General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 1/6/2017 at 14:35, Benji said:

Has anyone watched the Netflix Voltron series? I saw someone describe it as almost as good as The Last Airbeds. I had assume it was just a standard kids toon, is it really that good?

I wouldn't put it on the level of The Last Airbender or Korra, but it's pretty good. Definitely the best Netflix original kids show, and I'm looking forward to Season 2.

People thought this would be a skip, just some generic rom com series - which I understand it was initially marketed as - but it's not.

In Santa Clarita Diet, Joel (Olyphant) and Sheila (Barrymore) are husband and wife realtors leading vaguely discontented lives in the L.A. suburb of Santa Clarita, until Sheila goes through a dramatic change sending both their lives down a road of death and destruction…but in a good way.

It's created by Victor Fresco, the same guy who created Andy Richter Controls The Universe and wrote for Better Off Ted. Nathan Fillion's listed as a recurring guest star too!

• Like 6

Finished The Exorcist series the other day. I liked it. I don't think it'll be anyone's favourite show, but for 10 episodes I think it'll probably be worth the binge to a lot of people once it hits streaming services. Not sure how they'd do a follow up series to it with the same characters without re-treading the same ground, so not sure I want it to go beyond the one series, but I'd check it out if they did.

Also watched more of This Is Us, and I still like it. My one complaint is that Kate and Toby's story seems to be the same thing every week with a really small nuance. It is lovely to have a show with Justin Hartley again though.

On 11 January 2017 at 13:36, Benji said:

Okay, Hawaii 5-0 has always been a stupid guilty pleasure for me, but even by its standards, S7E2 might be the worst hour of TV I have actually sat through. I think I'm done now.

It wasn't too bad, aside from the cliched nature of things. And then they met the fucking Queen. 

8 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

And then they met the fucking Queen. 

I'm gonna keep a note of that sentence for future reference whenever I need to add hyperbole to something.

I've never watched the show so completely believe you, I just think it's a great sentence.

oh boy, I might have to put-off all that high-end TV drama I really need to see in favour of A Series of Unfortunate Events, which I completely overlooked dropped on Netflix today and was easily one of my favourite books as a kid. 

Also, as an easy-watching thing, I'm now three episodes into Trollhunters, the new Netflix animation show from Guillermo Del Toro, which has yet to really distinguish itself from a generic kids show, but there's been some hints that it has potential to branch out and become something incredibly fun. The viewing experience is tinged with a little sadness as the main character is voiced by Anton Yelchin, but I'm hoping once it establishes itself, it'll use the format to explore and tell really interesting stories - I'm basically in off the excellent voice cast, some cool animation and Del Toro's involvement, I'd recommend it so far for anyone looking for an easy / fun 20 min show (also so I have more ppl to talk about it with...)

• Like 1

Powered through the first series of Broadchurch last week as Baddarina recommended it. Holy shit. I wasn't a fan of David Tennant before (unfairly, as I hadn't watched anything with him in) but he and Olivia Colman are great together in this. I'm two episodes into the 2nd series now.

@Jimmy, I saw that you mentioned you'd worked with a Broadchurch series regular before. Who was it?

• Like 3