General Television Thread

Hellfire

Several episodes. You should just catch up.

That said, some spoilered thoughts on The Good Place finale:

Spoiler

My first reaction was that it felt like a gut-punch. I liked Michael so much!

After that, I'm of two minds:

1) This does answer the question of "How do you make more seasons of this?"

2) I feel like that changed the essential nature of the show that I loved so much. I loved it because of the way it tackled themes of morality, philosophy, and spirituality. This felt more like it was driven purely by plot, and not at all by theme.

That said, I'm still processing it. And I'm sure I would watch more if gets renewed.

• Like 1

Loved the Good Place season finale.

It makes sense. It always seemed like Heaven was far from perfect and that Tahani and Chidi were both truly flawed - she was mean and an episode like Chidi's Choice showed how insufferable he must have been. Like I literally was under the impression that this was sloppy writing because perfection gotta be perfection, right? Either, I am a fan of this because some of my favourite parts of the show so far have been the Adam Scott parts and we'll have even more of those now! 

2 minutes ago, Menorah Julep said:

Loved the Good Place season finale.

Reveal hidden contents

It makes sense. It always seemed like Heaven was far from perfect and that Tahani and Chidi were both truly flawed - she was mean and an episode like Chidi's Choice showed how insufferable he must have been. Like I literally was under the impression that this was sloppy writing because perfection gotta be perfection, right? Either, I am a fan of this because some of my favourite parts of the show so far have been the Adam Scott parts and we'll have even more of those now! 

Spoiler

That's a good point, regarding what it reveals about Tahani and Chidi. I suppose I'm mostly in mourning over Michael. It does open new possibilities though.

18 minutes ago, fhqwhjosh said:
  Hide contents

That's a good point, regarding what it reveals about Tahani and Chidi. I suppose I'm mostly in mourning over Michael. It does open new possibilities though.

If it makes you feel any better, you'll probably have the old Michael stick around given he has to pretend to be good for a part of the show!

Spoiler

Honestly, the reveal in the finale now makes me want to go back and rewatch everything, because holy shit, it's a whole set of new rules now!

It raises a lot of interesting questions I can't wait to see develop in season 2 (if we get a season 2, because NBC): So, if Michael is just an architect of a Bad Place, what does that make Trevor? Is he just a Bad Place employee? Is Mindy St. Clair a Bad Place employee, or is she really in the Medium Place? The difference between her and Tahani is so subtle and yet so brilliant. What entails going into the Good Place, then? Just being solely a good and perfect person? I mean, Tahani did a lot of good things, even if her motivations were flawed, but Mindy's was, too, right? I mean, she had an epiphany, but it was while she was on cocaine, for crying out loud. It wasn't really Mindy actually  wanting to help people, if she wasn't high as a kite she probably wouldn't have wanted to do it. Also, does this mean that Eleanor won't keep all the good ethical values she learned from Chidi, as her memory has been wiped clean? I mean, I guess it would, but just how much? The Eleanor before the Good Place would have probably taken that piece of paper, crumpled it up and tossed it in the garbage can because she doesn't really give two fucks about anyone else. That's what I'm thinking, at least. 

Most important question, though: Are they still going to make Jason a silent monk? :lol:

I was mad when it wasn't on your Favorite Show ballot because I know you love Michael Schur's other shows. YOU COULD'VE BEEN THE ONE WHO GOT IT IN, RUKI :(

But yeah that finale was brilliant.

Spoiler

When I kept seeing that there was a twist I was like "what if The Good Place is actually The Bad Place" but then I was like "naaaaaaah, no way." Whoops!

It does keep up.

17 hours ago, Benkid Cratchit said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Honestly, the reveal in the finale now makes me want to go back and rewatch everything, because holy shit, it's a whole set of new rules now!

It raises a lot of interesting questions I can't wait to see develop in season 2 (if we get a season 2, because NBC): So, if Michael is just an architect of a Bad Place, what does that make Trevor? Is he just a Bad Place employee? Is Mindy St. Clair a Bad Place employee, or is she really in the Medium Place? The difference between her and Tahani is so subtle and yet so brilliant. What entails going into the Good Place, then? Just being solely a good and perfect person? I mean, Tahani did a lot of good things, even if her motivations were flawed, but Mindy's was, too, right? I mean, she had an epiphany, but it was while she was on cocaine, for crying out loud. It wasn't really Mindy actually  wanting to help people, if she wasn't high as a kite she probably wouldn't have wanted to do it. Also, does this mean that Eleanor won't keep all the good ethical values she learned from Chidi, as her memory has been wiped clean? I mean, I guess it would, but just how much? The Eleanor before the Good Place would have probably taken that piece of paper, crumpled it up and tossed it in the garbage can because she doesn't really give two fucks about anyone else. That's what I'm thinking, at least. 

Most important question, though: Are they still going to make Jason a silent monk? :lol:

Spoiler

Speaking of the criteria keeping Tahani in The Bad Place, maaaaaaan the criteria keeping Chidi in The Bad Place is HARSH.

• Like 1

So that was wonderful. Glad I watched the show, but sad that I blew through it in one weekend. The writing was wonderful, the characters are great, the setting is super interesting (even more interesting after that reveal) and the cast was fantastic. Really hoping we get a season 2, and that season 2 has more Adam Scott, because he was just great. But I think after watching it all....my favorite character had to be Janet. Her comedic timing, upbeat/dead-pan attitude was just hilarious for me. 

When I was watching the show I thought

Everyone in the good place was supposed to be in the bad place ,and that Michael just messed everything up. I was just waiting for Chidi to reveal something terrible. But having it all be just for the four of them? That was surprising.

I also hope that in season 2 we get to see the actual Good Place....and what it actually takes to get there. Because man, their standards are pretty freaking high.

20 hours ago, Ruki said:

So that was wonderful. Glad I watched the show, but sad that I blew through it in one weekend. The writing was wonderful, the characters are great, the setting is super interesting (even more interesting after that reveal) and the cast was fantastic. Really hoping we get a season 2, and that season 2 has more Adam Scott, because he was just great. But I think after watching it all....my favorite character had to be Janet. Her comedic timing, upbeat/dead-pan attitude was just hilarious for me. 

When I was watching the show I thought

Reveal hidden contents

Everyone in the good place was supposed to be in the bad place ,and that Michael just messed everything up. I was just waiting for Chidi to reveal something terrible. But having it all be just for the four of them? That was surprising.

I also hope that in season 2 we get to see the actual Good Place....and what it actually takes to get there. Because man, their standards are pretty freaking high.

Janet is absolutely the best thing.

• Like 1