Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hellfire

General Television Thread

Recommended Posts

Did anyone watch else Sex Education on Netflix? I'd highly recommend if not. Interesting setting whereby it's an English sixth form with some odd American aesthetics (which some reviews whinge about but I thought was a nice design choice), some good drama, nice funny bits and also boobies. Great little easy watch that we binged in about a week, something we've not really done since the last Stranger Things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone see this Russian Doll thing that's popped up on Netflix? Says it was created by Amy pohler, which is a good start

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, K said:

Anyone see this Russian Doll thing that's popped up on Netflix? Says it was created by Amy pohler, which is a good start

Yeah critics have been touting it as really good for a couple of weeks now which surprised me since the trailer didn't do much for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished watching Parks and Rec again and I miss Ron Swanson already :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Making It is really fun! Great thing to pop on while you're having lunch or dinner.

I'm almost done with my rewatch of Parks and Rec, too. Drawing it out because I don't want it to end. The Johnny Karate episode almost had me in tears again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/01/2019 at 23:06, Colly said:

Did anyone watch else Sex Education on Netflix? I'd highly recommend if not. Interesting setting whereby it's an English sixth form with some odd American aesthetics (which some reviews whinge about but I thought was a nice design choice), some good drama, nice funny bits and also boobies. Great little easy watch that we binged in about a week, something we've not really done since the last Stranger Things. 

Sex Education rocks. I was saying how refreshing it is that there's no antagonist, it just basically explores how difficult that time in your life can be, and how people can do good and bad things. Like every character has a stage where they do something bad, and it works perfectly because they feel more real. It's also just got a really nice tone to the whole thing - I thought it was great. Someone I know directed the last 4 eps as well, so it's great to see it going so well. Season 2 just confirmed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started watching Party Down. I've been meaning to watch it for a while so I'm glad I got round to it. It's good!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Busy watching Tin Star. I dunno if I like it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing an Arrested Development watchthrough for the first time, when I get to season 4 do I watch the original release, or the remix, or both? Kerazy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm doing an Arrested Development watchthrough for the first time, when I get to season 4 do I watch the original release, or the remix, or both? Kerazy. 

So, just in case you don't know the big format difference; the original release had fewer-but-longer episodes with a heavy focus on one Bluth per episode (which isn't to say that other ones don't appear, just that they're usually in it fairly briefly), with little in the way of the whole family being together as basically a concession to the reality that by that point in time nearly everyone in that cast was extremely busy. It also plays a ton with showing things out of chronological order, so there's stuff that only makes sense once you get to, say, Maeby's episode and see the way it intersects with earlier episodes. The remix has more episodes at a shorter runtime and is basically recut so everything is in chronological order and there's more of a balance in terms of character representation.

The remix is probably an easier watch but for me, the original is better. The remix basically needs a ton of heavy lifting from Ron Howard's narration and I think some of the jokes don't work as well when put in chronological order. However, I know the original is fairly divisive and the way they order the episodes doesn't do it a ton of favors because there's a lot of focus early on on Bluths who... don't entirely work as solo acts (especially George Sr., who has like two episodes in the first half of the season whereas the first GOB episode is at something like the halfway point).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked the original cut better but yeah, holy shit is the beginning of the season a drag thanks to the format.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2019 at 17:14, K said:

Anyone see this Russian Doll thing that's popped up on Netflix? Says it was created by Amy pohler, which is a good start

It's not must see TV by any means and certainly not very "Parks and Rec" if that is what you are hoping for, but there's worse ways to spend three hours. It's got an interesting spin on Groundhog Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/02/2019 at 11:05, Jimmy said:

Sex Education rocks. I was saying how refreshing it is that there's no antagonist, it just basically explores how difficult that time in your life can be, and how people can do good and bad things. Like every character has a stage where they do something bad, and it works perfectly because they feel more real. It's also just got a really nice tone to the whole thing - I thought it was great. Someone I know directed the last 4 eps as well, so it's great to see it going so well. Season 2 just confirmed. 

Now I'm sort of connected to it too, though I'm incredibly jealous of our social marketing lot. :(

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone watch America's Got talent the champions? 

Because w00f this season is tough to watch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished the Shield again. That final episode leaves me like feeling empty. Such an great episode. Anyway, what should I watch now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else checked out Channel Zero? Were just finishing up the second season now, and as a horror fan, I'm quite enjoying it. Shudder has the first two seasons up in Canada, and first three in the States.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am up to episode 5 of Homecoming.

Anyone else watch this? Its intriguing but I get the feeling the big reveal will be hugely disappointing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Binged all of Russian Doll today and really enjoyed it.

It's a nice blend of mind-bending mystery and humour. Reminds me a little of Twin Peaks in that regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the first 2.5 seasons of Scrubs in the summer and finally got back to it. It's also good show. Glad I'm finally getting round to watching shows that I've been meeting to for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Owen said:

Watched the first 2.5 seasons of Scrubs in the summer and finally got back to it. It's also good show. Glad I'm finally getting round to watching shows that I've been meeting to for a while.

Dont ruin your appreciation of Scrubs by watching the last season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the first two episodes of Russian Doll and I'm extremely excited at the prominent featuring of Harry Nilsson's best song.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Watched the first two episodes of Russian Doll and I'm extremely excited at the prominent featuring of Harry Nilsson's best song.

It didn't click for me until episode 3, now I'm enjoying it a lot more. I think there's definitely a required amount of trust that something is actually going to happen / it becomes a little more apparent about what the show is doing differently to other films of a similar nature. Natasha Lyonne is so great, though. I think it might've just been her that really kept me invested in the few two eps, she's such a presence on screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. To learn more, see our Privacy Policy