General Television Thread

Hellfire

Watching 24: Live Another Day and of course the bad guys are in Hackney, specifcally Dalston :lol: 

4 hours ago, Benji said:

Ask silly questions, get silly answers :/

There were no questions, only silly answers.

The Magic School Bus comeback information:

With computer generated animation and and a top-of-the-line school bus, equipped with robotic and gadgets to accurately reflect modern technology, kids will get to experience science and technology as it relates to their time, Netflix's chief content officer told The New York Times. Ms. Frizzle's hair, however, will remain very much the same — fiery red and curly.

Producer Stu Stone, who also voiced Ralphie in the '90s show, claims that many original cast members have signed onto the project and that we should also expect a few top-secret celebrity cameos scattered throughout the series.

"There are tons of cameos planned. I know that there are big stars who want to be involved in this," he told TMZ. "And there's a whole generation of people who grew up on this series that want to be a part of it now that it's back."

No word yet on when the series will premiere, though it was originally slated for 2016.

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Dirk Gently (the new one on Netflix) is very good. Never read the source material or saw the UK version, so I don't know how faithful they are, but I really like the characters in it.

UK version is much better. I have only seen the first episode of the US version and it was really good but it doesn't compare to the BBC version. 

Bad news, @Ace.

http://deadline.com/2017/01/disney-cancels-girl-meets-world-3rd-season-to-be-shows-last-1201878989/

“Disney Channel will present the series finale of “Girl Meets World” on FRIDAY, JANUARY 20 (6:00 p.m. EST). In the episode, “Girl Meets Goodbye,” the Matthews family contemplates a life-changing decision,” the network said in a statement. “We are proud that for over 70 episodes, Michael Jacobs, April Kelly and the talented creative team, cast and crew entertained viewers with an authentic and heartfelt look at navigating adolescence.”

1 hour ago, Benji said:

Has anyone watched the Netflix Voltron series? I saw someone describe it as almost as good as The Last Airbeds. I had assume it was just a standard kids toon, is it really that good?

Airbeds? 

Degrassi: Next Class season 3 dropped on Netflix today. I'm 6 episodes in and enjoying it (but I never don't enjoy Degrassi, sooo). A lot of it so far has been dealing with the fallout of the season 2 cliffhanger, including one student being comatose and their S/O trying to cope with that as well as regular life, returning to school, guilt, etc. And they introduced a new character who is a Syrian refugee that seems to be obsessed with death! And he's made friends with an accident survivor who is now also obsessed with death! I love this show. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Benji said:

Has anyone watched the Netflix Voltron series? I saw someone describe it as almost as good as The Last Airbeds. I had assume it was just a standard kids toon, is it really that good?

I've never watched the Last Airbender, but yes, it is pretty damn excellent.

Also, I am so happy the Good Place is back in my life! Chidi going "What?" over and over had me in stitches.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Degrassi: Next Class season 3 dropped on Netflix today. I'm 6 episodes in and enjoying it (but I never don't enjoy Degrassi, sooo). A lot of it so far has been dealing with the fallout of the season 2 cliffhanger, including one student being comatose and their S/O trying to cope with that as well as regular life, returning to school, guilt, etc. And they introduced a new character who is a Syrian refugee that seems to be obsessed with death! And he's made friends with an accident survivor who is now also obsessed with death! I love this show. 

I'm going to talk about my thoughts on this season because they're mostly disjointed and positive, and the Degrassi fanblogs and subreddits are super critical of the show, which I think is mad because it's a relatively well-made show aimed at teenagers that doesn't aspire to be much more than a story of the week show with an loose overarching storyline each season. I'm not saying it's mad to be critical of it, but the discourse some fans expect for such a simple show is kind of silly a lot of the times.

Anyway! Degrassi, season 3!

Spoiler

I really liked season 3. I liked that the bus crash tied everything together, and that a lot of episodes focused on crash survivors and how they're coping. I also quite liked the new Syrian characters, especially Rasha - it's too early to make a judgment on Saad since his whole arc seemed to be "is obsessed with death, is accidentally feeding into Maya's depression and suicidal tendencies". Rasha was excellent, though, and her and Zoe make a cute couple. Speaking of Zoe, her mom kicking her out of the house for being gay is brutal, but a reflection of reality all the same. 

Tristan's coma, Miles cheating on him with Lola, Lola's abortion - I really liked all that. It was complex and muddy and relatively true to life. I think Tristan probably would have been a little more pissed at Miles, though, once he found out. Instead he's all "it's chill, I get why you did it". Tristan's never ever had any chill. I don't see why he'd be OK with it now, but after Maya's suicide attempt, something has to be positive, so I can let it slide. :P

Speaking of Maya's suicide attempt: since episode 6 or 7 that's where I thought her storyline was heading, and her spending time with her family, apologizing to people, asking Esme to "take care of Zig for me", all of that: flashing neon signs that may as well say "I AM GOING TO TRY TO KILL MYSELF". I'm glad Esme found her and unlike a lot of fans I don't hate Maya, I just think she's suffered from being in some shit storylines. But now Esme and Maya can bond and hopefully become friends, over shared tragedy. I really hope season 4 fleshes Esme out as a character, because right now she's a thinly sketched antagonist whose primary purpose has been to lead other characters astray and be a Generic Mean Girl. 

If there's one thing I really like about Degrassi, it's the show's capacity to introduce 1-dimensional characters as easy-to-hate antagonists, only to, in the seasons after being introduced, flesh them out and make them more real. They always introduce someone as an antagonist and I hate them and then a season or two later I'm like "shit, I like this character, I like how flawed they are, I like that they're making me feel so guilty for hating them because I didn't know what they'd gone through". 

And finally, Goldi is adorable and I hope in the coming seasons she gets more screen time. Right now she's a perfectly boring character, defined by her religion and her hijab (despite the show's attempts to change that). 

EDIT: OH AND ALSO, Chloe Rose coming back as Katie Matlin for the final 2 episodes was a delightful surprise. Katie was a favorite of mine from the latter seasons of Degrassi: TNG.

... do you guys think I could write for a fanblog? :shifty:

The Good Place continues to be a phenomenal television program. And it looks like we still get 3 more episodes!

I so badly want this show to catch on and do whatever it wants to do for as long as it wants to do it.

The CW renewed pretty much every returning show that premiered in the fall today. That's all the superhero shows (noooo let Arrow end at season 5 and replace it with something new :(), Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and Supernatural. Because they'll never stop Supernatural.

• Like 2

The CW seems be more tolerant when it comes to renewing shows that are on the bubble, ratings-wise. The only one season and done show I ever watched on there was Star Crossed....and it deserved to be one and done. (Thought about watching Tomorrow People, but never did.)

20 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

The CW renewed pretty much every returning show that premiered in the fall today. That's all the superhero shows (noooo let Arrow end at season 5 and replace it with something new :(), Jane the Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and Supernatural. Because they'll never stop Supernatural.

We're also getting a Constantine animation series via CW Seed, with Matt Ryan reprising the lead role.