General Television Thread

Hellfire

Every couple of weeks someone asks about TV shows to start watching (usually me but its besides the point). Since making a new thread about every show is sort of pointless, I figured I'd make this, were we can talk about some under appreciated shows that don't have threads and get some ideas about good stuff to watch.

I just finished getting caught up with Supernatural a couple days ago, which I started watching after getting sick of my friend telling me how good it was. I finally took the plunge and almost immediately fell in love with the show. It mixes comedy, action and suspense perfectly and has an awesome premise to the show (two guys drive around the US in a classic car blasting 80's rock and killing demons). It may not be the most sophisticated show, but its damn entertaining.

Supernatural is pure awesome. As someone who grew up watching Buffy and Angel fight it out with hell's biggest and baddest, Supernatural feels like a kind've more adult version of the two and really helped to fill the void of Horror/Action TV Show's. Also True Blood came along and blew everything else out of the fucking water, but Supernatural is probably as much a favourite of mine as TB. The fourth was by far the best series in my opinion, Castiel is the best character since John Winchester.

I just got finished watching the new episode of Bones.

A good episode, I'm glad they're not pulling the trigger on Bones/Booth just yet, but honestly, they can't hold off on it much longer and I really don't see what the big worry is about having them get together. Their relationship, unavoidable eventual break up and then unavoidable getting back together storylines would be great if they go on past this series. The episode itself was good, but nothing special. I really felt like it was missing something, but then I suppose the time that would usually be filled with the other characters had to be used to finalise last series stories this week.

I've also been working my way through House. I love Hugh Laurie and the cast is great, but I'm not sure how much I like the new Team House that appears in series 4 onwards. I don't know why they changed it all up, but apart from 13 and the guy from Harold and Kumar, I don't really have any interest in the other doctors.

Good idea Hellfire, I've thought for a while that we needed a General TV Thread to discuss show's that aren't quite popular enough to get their own thread.

Also'd like to note that I cannot wait for the return of Castle.

Right now, I'm watching Smallville S6, Battlestar Gallactica S2, True Blood S1 and Chuck S2. I should probably just focus on one, but I end up flipping through then at what rate I fancy. The later of my list are Sky Plus'ed, so I don't have control of how often I watch them. BSG and True Blood are just amazing; whiel Smallville and Chuck are still pretty good.

I don't really know what happened with Supernatural, I got through half a season - loved every minute of it; and just didn't pick up the rest of it. My dad also has Saprano's on DVD, which I plan on catching up on too.

On my list to pick up is; Angel (All Seasons), Bones (Season 2 onwards), Alias (All Seasons, Mad Men and so much more. There really is a great range of television out there that I'm eager to watch. Espicially Angel, as I've watched every other Whedon TV show except this one. My media teacher keeps promising me I can borrow, but I'm not sure it'll ever happen. :P

Guest Mr. Potato Head

The Office is the only returning show I'm going to be watching this fall (can't stand starting to watch shows unless I've seen all previous episodes), but I'm going to try out Flash Forward and all of ABC's Wednesday night comedy block as well.

I've been watching True Blood S2 but that's sadly over now. At the same time I'm now watching Dexter S3 (which is eerily similar to season 2 with minor changes) and I'm a couple of episodes into Weeds S1 but I'm not sure I want to continue. I usually watch Mock the Week and Hells Kitchen US every week with the occasional Colbert Report and Dragon's Den. Couple of days ago I started watching Sons of Anarchy's first episode but I was so bored after 15/20 minutes that I just quit, but I guess it gets better because a lot of people are praising the show. Because of the positive reviews here I might start watching Supernatural regularly (I've seen some episodes on TV here and there). Lastly, I'm also waiting for The Office and also Survivor (yes, I love Survivor :blush:).

Ooh, and South Park in October!

Definately stick with Sons of Anarchy. It starts off sort of slow but picks up and just gets better and better. The second season just started and is fantastic.

Right now I'm trying to decide whether to start watching Smallville or Angel. Whatever I don't watch is going to be next so its not really a big deal though. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go Smallville though, to get away from the whole Vampire/Demon thing for a little bit.

I'll be looking to buy Season 5 of The Office and Season 3 of Dexter when it's financially responsible for me. Also going to be borrowing Seasons 3 and 4 of Weeds sometime in the next few weeks.

As for shows that will be coming on TV, I plan on watching Always Sunny In Philadelphia, which starts tonight, Mad Men, The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, and will hopefully be checking out The Mentalist if I can remember.

