General Television Thread

Hellfire

Yeah it's a fun show but I'm wary of it continuing without Riggs. Apparently the new character will be his brother so it's still "Riggs and Murtaugh" but I'm still not sure how I feel about that. 

13 hours ago, St. Dubb said:

Not a big Wanda Sykes fan, myself - at least on screen. I would love to see them just spin the show off without her - given the storylines from this season, it'd actually be pretty easy to write her off and have the show be about the Connors without Roseanne. There'd be plenty of interesting stories to tell and John Goodman/Laurie Metcalf would be very strong leads.

It would be an interesting 180 from how the original series ended, but this time Roseanne is dead, while Dan stays alive. :P

From what Molly was telling me earlier, they're having some kind of meeting but it's believed that a continuation is a long shot and there's a concern that Roseanne will still profit from the show, even if she's no longer acting on it and they obviously don't want that.

Could be life to the Roseanne spinoff rumors after all

TMZ reports that ABC is planning to reboot Roseanne again and an announcement could happen soon. Executives from the network have been negotiating with Tom Werner, who produced the show through Carsey-Werner. Since he’s involved, this more or less means that it’s a done deal. They’re currently figuring out how to do that without Roseanne Barr, who was the star and executive producer.

ABC has been looking at possibly rebranding the show and focusing on Sara Gilbert’s character Darlene. John Goodman is said to be “very interested” along with the remaining cast and crew. However, while ABC stands by firing Barr, they may have to pay her a fee or back end for her creation of the show. They could also argue that this is a different show so they don’t have to.

ABC is trying to save the jobs of those who worked on Roseanne, which they cancelled last week after Barr sent out a racist tweet comparing Valerie Jarrett to an ape. The announcement could happen as early as this week.

On 30/05/2018 at 07:27, tristy said:

You’ll enjoy Season 2 of Lethal Weapon. They wrapped up Riggs’ character pretty nicely, so at least it didn’t end on a cliffhanger and we return in S3 with a new character out of nowhere. It sets it up pretty nicely, if you know the behind the scenes stuff anyway. I imagine people that don’t and that watched the season finale were pretty shocked and/or confused.

Is season 2 any good? After watching the season 1 finale I expected the entire 2nd season to take place in Mexico with Riggs and Murtaugh trying to track down and kill the cartel boss responsible for Rigg's wife's death. I was very disappointed that they pretty much took care of that in the first episode of season 2 and went back to the case-of-the-week format in the next episode. I dropped the show after that. 

And I had no idea about all the behind the scenes drama. What a mess. Eventhough I'm happy that all the people involved in making the show weren't punished for the bad behavior of one person I don't think I'm interested in Leathal Weapon feat. Stifler. 

Just finished Season 4a of Kimmy Schmidt - lots of fun. Probably best I've seen it since Season 1. Hate that it was only 6 episodes as I was really left wanting more and I just found out the 2nd half won't be out until Jan 2019. 😭😭

2 minutes ago, Hellraiser said:

Is season 2 any good? After watching the season 1 finale I expected the entire 2nd season to take place in Mexico with Riggs and Murtaugh trying to track down and kill the cartel boss responsible for Rigg's wife's death. I was very disappointed that they pretty much took care of that in the first episode of season 2 and went back to the case-of-the-week format in the next episode. I dropped the show after that. 

And I had no idea about all the behind the scenes drama. What a mess. Eventhough I'm happy that all the people involved in making the show weren't punished for the bad behavior of one person I don't think I'm interested in Leathal Weapon feat. Stifler. 

I’m much more interested in “case of the week” Lethal Weapon instead of them spending an absurd amount of time on one character’s arc. After awhile, that storyline just got pretty boring so I was glad they ended it pretty quickly. Could it have used an episode or two more to flesh it out? Sure. But did it need an entire season? Absolutely not.

They’re straight up fucking with the LW timeline now though, so I gusss the movies aren’t canon and this isn’t a prequel series to the movies like I thought going in. There’s pretty much no way they can make the movies canon and also keep going forward the way they are in S3.

2 hours ago, tristy said:

I’m much more interested in “case of the week” Lethal Weapon instead of them spending an absurd amount of time on one character’s arc. After awhile, that storyline just got pretty boring so I was glad they ended it pretty quickly. Could it have used an episode or two more to flesh it out? Sure. But did it need an entire season? Absolutely not.

They’re straight up fucking with the LW timeline now though, so I gusss the movies aren’t canon and this isn’t a prequel series to the movies like I thought going in. There’s pretty much no way they can make the movies canon and also keep going forward the way they are in S3.

Maybe I was so disappointed because I binged season 3 of Narcos (which deals with the rise and downfall of the Cali Cartel after Pablo Escobar's death) a few weeks before Lethal Weapon returned. 

And I don't think that the LW TV show was ever meant to be a prequel to the movies. Just a different version of the story. IIRC Murtaugh and Riggs didn't know eachother when they met eachother in the beginning of the first movie. 

Edited by Hellraiser

I didn't realise it was only six episodes. I watched episode 1 today and wasn't in love with it, but it had some great moments. looking forward to the rest.

I'm still a little concerned about the potential reaction in some quarters from others that are on Roseanne's side to any potential reboot. 

Instead of the cast and crew simply being allowed to get on with their job it'll probably be a ton of harassment online directed at anyone involved with the reboot. "Leftist Hollywood taking down another real American for exercising her right to free speech!" but with a lot worse language I imagine.

Also that aside, I wonder how much of the revival's popularity is from Trump voters/sympathisers happy to have a show centered around one of their own who is still potrayed as a decent person and not a crazy or evil person.

That said I hope it goes ahead because, just like with Lethal Weapon, that cast and crew doesn't deserve to lose this opportunity because of the actions of one person. 

12 hours ago, St. Dubb said:

Just finished Season 4a of Kimmy Schmidt - lots of fun. Probably best I've seen it since Season 1. Hate that it was only 6 episodes as I was really left wanting more and I just found out the 2nd half won't be out until Jan 2019. 😭😭

Is this how it was done before?  I could've sworn prior seasons were released in one drop, not broken up like this.  

I have finally got around to watching Atlanta because it is on iPlayer. I heard someone on the radio say that the show is brilliant and doesn't really fit a genre and I agree.

The Beiber episode is by far my favourite. They played Beiber as a black bloke, right? I didn't imagine the whole thing or got it wrong?

9 hours ago, Lint said:

Is this how it was done before?  I could've sworn prior seasons were released in one drop, not broken up like this.  

You're right, previous seasons were all at once. Guess they're trying to stretch the final season out as long as possible.