General Television Thread

Hellfire

Jesus Mysterio, I haven't even seen the show but how about giving it more than 1 episode before condemning it as god awful. tongue.gif

Haha, you're right, and I am going to try to catch a couple other eps. I was just actually really looking forward to the show, and it was such a disappointment, in my opinion.

Jesus Mysterio, I haven't even seen the show but how about giving it more than 1 episode before condemning it as god awful. tongue.gif

Haha, you're right, and I am going to try to catch a couple other eps. I was just actually really looking forward to the show, and it was such a disappointment, in my opinion.

I can't say I fault you too much, I've condemned shows from only seeing one bit for much worse. I loathed scrubs until I found myself without a PC for a full week one summer, which resulted in me catching a few episodes. I then fell in love with it. I also thought Leverage was awful when I first watched, but I'm fairly certain it's one of my favourite TV shows ever now I've seen more of it.

There was also Dollhouse after a few episodes... but yeah, let's not get into that. (Yeah, I know, it got better later... but honestly, I don't feel like trying to make my way through the crap to get to the good, despite the Summer Glau, Alexis Denisof & Ray Wise cameos.)

Speaking of Leverage, can anyone recommend any shows like it? I really want a show that's fun, funny and full of action that I can just sit down and watch in bulks, but everything I've got left that I've been told to watch is all fairly serious stuff. I've found out that there were about 4 more episodes of Better Off Ted than I thought there were, but I need something to try and get into after that. (Well, I'm also working my way through Burn Notice too, but much as I love it, I'd like something to watch alongside it.)

Are you a Supernatural fan?

There's a big, overarching storyline and mythology that connects it all, but there are also enough monster-of-the-week-esque episodes that you could just plop down and start watching without much trouble. I did, at least. I didn't get into it until just late last year, but TNT has been replaying all of the episodes from the beginning of the series and I've just gotten caught up through that (they're up to the third season right now, which from I gather is more monster-of-the-week type episodes than any other season up 'til this point).

But yeah, check out Supernatural if you're a fan. It's fuckin' awesome, and while it's not a comedy show by any means, it also does not take itself too seriously whatsoever.

Bastarding bastards, missed it, any clue when the repeat is?

Just go to ninjavideo . net and look up The Pacific, great quality/fast stream ^_^

Finally some shows are coming back, yay! South Park is now back, Flash Forward will be back tonight I think, so I'll see it tomorrow. Shame True Blood is taking so long -_-

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Just go to ninjavideo . net and look up The Pacific, great quality/fast stream ^_^

Finally some shows are coming back, yay! South Park is now back, Flash Forward will be back tonight I think, so I'll see it tomorrow. Shame True Blood is taking so long -_-

True Blood seems like it's been off air for fucking years I swear. Out of all the brilliant programmes, that's the one that's got me anticipating it's return the most. Just cannot wait.

Cant stand the breaks they have in the US. It seems like a programme returns for two weeks, then has another break. Thankfully Supernatural is back (this week or next week I think it is) and Flashforward. Add that to the already stacked Lost, 90210 and American Idol and things are finally looking good again.

Are you a Supernatural fan?

There's a big, overarching storyline and mythology that connects it all, but there are also enough monster-of-the-week-esque episodes that you could just plop down and start watching without much trouble. I did, at least. I didn't get into it until just late last year, but TNT has been replaying all of the episodes from the beginning of the series and I've just gotten caught up through that (they're up to the third season right now, which from I gather is more monster-of-the-week type episodes than any other season up 'til this point).

But yeah, check out Supernatural if you're a fan. It's fuckin' awesome, and while it's not a comedy show by any means, it also does not take itself too seriously whatsoever.

I've actually been pimping Supernatural in either this topic or the one Keith started for months. tongue.gif I own it all on DVD.

I don't know what "Sober House with Dr. Drew" is, but in less than 30 seconds they've introduced Tom Sizemore, Heidi Fleiss, Penny Flame and Dennis Rodman.

