General Television Thread

Hellfire

It just started to click for me at around episode 7, the Halloween episode. Just an awesome, awesome show. I love the entire cast. Easy favourites have to be Abed, Pierce and Troy. I also have much love for Annie. wub.gif

Tonights episode was possibly the best yet. It's the kiss at the end that just made it. And god, I loved the 'this is a different Abed. He's possibly a Vampire!'

Any other shows you'd suggest Livid? I'm about to check out Better off Ted, but I'll need something to get through after I finish Burn Notice and if I like Better Off Ted, that too.

(List of shows I've seen:)

Supernatural

True Blood

Californication

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Angel

How I Met Your Mother

Chuck

30 Rock

Lie To Me

Scrubs

Leverage

Psych

Community

It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia

Lost

Bones

Veronica Mars

Smallville

Prison Break

Castle

Modern Family

Dexter

Fringe

House M.D.

Cougar Town

Rules of Engagement

A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Reaper

Weeds

Heroes

Extras

Black Books

Firefly

Dollhouse

The Big Bang Theory

South Park

The IT Crowd

My Name Is Earl

Arrested Development

Man to Man with Dean Learner

Freaks and Geeks

Undeclared

The Office (UK)

Two And A Half Men

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

It just started to click for me at around episode 7, the Halloween episode. Just an awesome, awesome show. I love the entire cast. Easy favourites have to be Abed, Pierce and Troy. I also have much love for Annie. wub.gif

Tonights episode was possibly the best yet. It's the kiss at the end that just made it. And god, I loved the 'this is a different Abed. He's possibly a Vampire!'

Any other shows you'd suggest Livid? I'm about to check out Better off Ted, but I'll need something to get through after I finish Burn Notice and if I like Better Off Ted, that too.

Supernatural

True Blood

Californication

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Angel

How I Met Your Mother

Chuck

30 Rock

Lie To Me

Scrubs

Leverage

Psych

Community

Lost

Bones

Veronica Mars

Smallville

Prison Break

Castle

Modern Family

Dexter

Fringe

House M.D.

Cougar Town

Rules of Engagement

A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Reaper

Weeds

Heroes

Extras

Black Books

Firefly

Dollhouse

The Big Bang Theory

South Park

The IT Crowd

My Name Is Earl

Arrested Development

Freaks and Geeks

Undeclared

The Office (UK)

Two And A Half Men

I'd suggest The Wire, The Sheild, The Sopranos and Curb Your Enthusiasm as shows to watch that aren't on that list. (Basically check out HBO's back catalogue).

And Garth Marenghi's Darkplace is awesome. (Y)

Supernatural

True Blood

Californication

Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Angel

How I Met Your Mother

Chuck

30 Rock

Lie To Me

Scrubs

Leverage

Psych

Community

Lost

Bones

Veronica Mars

Smallville

Prison Break

Castle

Modern Family

Dexter

Fringe

House M.D.

Cougar Town

Rules of Engagement

A Bit of Fry and Laurie

Reaper

Weeds

Heroes

Extras

Black Books

Firefly

Dollhouse

The Big Bang Theory

South Park

The IT Crowd

My Name Is Earl

Arrested Development

Freaks and Geeks

Undeclared

The Office (UK)

Two And A Half Men

I would suggest Mad Men (Alison Brie who plays Annie in Community is in a fair bit of episodes), Sons of Anarchy (Ron Perlman being a badass, as always) and White Collar (Matt Bomer who played Bryce Larkin in Chuck is the lead).

How is Lost by the way? I missed the beginning and just haven't bothered with it.

I'd go with the Mentalist. It sort of reminds me of Psych for some reason, but much darker. Maybe Burn Notice too? I'm in agreeance with everything Livid said though. Sons of Anarchy is fantastic, White Collar is a really fun show and I've heard really good things about Mad Man, but I've been putting off watching it for some reason that I cannot explain.

Lost was great for the first three series, started to take a turn for the worse halfway through the third, but it started returning to being great in about series 4/5. It'll probably be easier to get into if you watch it all in one go as well. I'd definitely try it, but if by the time Henry Gale is introduced you're still not digging it, then maybe it's just not for you. I love the show myself, but it defintly had a hard time when it started to transition from 'people on a deserted island' to all the more mysterious stuff surrounding the Dharma Initiative and the others, which I think threw a lot of people off. If you can get into the show though, you won't regret it.

I'll probably be Mad Men I try next, just for Alison Brie and Julie McNiven (who was Anna in Supernatural). I've gone through the first episode of Sons of Anarchy, and it was good - but Christ, it is fucking depressing. I usually bulk watch TV shows and I'm not sure I'd make it through S01 of SOA without offing myself halfway through. shifty.gif For shows like that I like to have a more light hearted comedy to watch in between episodes.

edit: @Serj, I may try The Sopranos at some point, but I've heard that the ending is terrible which has put me off it for a while. I'm also kind of tired of cop shows/private i/spy, so I don't know how far I'd get into The Shield.

