General Television Thread

Hellfire

I loved the first two series of Skins, even if the second one was a bit too strange at times considering what the show had previously been, and even if Chris' death storyline was pretty shoddy writing, but I couldn't for the life of me get into series three. I watch a couple of episodes and just didn't warm up to it at all. I was all for the decision to carry the series on with different characters but they were nowhere near as well written as the first bunch. I don't even know if there was one likable one out of the whole bunch. They seemed to swtich from having one dislikable character in the first one to having a whole cast of twats.

I saw the Treme trailer earlier today but the Boardwalk Empire one was a nice suprise. Both shows look really, really good and I'm excited to check them out. It's nice to see more actors from The Wire on other shows too.

Speaking of new HBO shows, this should definitely be worth checking out next year:

Game of Thrones

If the transfer to the small screen even comes close to the quality of the books (I've read all of them), I can near guarantee that this will be worth keeping an eye on. The preliminary cast is pretty impressive, the writers are staying faithful (so far) to the source material and HBO appear willing to throw money at it (the series has been given $4.5million an episode, according to estimates). Along with Boardwalk and Treme, it'll be quite the trio. I just hope we get at least a couple of them here in the UK. wacko.gif

Edited by badotori

So did anybody else check out the premiere of Justified? I thought it was a bit slow but was interesting enough for a pilot that I'll check it out again. Olyphant was pretty badass though.

Anyone watched The Pacific? Is nice :w00t:

Its only my list of things to do today... will get back to you.

I am expecting great things from it though as Band of Brothers was one of the best things I have ever seen on tv.

So did anybody else check out the premiere of Justified? I thought it was a bit slow but was interesting enough for a pilot that I'll check it out again. Olyphant was pretty badass though.

Saw it, was largely unimpressed. Just too fuckin' unrealistic, to be honest.

Have you seen any FX show ever?

Not to mention that it's a modern day western, there was bound to be some things that stretch reality a bit but I didn't really see anything in the show that was so unrealistic that I'd be upset about it.

Walton Goggins was awesome on The Shield, but he really stepped it up that first episode, if he keeps it at that level, this show is going to be great.

I missed it, thinking I'd be able to catch it online today. Unfortunately I can't find it in the usual places, which means I'm going to have to wait a couple days. Not happy about that at all.

Saw it, was largely unimpressed. Just too fuckin' unrealistic, to be honest.

Have you seen any FX show ever?

*Justified spoiler warning, I guess*

Justified lacks the interesting characters, dialogue or storylines at this point to overcome a fucking rocket launcher and a fucking hick-v-cops shootout whose entire purpose is to distract the sheriffs so that Olyphant can go and get shot by Shane Vendrell. That's just fucking stupid and, if the neo nazis are resourceful enough to land rocket launchers, surely the feds of ATF or anybody else other than the fucking Sheriff's would be involved by now?

It's just a shit show, really. And this is coming from somebody who loved The Shield, and who can't wait for Sons to return. I'm pretty sure I'm going to watch it once or twice more, but I'm just largely unimpressed at this point.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Hmm, here a thought the US Marshals were the feds.

So you're telling me the federal government's response to RPG-wielding neo nazis is a potentially disgraced, on the verge of a major shitstorm marshall? Awesome.

Regardless, the "unrealism" complaint is only secondary. I can accept a show being unrealistic - like I said, Sons of Anarchy is one of my favorite shows - but Justified just lacks the characters/stories at this point for me to care much, and lacks any genuinely good writing for me to ever care at all. And no, Olyphant and Vendrell mumbling at each other about some utterly useless, hackneyed shit isn't really good writing.

Edited by Mysterio2000X