Keane (Everton), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders

Ross Barkley (Chelsea), Dele (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Declan Rice (West Ham United)

Forwards

Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Jadon Sancho (Borussia Dortmund), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Callum Wilson (AFC Bournemouth)