The England thread

I remember 10 years ago people were hailing Paul Robinson, Scott Carson, Chris Kirkland, Ben Foster and Richard Wright as future greats. What the fuck happened?

Kirkland was a good keeper when he was with us, he just suffered because Houllier couldn't settle on either him or Dudek, so we ended up switching keepers whenever one of them had a bad couple of games. Having bones made out of biscuits doesn't help him either.

Carson also looked like a decent prospect for us, remember when he played against Juventus during the CL run in 04/05 and he made some good saves, and despite the pressure he didn't look too flustered during corners or periods when Juve were putting us under pressure. He never recovered from that England game against Croatia though, all the confidence seemed to drain out of him and he's never really recovered.

Similarly with Foster, he had a great season at Watford and won us the Carling Cup with his penalty saving heroics and he got his chance when Van Der Sar got injured but he just couldn't deal with the pressure of playing for United week in week out and off he went.

• Admin
1645 FOOTBALL: Fifa reject the proposal from British sports minister Hugh Robertson to allow the England team to wear poppies on their shirts for the friendly against Spain this Saturday. Fifa say "We regret to inform you that accepting such initiatives would open the door to similar initiatives from all over the world, jeopardising the neutrality of football."

Fuck off you daft twats. Even your vice-President says that we should be allowed!!

1645 FOOTBALL: Fifa reject the proposal from British sports minister Hugh Robertson to allow the England team to wear poppies on their shirts for the friendly against Spain this Saturday. Fifa say "We regret to inform you that accepting such initiatives would open the door to similar initiatives from all over the world, jeopardising the neutrality of football."

Fuck off you daft twats. Even your vice-President says that we should be allowed!!

LARF. Neutrality my ass.

I'm indifferent to it, we've only randomly started doing it recently, and I'm convinced loads of clubs only do it to avoid being that club who's not done it (think Boro or someone got moaned at last year). Wear actual proper poppies on your jacket as you come out then get back to the footie. If I'd had a poppy on for six a side yesterday I'd have ended up with a safety pin in my chest...

• Like 3

We've never done it before (including playing games on the 11th), we don't NEED to do it now. A minutes silence in memory of those who lost their lives in the world wars and poppies on the suits when arriving/leaving the stadium are all it needs. Why the need to run around saying "We mourn better than you!"? Mind you I thought it was incredibly tacky to see the poppies stitched on in the first place :(

• Admin

Disagree. Just because it hasn't been done in the past doesn't mean that it should never be done in the future. It's a matter of paying respect, it's not making a political/religious statement in the slightest.

1009 FOOTBALL: England coach Fabio Capello will miss his son Pierfilippo's wedding in Italy as it clashes with Saturday's international friendly against Spain at Wembley, confirms the Football Association.

Disagree. The only reason I remotely cope with the poppies stitched on shirts is because they generally get auctioned off for charity. I'd have a lot more respect for the team if they had a poppy pinned to their chest that they'd stuck a quid in a tin carried by a RBL chap for rather than being forced to wear a nice Umbro top with some bonus stitching. And don't get me started on the bedazzled x factor poppies. It's not a fucking fashion statement.

Edited by Colly

• Admin

The shirts would have been (maybe they still are even though they're poppy-less?) auctioned off, with the proceeds going to the Royal British Legion charity. Therefore they will receive more money than they would have if it was just a player putting a pound into a collection tin for the sake of a few TV cameras.

How is this a bad thing?

The point is that if England REALLY wanted to show their appreciation with a friendly then they should have arranged a non-FIFA friendly. They'd have been able to wear whatever they want and play whatever rules they wanted.

It's in FIFA's rules that you cannot do that, simply because it'd force them to allow every other country on a case-by-case basis, it's just more convenient to ban it all rather than set up a tribunal before every event.

And here's the kicker. The poppy appeal doesn't just go to World War II veterans anymore, it goes to ALL ex-servicemen (which would include all who fought in Iraq, Afghanistan etc.) Considering that FIFA INCLUDES countries like Iraq, it'd seem like a huge political move to support one country and their wars.

It was rejected on the grounds that it'd be a political move, and thus it stands. I don't see how anyone could disagree with such a thing to be honest, and surely appealing turns the situation away from commemorating the memory of the dead to a mudslinging match with FIFA over RACISM!

• Like 4

The point is that if England REALLY wanted to show their appreciation with a friendly then they should have arranged a non-FIFA friendly. They'd have been able to wear whatever they want and play whatever rules they wanted.

It's in FIFA's rules that you cannot do that, simply because it'd force them to allow every other country on a case-by-case basis, it's just more convenient to ban it all rather than set up a tribunal before every event.

And here's the kicker. The poppy appeal doesn't just go to World War II veterans anymore, it goes to ALL ex-servicemen (which would include all who fought in Iraq, Afghanistan etc.) Considering that FIFA INCLUDES countries like Iraq, it'd seem like a huge political move to support one country and their wars.

It was rejected on the grounds that it'd be a political move, and thus it stands. I don't see how anyone could disagree with such a thing to be honest, and surely appealing turns the situation away from commemorating the memory of the dead to a mudslinging match with FIFA over RACISM!

Nazi terrorist!

• Like 1