General Television Thread

Hellfire

I actually liked Steven from the get-go, which I wasn't expecting to. But at the same time, with these early episodes it's very much a show that I like to watch one or two ten minute episodes of a week instead of binging.

I don't really care or pay attention to fanbases for almost anything, but especially cartoons, so that's whatever.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I won't give a shit about the fans, I just happened to Google something and it came up with some really hateful stuff about fans bullying the shit out of someone for a drawing they thought was "problematic" (eurgh, hate that word), and keeping it up even after the teenage girl had tried to commit suicide. I'll stick with EWB for discussing it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Benji said:

Oh yeah, I won't give a shit about the fans, I just happened to Google something and it came up with some really hateful stuff about fans bullying the shit out of someone for a drawing they thought was "problematic" (eurgh, hate that word), and keeping it up even after the teenage girl had tried to commit suicide. I'll stick with EWB for discussing it.

That should go for any show.

13 hours ago, Benji said:

Binging Homeland S5, this season is really bad. S4 managed to pull things back a lot, but this is trying way too hard to be relevant to the issues of the year instead of telling a decent story. Not a fan.

12 hours ago, Ultra Rare Colly said:

But but but... Max Beesley. :( 

I found series 5 to be much more enjoyable than 4.

Yay! I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Also! Random thought I had about Steven Universe that includes some things of mid-late season 1 and some season 2

Steven uses a shield.

Connie uses a sword.

Stevonnie will be a badass sword and board warrior.

On 1/18/2016 at 03:08, GoGo Yubari said:

Angie Tribeca might be the most relentless assault of jokes I've seen on a show in ages. There are basically no pauses. Ever.

Currently watching the pilot. This feels like some sort of experiment or a dare.

Netflix Picks Up Futuristic Sci-Fi Series ‘Altered Carbon’ Based on Book

Netflix has picked up a 10-episode series, “Altered Carbon,” based on the 2002 book of the same name, Variety has learned.

The sci-fi series hails from Skydance Television with Laeta Kalogridis writing, exec producing and serving as showrunner. Kalogridis co-wrote the screenplays for Leonardo DiCaprio’s “Shutter Island,” plus “Terminator Genisys” and she’s attached to the sequel for the latter.

Based on Richard K. Morgan’s novel, “Altered Carbon” is set in the 25th century. In the futuristic story, the human mind has been digitized and the soul is transferable from one body to the next. Takeshi Kovacs, a former elite interstellar warrior known as an Envoy who has been imprisoned for 500 years, is downloaded into a future he had tried to stop. If he can solve a single murder in a world where technology has made death nearly obsolete, he’ll get a chance at a new life on Earth.

Along with Kalogridis, Skydance’s David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Marcy Ross will also serve as exec producers.

“Altered Carbon” marks a growing slate of Netflix’s dramatic programming, following the psychological thriller “Gypsy.” However, exemplifying the company’s diverse content, Norman Lear’s “One Day At A Time” recently landed a modernized, Latino-twisted reboot at Netflix, which also just ordered a comedy centering around YouTube character Miranda Sings.

The straight-to-series order for “Altered Carbon” gives weight to Netflix boss Ted Sarandos’ recent statements, regarding the streaming giant’s spending plan for this year — at the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, Calif. this past weekend, Sarandos said that Netflix would spend about $6 billion on content this year, encompassing original series and movies and acquisitions.

No launch date for “Altered Carbon” has been set.

Sounds cool.

Four episodes into Narcos and it's so far lived up to the hype. I think I kind of like the way they gloss over what could be huge moments in the story in favour of how these events impact our main characters, although I also suspect this is somewhat down to budgetary constraints that would stop them doing huge set pieces for moments that don't include the main characters. The use of news footage is a nice touch, but even with all the gloss and excess, the standout thing about the show is just how good the three main actors are, especially Escobar. 

Idiotsitter's pretty good so far. There's only been two episodes, but Jillian Bell's killed it so far. The whole cast is great, though, what with Stephen Root playing a distant, rich father to Jillian Bell's womanchild Gene, and the chemistry between Bell and Charlotte Newhouse is great. 

• Like 1