General Television Thread

Hellfire

On 14 January 2017 at 07:25, fhqwhjosh said:

I actually found both Series 1 and 2 remarkable. Though there's obviously a difficult emotional transition. I know they're making Series 3 and I'm a little desperate for it.

I thought one was excellent - a nice shot in the arm of British TV in terms of acting, storytelling and having the nation watching along.

I honestly struggled to finish Series 2. They had a platform to tell another story in that world and ended up retreading old territory, presenting a poor follow-up whodunnit & really lacked any sort of character development and exploration. 

I'm very skeptical about three, but I'll likely give it a go. 

Timothy Olyphant's a huge selling point in this for me. I mean, the whole thing looks good, but his character seems great.

• Like 5

On 17/01/2017 at 14:25, Cloudy said:

Timothy Olyphant's a huge selling point in this for me. I mean, the whole thing looks good, but his character seems great.

I cannot put my finger on what Olyphants character reminds me of. Also a little disappointed at the zombie element of it, I thought it was just going to be a straight "couple keeps murdering folk" black comedy.

Still going to watch it though.

I guess the zombie thing is as good a reason for that as any, I just hope that it doesn't go off the deep end with supernatural elements which the trailer doesn't make it look like it will. I already have iZombie for that.

I think the safest answer would be to say it was in between. It's hard to answer without understanding what you mean by "significant part of pop culture" though. In its original run, the vast majority of Saturday morning TV was built around cartoons (and pro wrestling :shifty:) that was more designed as advertisements for toys. SBTB skewed a little bit older: kids who were too old for Ninja Turtles, but not yet old enough where they'd rather sleep until noon. That's a pretty narrow window. It had a pretty strong afterlife in syndication, especially on TBS which would marathon the shit out of it, so it sort of became one of those things that was hard to miss. I think everybody's seen it at least once, but it's not quite the same as something people got into enough that they bought the merch and made it into a treasured part of their childhood.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Benji said:

Weird question, I know, but how big was Saved By The Bell in America? Like, was it a significant part of pop culture in any way or was it just "a kids show that they happen to really like and identify with"?

Everyone sits like A.C. Slater in the States.

• Like 1

I used to get up at like 7AM on Saturday mornings, watch cartoons, and then when the cartoons went off (around 10AM) it was the S Club 7 TV series and SBTB. By that time (we're talking mid-90s) SBTB was already in reruns and I was still young enough that I had no fucking idea what it was about or what their problems were, I just knew they were cool older kids. <_<

(And that Kelly and Lisa made me feel some kind of way.)

5 hours ago, Benji said:

Weird question, I know, but how big was Saved By The Bell in America? Like, was it a significant part of pop culture in any way or was it just "a kids show that they happen to really like and identify with"?

I'd say Saved By The Bell was definitely a part of the pop culture back in the day. Everyone loved Zach and Kelly Kapowski :wub:

There has been a Saved By the Bell themed pop-up restaurant (Saved By the Max) here in Chicago for the better part of a year. It stays crazy packed. It'll be around until like mid-2017, probably still doing big reservation business.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fhqwhjosh said:

There has been a Saved By the Bell themed pop-up restaurant (Saved By the Max) here in Chicago for the better part of a year. It stays crazy packed. It'll be around until like mid-2017, probably still doing big reservation business.

All the chairs are backwards. 

• Like 1