Supernatural is pure awesome. As someone who grew up watching Buffy and Angel fight it out with hell's biggest and baddest, Supernatural feels like a kind've more adult version of the two and really helped to fill the void of Horror/Action TV Show's. Also True Blood came along and blew everything else out of the fucking water, but Supernatural is probably as much a favourite of mine as TB. The fourth was by far the best series in my opinion, Castiel is the best character since John Winchester.

A good episode, I'm glad they're not pulling the trigger on Bones/Booth just yet, but honestly, they can't hold off on it much longer and I really don't see what the big worry is about having them get together. Their relationship, unavoidable eventual break up and then unavoidable getting back together storylines would be great if they go on past this series. The episode itself was good, but nothing special. I really felt like it was missing something, but then I suppose the time that would usually be filled with the other characters had to be used to finalise last series stories this week.

I've also been working my way through House. I love Hugh Laurie and the cast is great, but I'm not sure how much I like the new Team House that appears in series 4 onwards. I don't know why they changed it all up, but apart from 13 and the guy from Harold and Kumar, I don't really have any interest in the other doctors.

Good idea Hellfire, I've thought for a while that we needed a General TV Thread to discuss show's that aren't quite popular enough to get their own thread.

Without looking at the spoiler... how did you watch it if the new episode doesnt premiere until tonight?

Without looking at the spoiler... how did you watch it if the new episode doesnt premiere until tonight?

The internets is a strange and mysterious place. >_>

I think it aired in Canada yesterday which is how it's been leaked. Good episode.

Supernatural is possibly my favourite television programme in years, just ahead of True Blood. They're just fantastic at mixing comedy in with the emotions and fantastic storylines. They've come so damn far since Season 1 and it's amazing to see the stage they're at now. The recent first episode of the new season was brilliant as well with the great opening twist with Bobby, great stuff.

I'm a big fan and avid watcher of 90210 as well (Yes, I'm a bit of a bitch :P ). Loved the first season and the awesomeness of Jessica Stroup, who's quickly become one of my favourite actresses. Season 2 just started and the first episode was a bit of a change from what they did it Season 1 and I wasn't sure how I felt after it. Episode 2 managed to get me back into the groove though and I'm once again loving it.

To add to the fact that I sound like a girl for liking 90210, I also have been watching 10 Things I Hate About You. I actually really liked the first season. The two main females (Lindsey Shaw and Meghan Martin) have been awesome under their roles so far and let's be honest, we all love some Larry Miller, who is just fantastic in this. The only person who hasn't been convincing so far is the guy playing Cameron, who seemed really weak in acting at first, but he's grown on me slightly. Overall, it's surprisingly enjoyable.

They decided that the original trio had seen to much to be shocked by anything House did anymore. Which I suppose makes sense. Although in the fifth series they seem desperate to bring the original three back.

Not really television but who gives a crap, I just watched Matt Zaller interview Megan Fox and some guy from Jennifer's Body, and it was epic. He asked Fox to put on a paper bag and basically ignored her entire interview, but to be fair to her she didn't seem to get pissy about it, unlike how most of the news world presents her as. I still reckon she's a half wit, but I was surpirised to see her take it so well.

Also currently watching Buffy Series 6, and I've never really thought about it, but as much as I don't like Dawn, her reveal is awesome. It's just like "What? Who is this girl?" and you think Buffy's going to be all like, "I don't have a sister", only for them to pull a 180 and have the entire world changed. Really fits well with the idea of the series and is kind've audience interaction, which is sweet. Also Spike <3.

What I've watched recently

Smallville Season One (episodes 1-12)

So far I'm liking it. Its reminding me somewhat like Kyle XY, which I polished off on a whim in a week after seeing it on Hulu. I don't follow comics so I don't exactly know everything that is going to happen, but random things involving the kryptonite is already starting to get boring. I hope they get some kind of villain in at some point soon.

Glee (episode 3)

Really fun stuff. This show makes me feel a bit gay watching it, as I have a tendency to start humming along and before I know it I'm singing.

The Office

What the hell happened to this show? I couldn't even get through the episode. Going to try next weeks though, as I do like it but in my opinion it was awful.

Going to watch Community now, then back to Smallville!

Last night I watched How I Met Your Mother s05e01, which was fucking awesome. The show never, and I mean never, fails to make me laugh. There's really nothing I love more than sitting down and watching this show, the characters and stories are just fantastic.

I also watched The Big Bang Theory and Two And A Half Men, both of which were something of a let down. T&HM wasn't really good at all, but then it's never really been all that. I was more disappointed with TBBT, which I had high hopes for. Not the best start for the new series I think.

And alst of all I watched the latest episode of Castle, which was brilliant stuff. I love this show, anything that puts Nathan Fillion on my TV is ok by me. The characters are all pretty fantastic as well.