Watch The Sopranos, it is one of the best shows in TV history and is quite worth it, even if the ending of it is a bit disappointing.

And Sons of Anarchy gets less depressing and more badass as it progresses.

Just finished the first season of Leverage. I'm a fan of heist movies and this follows in its tradition. Although I like Hustle better, this is some good stuff. Also caught up to present on Gossip Girl. Really feels like an east coast version of the O.C., which I love. Unlike most shows, most of the characters exist in a grey area, which is interesting because of the sheer number of things that you can do with them. Chuck and Dan are the best characters though by far.

I'd call The Mentalist "like Psych", "but much more shitty and unsatisfying".

It's like if you took Psych and stripped all of the fun out of it.

• Like 1

Better Off Ted is awesome and I will miss it once it is officially canceled, which somehow hasn't happened yet unless I missed it.

Latest episode of Community wasn't as good as last weeks. sad.gif It fell into the trap that a lot of comedy shows like this do, which is that it tried to focus on too many characters in the short amount of time the episode has. Usually there's one main story and a smaller side story, with certain characters taking a back seat in the episodes, but this time they tried to give everyone some equal time and it just didn't work. Though I did enjoy the bit at the end about Glee. 'We used to watch everything she wanted too. I don't even like Glee! I don't see the appeal!' tongue.gif

Also what the hell with the break up between Jeff & Teacher Lady? No explanation at all? That's a bit lame? I mean, I know it's not a serious drama or anything, but still, I expect some kind of reason. I'm also sad because there's only 1 episode left after this (to my knowledge), then we have to wait ages for a new series. I enjoy community far too much to wait for it!

Skins has been a bit rubbish this season, tended to be a good episode follwoed up by a bad one, I loved last weeks though, especially with the eukele orchestra, but lasts nights was wow... the music was awesome, the camera work sublime Kaya Scodelario was awesome last night and the end gave me chills... and then to top it off the play Nick Cave over the end... fuck me.

On a lighter note I am happy 30 Rock is back

Yes, just got back from Venezuela, and been watching Season 1 of 30 Rock on Demand, it's good shit, Tracy's one of my favorite actors and well Alec Baldwin is Alec Baldwin, show's pure genius.

Latest episode of Community wasn't as good as last weeks. sad.gif It fell into the trap that a lot of comedy shows like this do, which is that it tried to focus on too many characters in the short amount of time the episode has. Usually there's one main story and a smaller side story, with certain characters taking a back seat in the episodes, but this time they tried to give everyone some equal time and it just didn't work. Though I did enjoy the bit at the end about Glee. 'We used to watch everything she wanted too. I don't even like Glee! I don't see the appeal!' tongue.gif

Also what the hell with the break up between Jeff & Teacher Lady? No explanation at all? That's a bit lame? I mean, I know it's not a serious drama or anything, but still, I expect some kind of reason. I'm also sad because there's only 1 episode left after this (to my knowledge), then we have to wait ages for a new series. I enjoy community far too much to wait for it!

No, it has a full 22 episode season (and it's been renewed for full second season as well), IMDb just hasn't updated the schedule. And yeah, I didn't like the breakup as it was a bit rushed but it was probably a way to begin the Jeff/Britta relationship.

Other than that, I thought the show was pretty good and the Glee line was the best.

I just finished season one of Psych and so far its been great; really liking it so far.

IT DOES!? w00t.gif Awesome, that's another 4 episodes to enjoy. As for Psych, it's a great show, but it really starts to pick up in Season 3, with the finale being one of the best episodes of the series. (An Evening with Mr. Yang)

Modern Family is great too, a bit with the same humor too (Y) Yeah the Jeff/Teacher break-up was a bit random, it seemed to happen just so Jeff could hook up with Pierce's stepdaughter and create some awkward tension. Perhaps they are holding out for a big season finale with Jeff and Annie finally hooking up.

Skins hasn't been anywhere near as good as the first two seasons, but it's still enjoyable. I'm about to pick up Alias Season 3 to continue with Alias, which I love.

Watched the first four episodes of Gavin & Stacy. I'd never seen it before, but obviously heard everyone rave about it. It's pretty damn awesome, for sure (Y)

Skins has been a bit rubbish this season, tended to be a good episode follwoed up by a bad one, I loved last weeks though, especially with the eukele orchestra, but lasts nights was wow... the music was awesome, the camera work sublime Kaya Scodelario was awesome last night and the end gave me chills... and then to top it off the play Nick Cave over the end... fuck me.

I have enjoyed every series of Skins, but definitely think that the second series with the first bunch was done better than the second series with this cast. With one episode left to go of the series, I'd probably say that my order of favourites would be;

Series 2

Series 1

Series 3

Series 4

I will probably end up putting this series ahead of the last series if this one ends very strong. As good Series 3 was, the last episode was rather shit I thought and it should've definitely ended with the Naomi/Emily stuff we got in the penultimate episode.