Hellfire

General Television Thread

Jimmy    4,209
On 28/09/2018 at 09:17, MDK said:

I heard or saw a trailer for it but then someone said to ignore the trailer because it is actually very funny. What is the craic here, young man?

It's a nice mix of both. First and foremost, it's a thriller (I guess?), but it's interwoven with a strong sense of humour. It's by the Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who wrote Fleabag, which is definitely more of a proper comedy and is also incredible. I think what's great about it, is it feels so fresh, it almost doesn't feel like it's classifiable, it's a spy show, elements of thriller, comedy, drama, plenty of sexual tension. It's really strong from what I've seen - and a really nice example of Britain talent re-defining what television can be. 

MDK    23,371
12 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It's a nice mix of both. First and foremost, it's a thriller (I guess?), but it's interwoven with a strong sense of humour. It's by the Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who wrote Fleabag, which is definitely more of a proper comedy and is also incredible. I think what's great about it, is it feels so fresh, it almost doesn't feel like it's classifiable, it's a spy show, elements of thriller, comedy, drama, plenty of sexual tension. It's really strong from what I've seen - and a really nice example of Britain talent re-defining what television can be. 

Sex comedy. 

St. Dubb    489
On 28/09/2018 at 23:56, GhostMachine said:

I'm glad LAST MAN STANDING is back, but....the new Mandy SUCKS. I get that they had to recast, but they went from a 5'1" brunette to a 5'10" blonde. The fun thing about the character was that she was a non-blonde airhead. Now that the character is played by a blonde....meh. And the new actress isn't good at all. (They also recast Boyd. But really, who cares?)

Yeah, she is definitely awful...I'd say maybe it'll get better with time, but she has a big uphill battle ahead of her. I really hated the recasting news from the get-go. Would've been better just to write her off somehow, which admittedly would be difficult if you're going to keep Kyle around (which you have to - best part of the show). And yeah on the other hand, I probably wouldn't even realized Boyd had been recast if I didn't already know.

Edited by St. Dubb

GhostMachine    1,020

Oh, I'm already betting Mandy gets recast again after this season. Reaction to the new actress has not been good at all.

Shireen Baratheon is approximately 900% too wholesome for Game of Thrones. :(

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/conan-obrien-tbs-half-hour-late-night-1202796760/

:( Damn, how did I miss this? Just saw his final hour-long show tonight where he announced these changes. I guess you've gotta adapt with the times, and I'm happy he's got so many other projects he's working on, but this kinda bums me out. Been watching Conan loyally since he started in 1993 and I'm sure I'll watch his half-hour show and other stuff too, but its going to be so weird not having the band there, Conan integrated the band members into comedy sketches a lot more than any other talk show hosts do, they were as much a part of the show as anything else. Only one celebrity interview and no musical guests? That's going to take some getting used to, to say the least.

Lars Kuyt    1,509

It's always sunny is still so DAMN GOOOD

=BK=    10,168
On 28/09/2018 at 23:56, GhostMachine said:

Eh. I gave up after two episodes. Heidi lasted one more before she did, too.

I'm glad LAST MAN STANDING is back, but....the new Mandy SUCKS. I get that they had to recast, but they went from a 5'1" brunette to a 5'10" blonde. The fun thing about the character was that she was a non-blonde airhead. Now that the character is played by a blonde....meh. And the new actress isn't good at all. (They also recast Boyd. But really, who cares?)

I've only seen one clip but I don't hate her? Like, she looks enough like the old Mandy that I instantly reconized her as Mandy. The height thing is off-putting though, especially if they pull a Becky and switch back at some point.

Benjamin    5,987

The Haunting of Hill House is getting some seriously good reviews and it's probably going to be the only Halloween-y thing I do this year. Looks like a banger.

Lars Kuyt    1,509
On 12/10/2018 at 07:29, Benjamin said:

The Haunting of Hill House is getting some seriously good reviews and it's probably going to be the only Halloween-y thing I do this year. Looks like a banger.

It is so fucking amazing!

• Like 2

Liam Mk2    3,614

Started F is for Family today and have been quite impressed with the couple of episodes I have seen so far. 

• Like 3

9 to 5    12,479
On 25/09/2018 at 13:32, Lars Kuyt said:

Are there any new tv shows I should keep an eye on?

Emmerdale Farm.

• Like 1

TCO    4,374

The Haunting of Hill House is a must watch even if you're vaugely into horror.

I'm only half way though but I need a break after episode 5, I'm too emotionally shook to continue!

• Like 1

Owen    4,556

God damn Breaking Bad. S5E11 is wild. I'm only halfway through the episode but holy shit.

... I just finished the episode. 'Holy shit' is right.

• Like 3

TCO    4,374

I wish I could experience BB for the first time again. Jealous!

Benjamin    5,987
3 hours ago, TCO said:

I wish I could experience BB for the first time again. Jealous!

I don't remember where I stopped, but I really should start from the beginning and finish it.

Ruki    3,657

I finished Adventure Time. What a wonderful show.