General Television Thread

Hellfire

21 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

it wasn't mentioned at all in the show, but in the 911 call you do hear his coworker using he/him pronouns.

this is from the reporter/producer of the podcast about it

Hide contents

Oh...ok I'm not going to lie, I just thought Saff was a man from the get go

The last episode of The Good Doctor, which I assume was the season finale = WOW!!

They killed off Dr. Melendez, which sucked. (Creative decision, not the actor wanting to leave), Park possibly leaving after that heartbreaking patient death, Morgan's career as a surgeon probably being over with (but that's been coming for a while), and the stuff that went on with Shaun.

The pacing on Oz is a little all over the place, but I thought Season 2 really found its feet half-way through and explored some interesting and poignant themes. It's consistently and it makes me examine my preconceptions about the justice system. I'm really hoping the show continues to evolve and doesn't stagnate, in the sense that Season 2 felt like a 'bigger' version of Season 1 and now I really want to see them push to get more out of their characters, the dynamics and for us to see some satisfying conclusion to some characters arcs. I'm enjoying seeing the show that laid the ground work for some of my favourite all-time TV. Oz certainly isn't as tight or well-written at The Sopranos or The Wire, but it holds its own as gripping and thought-provoking television. 

https://uproxx.com/tv/netflix-tiger-king-tips-cold-case-carole-baskin-missing-husband/

Can you imagine being the dude assigned to comb through tips on a cold case from a bunch of fucking Netflix detectives? Of course they haven't gotten any credible tips lately. I bet that dude has seen some wild-ass "tips" though.

11 hours ago, tristy said:

Christopher Meloni is returning to the Elliot Stabler role, in a new SVU spin-off series.

I feel cheated out of a reunion between Stabler and Benson, though.

He apparently will be part of the organised crime unit. I imagine they'll do a cross over episode somewhere, though.

Shame that Happy! got cancelled but at least Meloni is getting some work still, very underrated actor.

Comedian Christopher Titus has started to upload the episodes of his old sitcom, which ran on Fox for 3 seasons back in the early 2000s, to his Youtube channel. 

He's also not completely sure  if he's allowed to do it, saying "We'll do this until they tell us to stop" 

38 minutes ago, tristy said:

Well I don't think Disney is in any hurry to post that series to Disney+ or Hulu.

I loved this show when it was on originally but its never been released except for a DVD release in like 2006.  I will admit, I did check Disney+ to see if it was on there lol

• Haha 1

There were so many shows from the 90's/early 2000's that were on Fox that I would love to be able to watch again. I'm really hoping that Disney+ goes ahead and absorbs Hulu over time, hiding the more mature content behind a security wall for parents who don't want their kids watching stuff above a certain rating.

I also have no idea who owns it now, but Ryan Reynolds needs to buy the rights to Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place... and then just give it back to the world. That show was great, and gets bonus points for having Nathan Fillion.

I finished Tiger King last night.

That was the worst documentary series I have ever watched. I finished the documentary and felt angry because I had wasted my time watching. It felt pointless, exploitative, and harmful as content.

• The 5 "main" players of the documentary were all unlikable terrible people. And not really in an entertaining way. 
  • Lets start with Joe. Joe definitely  hired someone kill to Carole Baskin. He terrorized Carole Baskin for years. Joe definitely leveraged the drug addictions of two of his husbands to keep them close to him. He paid his employees terribly. He is a narcissist. He abused animals. He was opportunistic - the second he was vulnerable, he turned to PETA to help him. I have no idea why a Netflix series would follow him or in any way glamorize him. He was probably the worst of the bunch, minus Jeff. 
  • The best of the bunch is Carole Baskins. Carole Baskins almost certainly did not kill her husband. Her worst trait is that she was likely complacent in his disappearance and/or death. Her husband was almost certainly involved in drugs and/or cartels and probably died as a result. She also was terrible to her volunteers and ran a shitty cult, but ... at least she kind of treated the animals better. 
  • I can't split hairs between who is worse - Doc or James. Doc runs a sex cult, definitely mistreats animals, and definitely is involved in other shady dealings, but he was not the focus of the documentary. So we do not know the full extent to his terribleness. But again, objectively terrible person. James, again, is not focused on in the documentary. But he is definitely involved in illegal businesses, likely stealing, drugs and gangs. But his worst trait is that he was complacent in all of this. He was definitely involved in the planning of the murder of Carole Baskin, but probably just being there in the room and not doing anything to stop it. 
  • Jeff Lowe is the worst of them, because he is clearly the most high functioning sociopath of them all and knew how to exploit these country bumpkins, steal their money, and was just wanted to raze and burn it all. He definitely would not have cared if Carole died, probably gave the money to do it and then threw Joe under the bus entirely. I am certain he has done worse. 

And it just ends. The documentary definitely wants us to believe that Jeff is terrible (and he is) and that Carole is terrible (however, the least terrible of all the main subjects), but what about Doc? What about James? What about Joe? Why are these characters glamorized? Why are they the focus of 7 hours of television? Why did I waste my time watching this? Why did the creators of this documentary focus so much on these terrible characters and less about the hell they put these animals through? 

What was the point? To create content?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had similar thoughts. Throughout watching it, I was constantly questioning my wife as to who in this story is a good person and none of them were. The real sad part to this story was the animals themselves which ironically was supposed to be what they were all there for.

Every time I saw a tiger at that Doc's place, it was massively overweight, suggesting to me that they were not getting nearly enough exercise and being overfed and this is before getting to his grooming of young girls which considering we're in 'MeToo' times is shocking that it's being brushed over.

The design of it, and the structure of Netflix's binge mentality, especially in regards to its true crime content, felt like its downfall to me. It sets up all of this mystery, this desire to find out what happened and they don't have a satisfying end to everything they set up. The first few episodes are entertaining and outrageous, especially in the trust they they lead to something meaningful, but it never finds that. It felt hollow to me, especially because all the characters involved are so insufferable, and its moral compass seems to fade away at the end. 

I liked it at as a piece of outrageous entertainment to begin with, but it's not a show I'll be thinking about in the future. 

• Like 2