Hellfire

General Television Thread

PolaMDK    22,623
1 hour ago, Skummy said:

Now TV have added the SyFy Channel to the OnDemand service, meaning I can finally check out that Blood Drive thing you lot were banging on about.

Honestly, it is such a daft show. You really need to turn your brain off for the first episode and just let it happen.

Benji    43,295
2 hours ago, MDK said:

Honestly, it is such a daft show. You really need to turn your brain off for the first episode and just let it happen.

Which was not hard for me :)

PolaMDK    22,623
2 hours ago, Benji said:

Which was not hard for me :)

Yes but you have a beautiful soul

• Like 1

Benji    43,295
Just now, MDK said:

Yes but you have a beautiful soul

This is Frank Reynolds and "Troll Toll" all over again.

PolaMDK    22,623
1 minute ago, Benji said:

This is Frank Reynolds and "Troll Toll" all over again.

Oh I don't watch that show.

Benji    43,295

You should, I think you would like it.

PolaMDK    22,623
1 minute ago, Benji said:

You should, I think you would like it.

I've seen clips of it and read a few things and I dunno. Rubs me the wrong way.

Jasonmufc    5,202

I hope it'll be a prequel (must be, right?), and i'm excited about the prospect of it. The vague but intriguing lore behind all the things surrounding 'the life' have always lent themselves to a larger universe around it. The gold coins, the blood bonds, and all those people in the know from seamstresses to cops.

I also wonder if Lance Reddick and Ian McShane play roles in the show, because they have pretty prominent roles in the film franchise.

livid    1,795
13 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

I hope it'll be a prequel (must be, right?), and i'm excited about the prospect of it.

We'll have to know how the third movie ends I guess to really gauge but it could be before, during or after since it's about the hotel more than John Wick proper. 

I would not at all be surprised if Reddick ends up being the focus of the series. McShane would probably recur if he sticks around American Gods.

Edited by livid

=BK=    9,775

Soon. :D

• Like 1

=BK=    9,775

I'm really curious how they work Sarah in since she's the one not playing Becky. 

Benji    43,295

Since it came on UK Netflix I have been rewatching Friends for the first time in what is probably the longest time since it first aired. It's aged surprisingly well for a show almost a quarter of a century old. There's the to be expected "gay/trans panic" stuff from the guys, but it's still really funny to me, and I think having watched it on first airing makes it easier for me to digest a lot of it.

• Like 2

Apsham    10,135
3 hours ago, =BK= said:

I'm really curious how they work Sarah in since she's the one not playing Becky. 

She's playing a new character - a woman who hires Becky as a surrogate mother.

• Like 1

tristy    2,879
1 hour ago, Benji said:

Since it came on UK Netflix I have been rewatching Friends for the first time in what is probably the longest time since it first aired. It's aged surprisingly well for a show almost a quarter of a century old. There's the to be expected "gay/trans panic" stuff from the guys, but it's still really funny to me, and I think having watched it on first airing makes it easier for me to digest a lot of it.

I was a little kid when Friends was airing (15 when it ended), so I knew basically nothing about it other than my parents used to watch it weekly. I recently went through the entire series, and it's just a complete joy. Sure, times have changed, and some of the jokes don't hit like they would have in the 90s and the gay/trans stuff is a little cringe inducing, but other than that, it's really fun.

Just finished the last season of the West Wing. And now I'm mad that no one ever did a spin-off with the new President and the mixture of old/new faces from the Bartlet administration. Tons of possibilities, damnit. There was a few missteps in the last season or two, but other than that, it's almost a perfect TV series. 

PanamAdam    6,624

I watched the first few episodes the other night with my girlfriend, I grew up with Friends and have seen every episode countless times but not for a few years. I enjoyed pointing out the changes in the styles and decor and everything, and picking up on obvious filming tricks such as empty coffee cups, but all in all I still laughed the whole way through it. It's quite a charming show and as long as you go in remembering the time period it exists in, it's not a problem that.

What is a problem is it dawning on me that I am now as old as all of those characters were at the start of the show. Jennifer Aniston in Season 1 was my current age. Scary.

Benji    43,295
4 minutes ago, Los IngobernAdam de Japon said:

What is a problem is it dawning on me that I am now as old as all of those characters were at the start of the show. Jennifer Aniston in Season 1 was my current age. Scary.

Oh God, seriously. One of the early jokes is "you could pass for about 25, 26" and the response "I AM 26" made me want to crawl into a hole and die.

• Like 3

Benjamin    5,886

Friends was awesome. It was a show that had a definite deep, but only like after 7 and a half seasons or so. There's still like at least two or three good episodes in each of the final episodes, though, which are some of the best of the entire series. It's a great show that you can watch anytime.

• Like 1

tristy    2,879

I watch it every night at work since it's usually on Nick at Night (or whatever it's called now) when I'm having lunch. I had to admit it, but I'm starting to become a fan of the George Lopez Show too due to that block of programming they have. Two & A Half Men sucks, though.

Wish I could find a place to watch Spin City, though.

• Like 1

Kaney    8,754

Eh, once they reduced each character to essentially a sole defining trait it got a bit rubbish in my opinion. I loved the list someone made that shows how Monica was a horrible person though.

• Like 2

Skummy    35,503
7 minutes ago, Kaney said:

Eh, once they reduced each character to essentially a sole defining trait it got a bit rubbish in my opinion. I loved the list someone made that shows how Monica was a horrible person though.

Yeah, that's why I went off it - and then it only got worse, in that it just assumed you already knew all those character traits - so Chandler wasn't being a sarcastic joker any more, they were just telling jokes about Chandler being a sarcastic joker.

I've no inclination to go back and watch it, as the style of comedy doesn't really do anything for me any more, but I will admit it has one or two lines, even in later seasons, that I still love. I will never not laugh at;

"Chandler...did your dad ever hug you?"
"No...did he hug you?"

On a similar vein, I found myself watching a few episodes of Frasier while I was in a hotel over the weekend, and I always joke about how you could create two piles of Frasier episodes, one of episodes in which all the central characters end up trapped in one building for the duration of the episode, and one in which they don't, and they'd be roughly the same height - that's an exaggeration, but it's a trope they seemed to use an awful lot. That said - I caught the ski lodge episode, and it is genuinely a masterful bit of farce and comic misunderstanding, all room-swapping, mishearings and misunderstandings, and it works out perfectly. Frasier's delivery at the end of it all, when he realises that while every other character is pursuing another, amongst all these crossed wires and romantic urges, no one was pursuing him is absolutely brilliant.

In the previous episode, there's a scene in which Frasier joins Niles in leading his couples therapy class just after Niles finds out Maris is cheating on him, that is just exquisitely well written too.

• Like 2

tristy    2,879

I'm somehow not surprised to discover Skummy likes Frasier. :P

• Like 2

Benji    43,295
5 minutes ago, Skummy said:

That said - I caught the ski lodge episode, and it is genuinely a masterful bit of farce and comic misunderstanding, all room-swapping, mishearings and misunderstandings, and it works out perfectly. Frasier's delivery at the end of it all, when he realises that while every other character is pursuing another, amongst all these crossed wires and romantic urges, no one was pursuing him is absolutely brilliant.

Seriously, that episode is pinnacle Frasier. Even if you don't watch the show you should watch that one episode.

• Like 1