General Television Thread

Hellfire

14 hours ago, RPS said:

American Crime Story is fantastic trashy TV. Travolta is great. 

This.  The OJ story is really perfect for this treatment, no idea if Season 2 will work out anywhere near as well.

Bring Travolta back and let him chew up the scenery in an equally flamboyant and over the top fashion. The dude is having the time of his life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Benkid Nada said:

Anyone seen 11.22.63? Reviews seem to be average to good, and I'm really interested in it.

Perfectly acceptable, if unexciting. I may be biased because I loved the book, which had a pretty large focus on the life of a time traveler in the 60s that the show seems to have given up on in favor of solely focusing on the whole stopping the JFK assassination thing. Still, not a bad show and James Franco is great in it.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RPS said:

Bring Travolta back and let him chew up the scenery in an equally flamboyant and over the top fashion. The dude is having the time of his life. 

Kind of hard to make it so over the top when it's about a more somber subject matter in Hurricane Katrina. I'm not even sure how they're going to do it, since it isn't even really a crime story.

First episode of the Night Manager was good, but nothing amazing or anything. They did pick some fucking beautiful places to film, though.

28 minutes ago, Benkid Nada said:

Kind of hard to make it so over the top when it's about a more somber subject matter in Hurricane Katrina. I'm not even sure how they're going to do it, since it isn't even really a crime story.

Come on, Ben. Critical thinking here. The show is called "American Crime Story". It won't be ABOUT Hurricane Katrina, but rather *random FEMA Google Search* http://mostcorrupt.com/Agencies--FEMA.htm

Yeah, American Crime Story is actually great. Glad I broke my No Ryan Murphy Shows Ever rule for that since he's only directing. Courtney B. Vance is the shit as Johnnie Cochran, and I appreciate the shades of gray at play on all sides in terms of perception of OJ/the case.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Yeah, American Crime Story is actually great. Glad I broke my No Ryan Murphy Shows Ever rule for that since he's only directing. Courtney B. Vance is the shit as Johnnie Cochran, and I appreciate the shades of gray at play on all sides in terms of perception of OJ/the case.

The thing that people criticize the most seems to be John Travolta as Robert Shapiro. And while I can see why people would be annoyed by him I think the criticisms are blown way out of proportion. Yes, he is over the top with his line readings but people make it sound like he is Tommy-Wiseau-bad.

Nah, the biggest criticism I've seen are the scenes featuring the Kardashian kids, but even though I guess society is completely saturated with them (I'm not, but I'm a hermit) they're pretty clearly tied in to the season's theme of celebrity and fame, both re: OJ and the people whose stars rose during the trial.

But yeah, Travolta's second-biggest. But I thought he was really good in episode 3 and I hope that continues.

• Like 1

I think he has been great the whole series. He is playing Robert Shapiro WAY over the top (like almost like a drag queen acting like Robert Shapiro). I don't know why Travolta is playing him so effeminate, because Shapiro was not at all. 

I don't think accuracy in terms of delivery is what the show is going for... hence why Cuba is playing OJ. The first episode all I could think of was "man, OJ doesn't sound like that at all!" But Cuba is a good actor and the performance is great, so I am buying it. If anything, the over the top portrayals of these people make it more entertaining. 

• Like 1

On 22 February 2016 at 01:59, Lineker said:

Night Manager any good then?

22 hours ago, Steeb said:

Night Manager is amazing. Great cast, and really captivating. Definitely worth a catch up. This first ep seems to be there more to set everything else up than anything else, but even in that plenty happens.

It has a nice slow-burn pace for the first episode, and it's the strength of the cast that has me hooked -- it's crazy that Hiddleston, Laurie and Colman are the three leads, and there's really strong supporting actors as well. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RPS said:

I think he has been great the whole series. He is playing Robert Shapiro WAY over the top (like almost like a drag queen acting like Robert Shapiro). I don't know why Travolta is playing him so effeminate, because Shapiro was not at all. 

I don't think accuracy in terms of delivery is what the show is going for... hence why Cuba is playing OJ. The first episode all I could think of was "man, OJ doesn't sound like that at all!" But Cuba is a good actor and the performance is great, so I am buying it. If anything, the over the top portrayals of these people make it more entertaining. 

This is the most perfect way to describe how Travolta is portraying him.

So, the X-Files miniseries. I'm not watching it - never cared for the X-Files, sorry - but I have to ask, since I happened to read a review of the finale.

Spoiler

Did the miniseries with an unknown return date end on a cliffhanger?