General Television Thread

Hellfire

Disney Plus launched in the UK today. Thus begins my new lunch break of an epsiode of The Simpsons haha

Btw, if anyone's interested, if you register for CBS All Access now and use the code "GIFT" you get a month's free trial. 

I just got through watching Tiger King on Netflix and all I can say is wow. I knew people involved in the exotic animal industry were often weirdos but just wow. I would also like a follow up at some point to find out what happens to "Doc" Antle and co.

Finally got stuck into watching Oz, which it turns out, is perfect quarantine watching. We binged the first six episodes yesterday and it's very good. The first episode is especially good, such a tight piece of writing and a perfect introduction into that world. The first six eps definitely have some pacing flaws, but largely, it's gripping viewing and all the more impressive that it proceeded the boom of TV in the way we know it. Definitely living up to the hype.

Also just seen that Generation Kill is available on Sky and I'm excited to finally get stuck into that as well. 

Poor timing that Sky seems to have removed the third season of The Deuce and Succession, though. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Finally got stuck into watching Oz, which it turns out, is perfect quarantine watching. We binged the first six episodes yesterday and it's very good. The first episode is especially good, such a tight piece of writing and a perfect introduction into that world. The first six eps definitely have some pacing flaws, but largely, it's gripping viewing and all the more impressive that it proceeded the boom of TV in the way we know it. Definitely living up to the hype.

Also just seen that Generation Kill is available on Sky and I'm excited to finally get stuck into that as well. 

Poor timing that Sky seems to have removed the third season of The Deuce and Succession, though. 

Oz is such a good show! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RazorsEdge said:

I just got through watching Tiger King on Netflix and all I can say is wow. I knew people involved in the exotic animal industry were often weirdos but just wow. I would also like a follow up at some point to find out what happens to "Doc" Antle and co.

I got all the people at my work to watch it and it was all people talked about this morning.

12 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

She definitely did.

Agreed. I also felt like she actually treated her cats and people worse than the other places. She was very hypocritical - If she really cared about the cats she would've been teaming up with real zoos to help breed and re-distribute into the wild.

How could we all completely forget about Jeff Lowe? Dude must be at least 60 and he's walking around. wearing a bandana under a snapback and dressed like he's a white rapper from 2003.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gazz said:

How could we all completely forget about Jeff Lowe? Dude must be at least 60 and he's walking around. wearing a bandana under a snapback and dressed like he's a white rapper from 2003.

And was more interested in how good looking their nanny would be rather than her child raising skills. He was a complete creep and con man.

• Like 2

On 27/03/2020 at 19:52, RazorsEdge said:

Agreed. I also felt like she actually treated her cats and people worse than the other places. 

Cats, maybe. People, absolutely not, unless there's something major I haven't seen in the last two episodes yet since that's where I'm at. She's exploiting volunteer work and transparently doesn't care about 90% of them but Joe Exotic and Doc Antle are outright predators.

When it came out how little the people who work for Joe making and what their living conditions are like my jaw dropped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Cats, maybe. People, absolutely not, unless there's something major I haven't seen in the last two episodes yet since that's where I'm at. She's exploiting volunteer work and transparently doesn't care about 90% of them but Joe Exotic and Doc Antle are outright predators.

When it came out how little the people who work for Joe making and what their living conditions are like my jaw dropped.

Yeah that was crazy. Living in this dumpy fucking trailers with no running water, picking over the meat truck for food. And then there's Doc Antle's, uh, "employees". Who make $100. A week. How generous. 

Yeah, basically everyone in that show was fucking awful -- including the director, since he continually misgendered and deadnamed Saff (the one who, uh, to avoid going to spoiler tags lets just say you'd remember his story from the start of ep 2). Definitely couldn't look away though, finished it today. I've also been watching a looooot of documentaries about cults lately so basically the whole time my alarms were going off for Doc Antle. 

But yeah, Carole definitely did it. And James and Jeff totally set up Joe (though fuck Joe for a litany of other reasons lol).

11 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Yeah on reflection I could've worded it better as she obviously wasn't as bad to people as the others.

She exploited volunteers working extreme hours for no pay and in her own way indoctrinated them to her cause, despite the fact she openly says she doesn't know who the majority of them are. So she was very similar to Joe and Doc but without drugs/cult stuff and more using the power of "we're helping the cats" to trick people, and not as actively aggressive as Joe or Doc.

https://tv.avclub.com/sex-drugs-and-big-cats-we-debate-tiger-kings-misogyn-1842534370

Katie Rife and Marah Eakin on AVClub talk and debate about the show. Good read. EDIT: Oh, and mild spoilers for the series.

6 hours ago, LittleDaniel said:

Yeah, basically everyone in that show was fucking awful -- including the director, since he continually misgendered and deadnamed Saff (the one who, uh, to avoid going to spoiler tags lets just say you'd remember his story from the start of ep 2). Definitely couldn't look away though, finished it today. I've also been watching a looooot of documentaries about cults lately so basically the whole time my alarms were going off for Doc Antle. 

But yeah, Carole definitely did it. And James and Jeff totally set up Joe (though fuck Joe for a litany of other reasons lol).

Saff is transgender?  I must've missed that mention