General Television Thread

Hellfire

It's pretty great writing, tbh. By building in the repetitive nature of the segment, you have certain expectations for it that they constantly subvert in order to make a joke and point out how little we know about geography. Assuming you're talking about the segment that I think you are, at least.

Edited by livid
  • Like 2

Not sure what I fancy watching next. Can anyone suggest me a good drama that's only a couple of seasons in at the moment? I'm thinking of doing Deadwood, Narcos or Sense, but I'm interested by stuff like the British Tinker, Tailor and any kind of mini-series. Was thinking of doing Todd Haynes' Mildred Pierce before I go see Carol in a month or something. Was thinking about Treme off the back of The Wire, but I don't think it's available to me at the moment. 

If you have HBO Now or HBO Go it should be. Dunno about availability of those services in the UK, admittedly. Treme is a fantastic piece of work.

The Treme theme song/opening is one of my favorites ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M1Iagf3GSs

Edited by Cloudy

It's pretty great writing, tbh. By building in the repetitive nature of the segment, you have certain expectations for it that they constantly subvert in order to make a joke and point out how little we know about geography. Assuming you're talking about the segment that I think you are, at least.

It's almost his entire show, not just one segment.

Do UK talk shows not follow a specific format from week to week? Because the show having a distinct structure throughout is how every talk show in the US works. 

We don't really have them in the same way, Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe is probably the closest we get. I think it's the nature of the format really, Brooker does 6 episodes every 6 months, while LWT is every week and I've tried to keep up with the Daily Show since Noah took over but it's just so formulaic if you watch every episode.

The Last Kingdom is just great. Why aren't you guys watching it?! :angry: Is BBC America not widely available or something?

Yes/no. It's not available everywhere and is usually pretty hard to find among the million channels we have. 

Don't get your hopes up for more Community, it and other original series contributed to Yahoo losing $42m :(

Well I would bet that there does end up being a movie but yeah, no more seasons for sure. 

The Last Kingdom is just great. Why aren't you guys watching it?! :angry: Is BBC America not widely available or something?

Yes/no. It's not available everywhere and is usually pretty hard to find among the million channels we have. 

Don't get your hopes up for more Community, it and other original series contributed to Yahoo losing $42m :(

Well I would bet that there does end up being a movie but yeah, no more seasons for sure. 

Well that blows, because it's really entertaining, the set pieces and the dialogue especially.