General Television Thread

Hellfire

Oh, disclaimer; stay away from the comment sections re: TV on Uproxx and Hitfix (unless it's an Alan Sepinwall review). It's a toxic pit in the former and basically Facebook comments on the latter.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZsEYWVJ-rA

Lifetime has released the first glimpse from The Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story, but so far, there's nothing scandalous – the trailer depicts a normal group of teenagers dealing with hormones.

The clip shows the Elizabeth Berkley character (who played Jessie Spano) trying to de-escalate the competition between Lark Voorhies (Lisa Turtle) and Tiffani Thiessen (Kelly Kapowski) for the attention of Mark-Paul Gosselaar (Zack Morris), while Dustin Diamond (Screech Powers) tries to keep up with the physical prowess of Mario Lopez (A.C. Slater). And all the while, the six teens ignore adult direction – pretty much your average high school dynamic.

Diamond's 2009 book, Behind the Bell told of less-PG activities, like drug use and sex, but Lifetime claims their story is unrelated to the tell-all, and is instead based on new interviews with those associated with the show.

Gosselaar, however, recently told Huff Post Live that he was not a part of the process.

"We're not involved," he said, also remarking that his (few) memories of those years on the show are good ones.

"My experience of the show was very positive," Gosselaar said. "When people say, 'Oh, you don't like talking about it.' No, I don't mind talking about it, I just don't really remember that time, and everything I do remember was extremely positive. I still have friendships from it."

What do you think of the Unauthorized version so far?

unauthorized-savedbythebell-2-1024.jpg

"We can't afford actors who actually look like the kids, can we get more money from the network?"

"No. We have a box of really bad wigs and fake eyebrows somewhere, that should be good enough."

This. Wow. They look nothing like the Saved by the Bell cast. Isn't Jessie supposed to be like six-feet even? Can't say I ever pegged the Wingin' It/Degrassi kid to go on to play Zack Morris, either.

As far as modern sci-fi goes, Utopia has really hit home with me. It's troubling because... (spoilers)

... as much as I feel like the bad guys are bad for trying to sterilise a large amount of the population, I also agree with it to a degree - people don't get killed, they just don't get born, and it serves as a temporary solution to the problem of overpopulation until it can be resolved, and it's something I've honestly felt was a solution before. I've always said that for numerous reasons I don't want a kid, and overpopulation is one of the many reasons, but the idea of forcing it on people is obviously troubling.

It's weird, sci-fi is great at these kinds of things, but this is the first time in a long while that a modern TV show has made me personally sit down and assess my own beliefs. Not to mention it's visually outstanding as I've mentioned before. Well worth investing in for anyone with six hours or so to waste on the first series.

As far as modern sci-fi goes, Utopia has really hit home with me. It's troubling because... (spoilers)

... as much as I feel like the bad guys are bad for trying to sterilise a large amount of the population, I also agree with it to a degree - people don't get killed, they just don't get born, and it serves as a temporary solution to the problem of overpopulation until it can be resolved, and it's something I've honestly felt was a solution before. I've always said that for numerous reasons I don't want a kid, and overpopulation is one of the many reasons, but the idea of forcing it on people is obviously troubling.

It's weird, sci-fi is great at these kinds of things, but this is the first time in a long while that a modern TV show has made me personally sit down and assess my own beliefs. Not to mention it's visually outstanding as I've mentioned before. Well worth investing in for anyone with six hours or so to waste on the first series.

Is this in the US anywhere? Can't find it on my cable

Last Week Tonight has been fantastic, it is a shame the first season is about to end. It is probably because it is still new and Oliver's voice is fresh but it is hitting the mark a lot better than Colbert and Jon Stewart have been recently.

• Like 1