Sign in to follow this  
Hellfire

General Television Thread

If America must have insisted on their own version of Red Dwarf at the start of the 90's, they should have gone for David Hyde Pierce as Rimmer.

• Like 1

Binged the first four episodes of The Boys and found myself pleasantly surprised by how fun it is. I read a bunch of the comics as a kid and it's translating really well to screen, especially with its modern setting lending itself to criticism of celebrity culture and social media. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy said:

Binged the first four episodes of The Boys and found myself pleasantly surprised by how fun it is. I read a bunch of the comics as a kid and it's translating really well to screen, especially with its modern setting lending itself to criticism of celebrity culture and social media. 

I'm not familiar with the source material but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it loses a bit of steam at the end but that may just me wishing it was a little longer. Which is a rarity with shows these days. 

Russi Taylor passed away. You might know her as Martin Prince, or the voice of Minnie Mouse since 1986.

Euphoria is quite good television.

• Like 1

Started watching The Rookie this afternoon. I do like police/crime shows, and this one is pretty decent. Seen adverts for FBI on Sky Witness, might give that a crack too.

• Like 1

I'm digging Good Omens. Cute show. Jon Hamm is hilarious as Gabriel.

• Like 4

Finally we got a good episode of the Handmaid's Tale. This was the first one where I wanted to instantly see the next episode. The rest of the season has been garbage.

• Like 1

DA DAAAAAWG

• Like 3

da wishes are BAD

• Like 2

Half way through Orange is the New Black S7 and it's having a really strong final season, in my opinion. Lots of good development for all the characters. I wasn't too fussed on S6 but it's such an improvement now they've moved on from all the side characters I hated.

Also it sucks major balls that fucking Big Mouth got 3 more seasons but they cancelled Santa Clarita Diet. I feel personally slighted.

Yeah, Big Mouth getting three more seasons is well deserved. It's also probably one of the cheaper Netflix originals for them to make in comparison to the viewing numbers it receives.

I loved Santa Clarita Diet, and it absolutely still stings that it got cancelled... but there are a lot of other things they could have done to keep it running, as opposed to cancelling other shows that are doing well. For instance, it completely boggles my mind how much international content gets brought to Netflix Canada every month, when you compare it to how much North American content gets added. Are the viewing numbers for all of those Bollywood or Japanese movies they've added worth spending that money when it could have been used on something else, like extending the life of a Netflix Original series, even if only for one more season to wrap things up?

I feel like Netflix as a company is in a weird place right now, where they're really trying to push original content, but they aren't REALLY trying to push it, you know? They spend a lot of money on a lot of things that aren't bringing new customers to the service, while allowing content that they own to just fizzle out with alarming regularity. The content they own is what they should be earmarking most of their new content funds to, if their end goal is to entice people to sign up or binge-watch that content.

How often they've cancelled an original show without allowing the creators/writers to actually bring it to an end is ridiculous. I mean, why not even just give them a smaller budget to wrap it up and do it with a shortened season or even just a feature length episode? It makes it difficult for my wife and I to invest in the new Netflix Original content, because we're afraid that we're going to get attached/drawn into it, only to have it cancelled suddenly... and I imagine that we can't be the only people like that... so Netflix is essentially now just perpetuating the failure of their own shows by giving people a reason to be hesitant to watch new content, which in turn could lead to the cancellation of said content because not enough people watched it, or watched it within a certain time frame, to make them believe that the financial investments in those shows are worth having additional seasons.

At this point, when we start a new original show, we look for that message that tells us that another season is incoming. If that message isn't there, and we aren't ridiculously hyped to watch it, we'll wait and see what happens.

Big Mouth is fucking wonderful.

21 hours ago, Howdy Cloudy said:

I'm digging Good Omens. Cute show. Jon Hamm is hilarious as Gabriel.

I finished it the other day. I enjoyed it!

So, Disney+ is officially going to be bundled together with Hulu and ESPN+ when it launches. All of that costs $12.99. No word on if Hulu is the ad free version or not, but honestly, that plus Disney+ for that price is well worth it.

I'm not exactly sure how UFC shows work on ESPN+, but either way. That's a great deal.

7 minutes ago, tristy said:

So, Disney+ is officially going to be bundled together with Hulu and ESPN+ when it launches. All of that costs $12.99. No word on if Hulu is the ad free version or not, but honestly, that plus Disney+ for that price is well worth it.

I'm not exactly sure how UFC shows work on ESPN+, but either way. That's a great deal.

• Like 1

So in the past two weeks I've watched every season of Veronica Mars and Marvel's Runaways, started ER and 11/22/63, and watched the first episode of the Beverley Hills 90210 revival.

• I don't know why I never watched Veronica Mars before last week, but I'm glad I live in a time where I can binge everything at once because that cliffhanger for S3 would have been painful, waiting for the movie and eventual S4 yearssss later. Really good show - I hope S5 is going to be a thing. The new season is really sad, but it gives them a chance to completely remake the show if another season happens.
  • I know this isn't the Marvel TV thread, but Runaways is really good too. Not too many thoughts since it's not the right thread, but Julian McMahon remains awesome and none of these kids are likable in large doses. Or the parents. Everyone is horrible, and I guess that's the point.
  • Kinda just watching ER in the background to be honest. 11/22/63 is interesting but it's one of those shows that I have to sit down and actually watch, instead of watch and browse the internet/look at my phone at certain times. But it's good!
  • Never seen the original 90210, have no desire to, but I like how this version is meta and not just "hey let's go back to this world and everyone is older etc". At the end of the episode, the reason they find to reboot the show is pretty funny. Tori Spelling is super self-deprecating, probably the stand out in this episode. They pay tribute to Luke Perry at the end, and of course it's really sad. I think that's the second time they mention him - once at the beginning, and at the end. The way this show is set-up, I wouldn't be surprised if Jungle Boy is in it at some point.
Edited by tristy

Finally got around to season two of GLOW and finished it last night in time for season three. It was wonderful, and I find myself really enamoured with Debbie/Liberty Belle as a character for her complexities. I both want to dislike her and like her because I am programmed to see good guys and bad guys, but instead find her to just be entirely human.

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

ooh Euphoria is proper binge-worthy

hmm I like the show a lot but not sure I'd use the term binge-worthy to describe it!

Currently watching The Boys. So good, but so dark. 

And apparently GLOW season 3 is out, any thoughts?

I enjoyed the first two episode of Wu Assassins but wow, the budget is...low.