General Television Thread

Hellfire

8 hours ago, Benji said:

Can not stand Sarah Lancashire so never bothered with Happy Valley, but my sister likes it which I generally take as an indicator that I probably won't since her idea of good TV is Britain's Got Talent and Mrs Brown's Boys. The premise of Catastrophe never appealed to me at all, it sounded like a lowest common denominator American sitcom that would be cancelled after three seasons of mediocrity.

I quite liked the first episode of National Treasure, but that's only a limited series from what I gather and whilst I liked it, I'm in no rush to finish it compared to other shows. Humans I liked most of the first season until the end and I'm still 50/50 on watching season two in a month or so because I felt that should have been a limited series and ended better, but that's also not a British original anyway.

More than anything I miss British comedy quiz shows. Buzzcocks, Whose Line?, Shooting Stars, They Think It's All Over, QI at it's zenith, HIGNFY when it was biting with its guests rather than just a bunch of jokes at easy targets. The current ones are largely "who can make the quickest nob gag" (including QI, depressingly).

Oh, I really think you should give Happy Valley a go, it's a brilliantly written and wonderfully performed; it creates the kind of characters you feel like you could bump into on the street, and it's really fantastic for portrayal of female characters. Catastrophe is really smart and super likeable, I'd recommend it. I think you've gotta give some of these shows a try, especially if you actively want to enjoy what we're putting out. I can't help you with British quiz shows, but there's definitely some really top stuff being produced. We just don't produce as much of it. Definitely be giving National Treasure a try soon. 

I just watched the season four finale so I am biased from being blown away with how good it was, but yes. First season is a little awkward in places, but it's solid as a series and has paced itself really well, with it getting better every season and the fifth and final lined up to be a really good blow off unless they somehow screw the pooch.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Benji said:

This looks like it could have potential too depending on how the comedy is played:

It's gotten some good early reviews so far. I wouldn't be surprised if the comedy is a lot like it is on her YT channel - it's all derived from the idea that she's a terrible singer obsessed with fame, fortune, and with delusions of grandeur. I don't think it happens as much anymore, but in the early days - before everyone knew Miranda was just a character - she'd get hateful comments and insults and then upload videos reacting to those, as can be seen in the trailer. 

• Like 1

What new shows for this fall are people watching? So far, I'm really liking the Good Place, it's 5 episodes in and every character is fun, different, has a purpose and it's diverse and funny even if it can be a little trope-y at times. But it feels like it knows where it's going, and I'm enjoying the ride right now. Kristen Bell is still adorable as fuck, and she's playing this egocentric person who's slowly turning good really well, but the show stealer is definitely Jameela Jamil, who kills every scene she's in.

I'm also in loveeeeeee with Insecure right now, even though there's only been one episode. It's so far really funny, and feels absolutely lived-in, like we just got dropped into this woman's actual life. I can't wait to see the rest of this season.

Going to watch Westworld sometime tonight, don't want to get left behind on that, as it looks great so far.

This is me just totally judging a show before it even gets up and running but I'm currently watching the Lethal Weapon series and besides a few instances here and there I'm totally not buying into the actor playing Riggs. Like he's a good actor, he's got a charm about him but unlike Gibson who made you believe he actually was a loose cannon who didn't give two shits about himself, I'm not just feeling it from this guy.

Again, its probably just a case of me judging a show before it even gets a chance.

16 hours ago, Gigan Lars said:

Anyone here seen Twin Peaks? Might want to watch that before it comes back next year. 

I enjoy Twin Peaks, however, the show begins to lose its identity after one storyline comes to an end. They kind of got back on the right track at the end of the 2nd season, but some of the storylines leading up to it were pretty shit. 

I think since its coming back on Showtime, and with Lynch directing every episode, its going to be twisted and crazy. I look forward to Twin Peaks having the freedom they have on a network like showtime

19 hours ago, Alex. said:

I enjoy Twin Peaks, however, the show begins to lose its identity after one storyline comes to an end. They kind of got back on the right track at the end of the 2nd season, but some of the storylines leading up to it were pretty shit. 

I think since its coming back on Showtime, and with Lynch directing every episode, its going to be twisted and crazy. I look forward to Twin Peaks having the freedom they have on a network like showtime

Its been ages since I've watched it but I do remember enjoying one season more than the other, but I can't remember what. Also, I either love or hate Lynch, sometimes he is brilliant but sometimes he does some absolute shite.

4 hours ago, MDK said:

Its been ages since I've watched it but I do remember enjoying one season more than the other, but I can't remember what. Also, I either love or hate Lynch, sometimes he is brilliant but sometimes he does some absolute shite.

from what i remember seeing and listening to, lynch really wasnt involved in a lot of season 2 after the original mystery is solved. 

11 hours ago, MDK said:

like what?