AMC's "The Walking Dead"

Maxx

Good episode but a bit annoying as a finale. I think I'm at the stage where they've managed to make me really attached to a lot of the characters, but they just don't seem to be doing anything particularly interesting with them.

Still, next season looks like it'll be decent.

My mate lent me some of the graphic novels so I should really get around to reading those at some point too.

I thought that the second half of the season was so poorly laid out and the finale was terrible. I thought that the Daryl/Beth drinking episode was one of the worst episodes of the show. I thought the finale was terrible - they left so many loose ends untied, the pacing and storytelling was baffling and the ending was just so much of an eye roll. I think they tried to give depth to some of the characters, but it ultimately just failed. Like Bob. It was a terrible attempt at a back story. He just walked around the country side a lot and he got discovered - it gives him no depth.

I know it is a critique of the show that they are too happy to kill characters off, but I find it unbelievable that the group was as fragmented and disjointed as they were, that nobody of real significance died as a result of the group getting split up and the group for the most part is reunited at the end of the day. And the new storyline echoes what we've just seen - oh wow, the group has to come together to face another group who is after them.

I'll keep watching because it hasn't hit the 'jump the shark' moment quite yet and my husband loves it. But the show is getting stagnant. What more can we see Rick and Daryl do? Rick's obsession with protecting his family and Daryl's 'I have to mend my old self with the man I've become' story lines are getting boring. Something has to be done in the fifth season to shake things up.

• Like 1

I can't be the only one that loved the Daryl/Beth episode right? :shifty:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Spoilerfree Comic talk.

I am super exited for The Walking Dead. Big stuff will go down. This weeks issue is the 12 in 12 wich might just feel like a slow aftermath but there needs to be a reason they decided to just stack the pages of all these issues. 125, 126, 127, 128 and 129 all go beyond the usual 22 pages with 127 even going for a full double 44 pages (largest issue ever don) - The only other Issue that went extra pages in terms of actual Story was 100. (They had a few other issues with extra pages, but it was a Joke in 75 i believe and the cast of the TV Show in some other Issue... put that together with outright rushing the current Story Arc having a new Issue every two weeks... (Before the TV Show hit Kirkman Comics tended to take several Month even if "promised" sooner, so even with more money on the table this is a CRAZY pace)

My guess based on the past few issues:

COMIC SPOILERS UP TO 125

The past three/four Issues have been about Rick dieing, ending with the relive that he not only got away once again but also (fucking) killed Negan - my guess is that Rick dies this wensday.

Kirkman never has been low on hyping his stuff, but following up his claims ("Rest assured ALL OUT WAR is taking us to some very new, very different and exciting places. This will be a drastically different book starting with Issue 127, but that's all I'm going to say." Letter Hacks 119) with a 44 page issue... it just feels so so big.

What else could be the big changer? They more or less return to the status quo if they just win the war. Maybe they get overrun by a herd drawn in by all the noise and some of the walls being down?... maybe they get the happy end and the comic switches to a new group for a while. (the covers of comming issues have "this girl" but TWD covers tend to lie)

I am very hyped!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got caught up on the comics. Man I wish we could skip all the next story in the TV show and get right to Negan. I want to see that character on TV ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...

He fucking talks like a motherfucking shitstained twelve-year old fucker who has fucking gotten sort of fucking good at Call of fucking Duty and wants every fucking son of a bitch he plays to know how fucking tough he is.

Also he has a barbed-wire bat and he named it Lucille. It's like a fourteen year-old won a contest where he got to design the villain for like the longest storyarc the comic has ever done.

Actually I don't dig the Lucille thing either. He doesn't even get that pissed for long when it gets damaged so what's the point of it having a name and him being attached to it? AMC will have to clean up his language too so I doubt that TV Negan will have quite the same vocabulary.

edit:Actually iirc there is a part where one of his men trys to talk like him and he just looks at the guy and is like "What the fuck is wrong with you? It's a baseball bat, don't be so fucking weird" or something like that. So I guess he does it to freak people out and make them think he's crazy so they'll be afraid and listen.

Edited by Kirkland

I think they just tried really hard to create a great villain who made people forget the Governor and they failed miserably. They probably wanted a character that people could remember, and I know I will, but not because he was great, but because I dreaded almost every single panel he was in. It's the problem of getting such a great villain in your first try, the rest will have to be really great because if not, they'll look pretty weak in comparison, and Negan? Extremely weak.

Comic spoilers below.

The thing I liked about him was he's not all overly evil all the time. If you don't see the horrible things then he seems like a nice guy. I can kinda see his reasoning behind being all horrible, he thinks to get back on track everyone needs to be under one leader and to him fear is the only thing that'll make everyone fall in under him so he has to do these horrible things and put on this crazy, foul-mouthed act to make people afraid so they'll listen. He's no-where near as evil as The Governor, who was a rapist, child-molesting(Assuming he was doing things to his daughter before she died) revenge driven monster who twisted people into killing each other because someone paid him back for his shit. At least Negan comes around in the end and realizes he's been doing it wrong and Rick is right before Rick stabs him.

'I don't want to do horrible things but I do them anyway because they need to be done if we're going to survive' is his and Rick's positions. The only difference is he turned out to be wrong and his horrible things didn't actually need to be done.

Edited by Kirkland

• 2 months later...