General Television Thread

Hellfire

Dropping RAW has made me look at a how much time I spend on other shows I don't care for.

For the first time ever I only have two shows on my Sky box to catch up on - one is a full series watch of Malcolm In The Middle and the other is the yet to watch Night Manager.

All my currently airing shows I'm up to date on. It is bizarre having so little on there.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MDK said:

Another series of The Night Manager has pretty much been ruled out. And I'm fine with that. No need to stretch out a book that they've already got to the end of.

Counterpoint to that is that I finally watched the first episode and after seeing Russell Tovey thinking 'I wonder when Banished is back on'. Ruddy cancelled. Stupid BBC.

15 hours ago, Noah said:

Look up Sylvain Cloux on Youtube. He does metal style covers of classic tv themes, too. And I used his version of the original Knight Rider theme as my intro music when I DJ'd.

• Like 1

Conan Korea was pretty enjoyable. Bit weird to see Conan at an internet cafe playing Starcraft. The segment at the beginning where he's learning Korean is absolutely great though, he and his Korean teacher had great chemistry.

On 4/10/2016 at 07:52, Benji said:

Dropping RAW has made me look at a how much time I spend on other shows I don't care for.

For the first time ever I only have two shows on my Sky box to catch up on - one is a full series watch of Malcolm In The Middle and the other is the yet to watch Night Manager.

All my currently airing shows I'm up to date on. It is bizarre having so little on there.

I'm almost relieved now when a show gets so bad that I'm willing to drop it entirely. When I decided to cut bait on Walking Dead I was like "but maybe I'll keep giving Fear the Walking Dead a shot," but then I saw the advance reviews and never set up a new DVR subscription. It's awesome.

• Like 2

Just now, Benji said:

It is absolutely his eyes. They are too big  and deep for his face.

Oh good, I thought I was being weird again. It looks like he has eyeliner on or is an anime character or something.

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee is so wonderful and it makes me sad that she didn't get the job of hosting The Daily Show.  Also, all the episodes get uploaded to YouTube as playlists on their official channel.  The first couple are really poorly uploaded in these little clips, but after the first few they upload them as full segments.  Last night had one of my favorite stories she's done.

• Like 2

I definitely wanted her for TDS, but I'm also kind of glad that she's just doing the TBS show. I think with the general oversaturation of available outlets for stuff like this, once a week is enough.

Meanwhile, I miss getting this sort of thing on a daily basis because, as much as I think Trevor Noah is alright in other stuff I've seen him in, I don't care for him as the host of TDS and therefore I've just stopped watching it.  And with Colbert being an actual late night host now, as far as I know there's just this and Last Week Tonight in terms of satirical looks at the news.  Weekend Update too, I guess?

35 minutes ago, LittleDaniel said:

Meanwhile, I miss getting this sort of thing on a daily basis because, as much as I think Trevor Noah is alright in other stuff I've seen him in, I don't care for him as the host of TDS and therefore I've just stopped watching it.  And with Colbert being an actual late night host now, as far as I know there's just this and Last Week Tonight in terms of satirical looks at the news.  Weekend Update too, I guess?

Colbert still does desk pieces that are pretty much Colbert Report monologues except without the character. Seth Meyers does similar. Then you've got Noah and Wilmore on Comedy Central and Last Week Tonight too, so that's a fair amount. And I was under the impression that Jon Stewart was going to do short pieces for HBO this year, though none of those have surfaced yet and I guess we don't know what format they'll take.

When I went to a Daily Show taping the other month, it was a little telling because the stuff before the episode where Noah was just riffing on audience questions was great, and then the material on the show itself was typically uneven (though we did get a Kristen Schaal appearance, so I consider myself lucky). The writers just haven't got it figured out at all.

• Like 1

I think a lot of the writers stayed on, but maybe they're getting phased out over time. The first month was pretty much just the same as Jon Stewart's Daily Show, just written for a slightly different voice. After that they started experimenting with stuff and it became wildly uneven.