General Television Thread

Hellfire

Although I was initially really skeptical and I still kind of am, I watched my first two episodes of Don't Trust The B In Apartment 23 and I... kind of liked it.

It has the same thing for me that a lot of other shows have (main character is really annoying to me, can't stand them, etc.) but ultimately the other characters are strong enough for me to see past that. I was watching over my girlfriend's shoulder essentially, I saw the last half of the episode where Van Der Beek flunks out on Dancing With The Stars and the full episode that followed about them going on a bender to the Hamptons. I like Krysten Ritter way more than I probably should.

It was great and ABC sucks for cancelling it.

• Like 2

It's typical that Falling Skies comes back in the UK at a time that I'm going away. Quickly realised 3 have aired in the US though, and another tonight, so I've been able to get them saved onto my tablet meaning I won't fall behind!

Watched the first two episodes of Utopia, as the trailer for the 2nd season got me interested and I wanna watch more Brtish TV. Not bad so far.

As I'm watching that with my girlfriend, I'm finally going to give True Detective a crack. I've tried to resist watching TV dramas in favour of films, but I think I'm giving that up now.

Just finished the third episode of The Leftovers....

Matt has the worst luck ever

Also, someone told me this was a mini-series, is that true?

I will be a happy man once the "anthology series" fad ends
It won't for awhile. It's the perfect model for the current TV climate.

I like anthology style, but it is very much the current hot thing of the year, and it's not even being used for shows that particularly need to be mini-series.

Like what? Off the top of my head, I can only really think of Under the Dome as a major offender of that.

Edited by livid

i think it's just cheating. True Detective was a great show, but it had the luxury of knowing that it could wrap up everything in 8 episodes. Imagine what a season of The Wire, The Sopranos, or Mad Men could do with that…knowing they could start from scratch every year?

Well that's just a silly argument, they could well have done that, nothing was stopping them. Thing with starting fresh every year is that you also have to re-establish everything and everyone, it's not exactly cheating because you instantly drop large parts of what people loved about the show in the first place.

• Like 3

i think it's just cheating. True Detective was a great show, but it had the luxury of knowing that it could wrap up everything in 8 episodes. Imagine what a season of The Wire, The Sopranos, or Mad Men could do with thatknowing they could start from scratch every year?

Well that's just a silly argument, they could well have done that, nothing was stopping them. Thing with starting fresh every year is that you also have to re-establish everything and everyone, it's not exactly cheating because you instantly drop large parts of what people loved about the show in the first place.
Also, the industry is just in a completely different place than when those debuted.

Anthologies are great. It isn't "cheating"; It's offering us a chance at an even, tightly focused, and complete story, and in a climate where people tend to binge watch shows more often, it's probably the preferable style. I'd rather watch a great anthology that's only eight episodes than get into a great show and watch it slowly change and turn to shit with no end in sight until eventually the main character is a fucking lumberjack or something. Plus, cliffhangers are annoying.

• Like 2

Anthologies are great. It isn't "cheating"; It's offering us a chance at an even, tightly focused, and complete story, and in a climate where people tend to binge watch shows more often, it's probably the preferable style. I'd rather watch a great anthology that's only eight episodes than get into a great show and watch it slowly change and turn to shit with no end in sight until eventually the main character is a fucking lumberjack or something. Plus, cliffhangers are annoying.

I don't know what you're talking about, Dexter ended with his wife dead in the bath at the hands of the Trinity Killer and his son sitting in the blood, bringing everything full circle for Dexter's character.

• Like 3