I'm not 100% sure yet, but this may just be the best fucking reality TV show on VH1 ever. And that's saying a lot.

True Blood seems like it's been off air for fucking years I swear. Out of all the brilliant programmes, that's the one that's got me anticipating it's return the most. Just cannot wait.

Cant stand the breaks they have in the US. It seems like a programme returns for two weeks, then has another break. Thankfully Supernatural is back (this week or next week I think it is) and Flashforward. Add that to the already stacked Lost, 90210 and American Idol and things are finally looking good again.

I think you mean Sons of Anarchy.

That show kicks ass.

It'd be a continuation of Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew.

Yeah, I figured as much. Never watched that, or any of the other "rehab" shows on VH1. Needs more drama, fist fights or titties, IMO. Jersey Shore has set the bar too high.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Eh, maybe I'm missing something with SOA, but it just doesn't thrill me like it does everyone else. I enjoyed what I've seen okay, but nothing too amazing I thought. I echo the True Blood love, I really cannot wait for that show to return. I swear, you could give me that cast and just have them sit and talk about foreign exchange rates for an hour per episode, I'd still love it to bits.

I just finished Burn Notice Series 2. I did not get the ending.

So... what, Michael finally meets the guys that caused this hell in his life, but the end results is he just says 'leave me alone'? Why isn't he trying to learn why he was blacklisted? Why isn't he trying to kill them for fucking with him? Why doesn't he want to know the reason behind all of the stuff that's happened? I don't get it. Maybe I'm just missing something, but Jesus, what the hell?

On Burn Notice...

I'm pretty sure it's because of what had been building up that whole episode with the story of Victor and how he got burned. Plus, he was never a fan of how Carla and Management ran things so it was a chance at a clean break because he didn't want to work for them to begin with and it had become apparent that they weren't nice people (not to say that it was implied that they were to begin with). All in all, I think it was just the fact that it could've been his only chance to get out of working for them so he took it.

I just finished the rest of Psych and wow, I should've watched it awhile ago because it's awesome.

That said though, I now need a new show to watch. Anybody have any suggestions?

I totally forgot this board had awesome spoilers tag.

Anyways, I'm trying to not get ahead of myself in my Supernatural viewings just so I don't ruin the fun or anything, but I have a general idea of how the main story goes from where I'm at (the Pagan God/Christmas episode from season 3) to where they're at right now. Anyways, I caught the Valentine's day episode today, and... wow. This is probably the closest I'll ever come to seeing a Good Omens live adaptation, and it's fucking awesome. I didn't think I could be into this show anymore, but yeah. I was wrong.

If Supernatural had a penis, I would gladly suck it.

EDIT -

The first season of SOA was very boring and tedious, for the most part. The only reason I kept up with it, I imagine, was because I was craving a good ole' crime show after The Wire, The Shield and The Sopranos all ended. However, it served it's purpose (setting up the character, setting up the dynamics of the characters, etc.). The second season, however, is off the walls awesome. It's more like The Shield than The Wire/Sopranos (which makes sense), but that's not a slight against the show or anything. At one point, I thought it had reached Shield season 5/6 awesomness midway through the 2nd season of SOA, and I can't wait for it to return.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

The season finale of season 2 of SOA is ridiculously badass that I still go back and watch it sometimes.

Word.

I think the season's awesomenes kind of topped out at

the prison episode - that fight scene was just that awful

but the season finale was great. I haven't seen it since it first aired, and I doubt I will (watching it'll only make me want the 3rd season to get here already even more), but it was definitely greatness.

Does anybody here watch Fringe? I'm not heavy into it, or anything (I can't stand JJ Abrams or his work, for whatever reason), and I've only caught a handful of episodes here or there, but it's pretty cool and intriguing. My DVR recorded the ep where

The Observer kidnapped a girl, called "August"

and I'm going to go ahead and watch it now. Bullet catching ftw, btw.

