General Television Thread

Hellfire

You know, I kind of feel like Orange is the New Black is actually being built with the idea of binge watching not only each season, but the entire show in mind from the start. Season 3 hasn't done a single thing to remind me of who a lot of these characters are.

• Like 1

Regarding the lates Hannibal episode

This is the first time I'm enjoying a Hannibal episode since it's return. Why couldn't this have been the return episode for this season? Why did I have to suffer through 3 episodes of boring dialogue and artistic douchebaggery to get here?

So Chillton is still alive? I didn't expect that. Not at all. They never mentioned it in Season 2 if my memory serves me right. You'd think that it would be an important detail. I love how he is going around trying to get everyone to do his dirty work for him. It is exactely the thing he would do. Makes me kinda happy that they didn't decide to write him out of the shows. And he is hunting down Lecter as well. I'm interested to see where this leads.

I mean, I know where it leads if they don't change the plot from Red Dragon too much: It'll lead too Hannibal back in Chilton's asylum with the set-up we all know and love from "Silence..." and "Red Dragon". But I'm interested to see how they get there.

Unfortunately I also know that in order to get there we'll have to get to Japan first and include more elements from "Hannibal Rising" (I wish everyone would just ignore that book and film and pretend like both of them never happened) which will put a damper on my enjoyment.

And Mason Verger seems to be working together with Dr. Bloom. Another nice twist. I was kinda sad at first when they announced the re-casting of Mason Verger because Michael Pitt was soooo perfect in that role. But that Joe Anderson guy is doing a good job as well.

Edited by Hellraiser

I got to the end of episode two and I just... I dunno, I WANT so badly to like it, but it seemed like every sci-fi trope they could throw in, plus some mild sexist and racist stereotypes to boot. I'll give episode three a chance purely because I want to support space sci-fi, and that was a two parter, but it's going to have to make a big change to get me past that.

Yeah, I tried the first episode and was just underwhelmed, even by the big 'spell it out for ya' reveal at the end. It might become an 'in the background while I iron' show if it's lucky.

Plus side, The Expanse sounds more like it'll be the show I want, and has had a second season commissioned before a first has even begun airing, so if Dark Matter does fail, there's still a chance something good in the genre comes out this year.

I'm Alan Partridge was such a superb television show, right up there with The Office for me. I love the way we do short-lived comedies. I finally got round to finishing it after doing Knowing Me, Knowing You around Christmas time. Just makes me want to re-watch the film now, and find one of the British comedies I haven't done yet.

Also, anyone watching Humans on Channel 4? Want to know if it's worth a go.

• Like 2

Oh nice, I really liked Utopia for what it was, but I never quite got into Black Mirror despite some great reception. I was really underwhelmed by the first two episodes, but was very intrigued with the Christmas Special with Jon Hamm. I've been slacking a bit on recent British TV, I feel it hasn't come close to the previous year, which I thought was a real high point for British drama.

I was 50/50 on whether or not to carry on Chicago Fire into season three after last year's tasteless marathon bombing episode, but decided to give it a chance. Started off well as...

...my least favourite character has been killed off. Stupid, boring Lauren German, so glad she's gone. Terrible actress with no range.

Hannibal season 3...

Is anyone else finding this season a bit underwhelming? The story hasn't been particularly enthralling and the constantly dull/dark pallette just feels like a really forced attempt at being maccabre in a show that doesn't need more of it.

• Like 1

Hannibal season 3...

Is anyone else finding this season a bit underwhelming? The story hasn't been particularly enthralling and the constantly dull/dark pallette just feels like a really forced attempt at being maccabre in a show that doesn't need more of it.

I think it's been great. The first three episodes were great focus pieces on Hannibal and Will, and on how their relationship has developed since the season 2 finale, which was a huge turning point. I also loved how the first episode focused more on what Hannibal is thinking, as well as the new twist in his relationship with Belinda. The fourth episode was fun in the exposition in what are the other characters' roles going to be, and as Belinda pointed out, Hannibal is drawing all the forces that are against him towards him. So many people are now going for him, all for their own reasons. As for the lighting, it feels the same as the first two seasons 2 me, but I like how they seem to be trying out more things with it.

I've been enjoying it immensely, I like that it's not an episode that does nothing but move the plot along episode-by-episode.

I liked this week's a lot. The Eurocentric episodes felt like they really went off the deep end and I desperately needed a break from the dreamscape stuff.

I think I'm probably going to stick with Ballers and The Brink. The Brink's had some pretty funny moments ("We are so fucking fucked!") and a good cast that makes it work. Ballers has just been a fun show with some good performances by The Rock and Rob Corddry.