General Television Thread

Hellfire

I hope you like BoJack S2 as much as I did. Great stuff.

Weirdly, I've been using an old beloved popular anime as my background TV too in Dragonball.

S2 of BoJack is probably my favorite thing I've watched recently. The game show episode was amazing, with a perfect ending. It's easily the best animated show going right now, and that's against some stiff competition from Rick and Morty and Steven Universe.

• Like 1

Grace and Frankie is odd. I really like the characters Grace and Frankie, but the gay dynamic is really weird. I mean besides Sam Waterston being a feminised wife surrogate there is also something really weird with how he and Martin Sheen interact. I kind of wish they'd just cut them out of the show.

I feel like Ballers has got better over the last two episodes. I compliment how easy it is to watch, how quick the half an hour goes, and it's definitely getting more dramatic and getting a handle on its characters. I was ready to come here and moan about the use of female characters again, but there was some progression this week, although that was obviously balanced out by the use of the strip club and the way it's shot. It's still nowhere near perfect or anything, but it's so watchable and actually feels like it's finding its feet now. 

• Like 1

My husband, who has more tolerance for mindless TV shows, hated it. I stopped watching after 30 seconds or so. 

I've started watching Mr Robot. I assumed it would be bland or awful and procedural because USA network, but it's actually cool as shit, even though I can see the twist coming from a mile away I think. Still, fun show, cool characters and it even looks nice. Time to binge. 

• Like 1

I like it. I watched the pilot before it aired (USA sent out links to it to people that messed with the little Ask Mr. Robot ARG), and it had this almost sort of movie-like feel to it in the way it's produced that I really dig. I'm probably going to start recording it, because I only catch episodes here or there when I remember that it's on. 

I've been rewatching Degrassi TNG and man, certain things make me realize how dated the early seasons are now. Everyone has flip phones, Jimmy's top of the line MP3 player was so big you could bludgeon someone with it, when Manny wants to be hot she throws on a high thong and lowrider jeans which is an outfit straight out of a 2002 music video, no one besides Jimmy gives Spinner shit for his blatant homophobia, not even his girlfriend with the openly gay brother.

• Like 1

Just watched the latest Hannibal episode. Now this is what I'm talking about! Very good episode. A shame it took us 7 episodes to get here. I'm surprised how close Fuller sticks to the source material this time though. We've seen in the last two seasons that he takes elements from the books and/or movies and puts his own spin on them. But so far this has been a pretty faithful adaptation of Red Dragon with a few minor deviations.

I like Richard Armitage as Francis Dolarhyde from what I've seen so far. It seems to me like he took a lot of inspiration from Ralph Fiennes' interpretation of the character. Which isn't a bad thing since I think Fiennes's has been the strongest Dolarhyde. I'm curious if they're going to give us his full backstory as detailed in the book.