Fringe is okay, the first season is a little lame but it picks up near the end of the season and the next season is, imo, a whole lot better than the first.

SOA Season 2 ending spoiler:

I'm just amazed that I actually felt bad for AJ Weston when he got executed. Just, the way he got executed - in that bathroom stall, after requesting his kid not see it and telling him to run away and never tell anyone what happened. I actually felt bad for him.

I've only caught a handful of season 2 episodes, I think. The "finale" (or whatever they call it) pretty much sold me on the show, though. Fusing people together into grotesque abominations? Fuck yeah, I'm game.

SOA spoilers.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. Weston's a scum-of-the-Earth douchebag, but even he has his morals and family. I liked him telling his son "not to tell the cops", or whatever he said the most. Even facing death, Weston stuck to his (fucked up) morals/ethics. There's something admirable about that, on some level.

That entire episode was badass, though. I'm a big fan of the fact that they actually let Zobelle not only live, but apparently get away with it, when the easy choice (and the choice I'm sure we were all hoping for/expecting) would be for Zobelle to get his shit fucked up, either by the Sons themselves or by the cops. His eventual re-appearance'll make for some great TV, I'm sure. The actual ending itself (the IRA guy making off with the kid) was equal parts heart breaking and great TV, as well.

EDIT -

So, wait. Let me get something straight about Fringe. The Observer is capable of bending time and space itself, apparently. They also have the resources to come up with whatever awesome, mind-fucking technology the plot conveniently needs at any given time. Yet, they haven't figured out some way of cloaking themselves from appearing in pictures?

Awesome. Good to know they're the ones jumping around in our space-time continuum like nobody's business.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Fringe is pretty great, if only for Walter. I enjoyed the first series but it wasn't something that kept me coming back for more. Though I imagine I might end up going back to it now I'm running low on shows again. And Mysterio, I know I'm just defending it with a weak defence here, but if I had to wager I'd say The Observer probably just doesn't care about being spotted. I mean, a lot of the stuff he needs to happen, happens because he gets spotted. Wouldn't surprise me if they wanted people to know they were there.

Also, Mysterio, you are in for a treat with this series. Series 3 of Supernatural is quite possibly my favourite, if for nothing other than it has the best Carry On My Wayward Son clip show of all the series. Man. Wait until you get to Series 4 though. The action is a bit broken up at times and the finale is a little too obvious for my tastes, but the new additions to the story are just... awesome.

Livid, I don't know what shows you've already watched, but some I don't think get enough love are Bones (Starring David Boreanaz! w00t.gif), Lie To Me (Starring Tim Roth! w00t.gif), Castle (Starring Nathan Fillion! w00t.gif) and since you apparently haven't really checked it out yet, Lost is totally worth the watch, especially if you're going to be bulk watching it. (The series tends to just make more sense when you watch it that way.)

Yeah I'm already a Bones and Lie to Me Fan. I haven't gotten to Lost yet though. I suppose I might chalk that up as the next show to watch. I tried to watch Castle last season but I believe it was running opposite another show that I was more interested in. I'll have to check it out again though.

Though since I've had the first 2 seasons for awhile, I'm finally checking out The 4400. I've seen it mentioned in comparison (as in better) with Heroes and it seems it's hard for USA to not create a good TV show so there's that too.

Lost is totally worth the watch, especially if you're going to be bulk watching it. (The series tends to just make more sense when you watch it that way.)

I definitely agree with this - I didn't get into Lost until the fourth series started on TV. So, I bought 1-3 on DVD, watched it all within a couple of weeks and it was much easier to understand both the myriad connections between the characters and the underlying mythology that comes with the island. I will warn you though, the first couple of series really only scratch the surface of the general mysterious weirdness that later occurs.

All in all though, there are two main reasons to give Lost a watch:

1) Michael Emerson

2) Josh Holloway

These two actors alone probably account for over half of the awesome moments during the history of the show.

Edited by badotori