General Television Thread

Hellfire

18 minutes ago, Colly said:

So I accidentally signed up to a month of free Amazon Prime (whilst ordering toothbrush heads. What a weekend), what do I marathon to take advantage bearing in mind I already have Sky and Netflix? The Nazi thing? It looks a bit clunky and horrible to be honest, I'll be glad to be rid of it...

Mr Robot, since it's Prime exclusive and apparently excellent. Don't have Prime myself so can't personally vouch for it, but it's had very good reviews off a few of my mates.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Saw an advert for the Night Manager on BBC One tonight.Looks fantastic.

Seems like the beeb have thrown a lot of money at that going by the people involved. It definitely seems to be their new thing, because War and Peace (which I think has been pretty good) is similarly star-studded, but not even close to the same level. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Mr Robot, since it's Prime exclusive and apparently excellent. Don't have Prime myself so can't personally vouch for it, but it's had very good reviews off a few of my mates.

Just finished that myself. It's pretty good. Probably could have sneaked into my top 15 if I had actually watched it last year instead of in the last month.

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Seems like the beeb have thrown a lot of money at that going by the people involved. It definitely seems to be their new thing, because War and Peace (which I think has been pretty good) is similarly star-studded, but not even close to the same level. 

I saw it too, looks fantastic. Presumably this is the type of thing where they try to recoup some money flogging it to America (or is already a coproduction?), so Hiddlestone and Laurie help.

"A Different World" gets a whole lot better after Denise Huxtable isn't the main-character anymore. Not that I don't like the first season but I like it  with the attention more spread out among the cast.  I actually miss Maggie being part of the cast more than Denise. It is a bit weird how allll the white students disappeared between seasons. A white girl in a predominantly black school could've been interesting. Aside from that I'm enjoying it commercial-less way more than when I watched it on Nick-at-Night back in the day even if it's without the little reunion bits.

On 30/01/2016 at 17:25, Lars Mulder said:

So far I've watched the first 7 episodes of the X-Files and I like it! Still ways to go!

Feel like I'm a bit behind 

Of the original run? I'm currently on ep.18 of season 1, never watched it all the way through, just caught bits here and there previously.  Really enjoying it so far, some bits are deliciously early 90s though.

15 hours ago, Jericode said:

I really enjoyed Bosch.  Mr Robot, Transparent and Man in the High Castle are all good as well.

1 hour ago, Be Like Thrill said:
On 30-1-2016 at 18:25, Lars Mulder said:

So far I've watched the first 7 episodes of the X-Files and I like it! Still ways to go!

Feel like I'm a bit behind 

Of the original run? I'm currently on ep.18 of season 1, never watched it all the way through, just caught bits here and there previously.  Really enjoying it so far, some bits are deliciously early 90s though.

Yeah! I've watched episode 8 today, Space, only bad one so far.

I've just rewatched Season 3 of Crossing Jordan. The season was pushed back from 2003 to 2004 and only consisted of 13 episodes because of lead actress Jill Hennessy's pregnancy as opposed to the usual 21 to 22 episode runs of the previous two seasons.  While watching I noticed something odd:

The final episode of season 2 ended with a HUGE cliffhanger regarding Jordan, her father, her half-brother and Woody. And they don't resolve that until the final episode of season 3. They don't even mention it in the episodes preceding it. And then when the season finale finally rolls around it's like no time has passed between the events in the finales of Seasons 2 and 3. For example over the course of Season 3 they introduce a new female coroner to the cast  who is suddenly nowhere to be found in the finale. They don't mention that she is off-duty or home sick or on vacation. She is just suddenly not there anymore. Also Season 3 isn't some kind of prequel Season either. In the 12 episodes leading up to the finale they're working cases like usual.

I was confused so I checked Wikipedia and according to their episode guide it wasn't just the season finale that should' have been the season opener. The entire season was aired out of order from a continuity standpoint. Does anyone have any idea why they did that?

Finally getting around to Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 5 after nearly a year break. I think I'm going to struggle to get to the end of this, there's only so many times I can get frustrated at Larry and his friends being absolutely unbearable pillocks before I just give up. I know sitcoms have a set format and that every episode is pretty much the same, but it's really noticeable to me on Curb.

20 hours ago, Lars Mulder said:

Yeah! I've watched episode 8 today, Space, only bad one so far.

Until last year i'd never watched X-files all the way through, seen the odd episode because my parents and brother liked it a lot. But since October last year i've occasionally watched 2-3 episodes at a time i'm up to season 7 now or something like that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colly said:

It's on Prime? Can I watch 9 seasons in a month I wonder...

There are 202 episodes at approximately 42 minutes each, that's the equivalent of watching for six full days...uninterrupted.

In other news, the OJ Simpson American Crime Story premiere was so good tonight. Fargo has some competition in all the mini-series categories.

Has anyone caught Outsiders? It's a WGN original series, and it seems to be promoted as "filling that Sons of Anarchy sized hole in your heart", probably because Ryan Hurst is in it. David Morse also stars, and it was the highest rated WGN original show ever. Think I might give it a shot, mostly for Ryan Hurst and David Morse.

EDIT: Oh! Muppets came back last night. I think it was a pretty good episode, already way better than the first half of the season. You can tell they're trying to listen to feedback and sort of course-correct on some things (Denise!), and there's more screen time for Uncle Deadly. I approve.