The England thread

Yeah I definitely think it's case of just getting the job done in this game, the experiments will come in the 5 or 6 friendlies we play before next Summer. Sturridge will get his chance I'm sure, as will Cleverley, Jones, etc.

This isn't strictly England related but since the game is tonight let's kick it off anyway by talking about...Armenia!

I've only just noticed how well they're doing in this campaign. A 4-1 win over Macedonia puts them top of their group (obviously with Russia and Ireland yet to play tonight) and they're in with a real shot at making it to Euro 2012. If Slovakia can beat Russia tonight they might be in a good position, yet I don't remember them ever doing anything remotely in these qualifiers before. Anyone know if something happened or if they've just come good all of a sudden?

This isn't strictly England related but since the game is tonight let's kick it off anyway by talking about...Armenia!

I've only just noticed how well they're doing in this campaign. A 4-1 win over Macedonia puts them top of their group (obviously with Russia and Ireland yet to play tonight) and they're in with a real shot at making it to Euro 2012. If Slovakia can beat Russia tonight they might be in a good position, yet I don't remember them ever doing anything remotely in these qualifiers before. Anyone know if something happened or if they've just come good all of a sudden?

Short of Russia failing to beat Andorra, they can't get through automatically because it goes Points > Head to Head > Goal difference, doesn't it? Unless I'm mistaken. How they've done so well, though, I haven't a clue, I've not heard of any of their players.

True but would be nice to see them qualify. Different teams getting to these tournaments always interests me which is why I'm pulling for sides like Bosnia, Hungary and Montenegro to qualify (although obviously, I'd prefer it if the latter did it via the play-offs!).

Will he just miss the first game of Euro 2012 should we qualify now, or is he gonna miss the entire group stage?

Depends on what ban UEFA decide to impose. Should be 3 games for violent conduct.

This was England's last qualifying game? Don't the friendlies before the Euro count? I was surprised to hear Rooney will miss at least one Euro Cup match, not mad though :pervert:

Very happy for Montenegro too.

edit: lol @ Bent saying it's a massive achievement for England. They had a piss easy group, and have players from top teams in the world, and still managed to draw 3 times.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

The job's done and that's all that matters, I'm a bit disappointed in Rooney but maybe a game or two off at the beginning of a major tournament might be a blessing in disguise.

We could have won every game and not conceded a goal and you so called fans still wouldn't be happy, you're expectations are beyond too much. Just because we are the almighty England doesn't give us the right to win games against what are perceived to be 'lower' nations, we are a long way off being a Spain/Holland/Germany. At the moment we are in a big group of nations in Europe that could be called the best of the rest and within that group any nation could easily beat another on any given match day, and that's why I never expect to win and results like today's should be seen as very good results.

As for next Summer, can we win it? I believe we can but we'd have to play better than we've done in major tournaments for the last 20-odd years and get some luck along the way too. In reality I'd be content with a quarter final and absolutely made up with a semi final, anything more would be widely beyond my expectations.

• Like 1