General Television Thread

Hellfire

For the hell of it, I feel like trying to predict what the top ten shows in EWB's Favorite TV Show 2011 will be.

1. Dexter

2. Community

3. The Walking Dead (but this heavily depends on how good season 2 actually is)

4. Game of Thrones

5. Modern Family

6. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

7. Sons of Anarchy

8. How I Met Your Mother

9. The Office

10. Parks and Recreation

I could also see 30 Rock or Breaking Bad making the top ten. Breaking Bad and Parks and Rec are both entirely dependent on how much their viewerbase on EWB has grown.

Dexter had a bad season in my opinion last year and it still won, so unless things get really bad (and really, trailers make it seem like a return to form) it should win a third straight year. Community winning is entirely dependent on whether its viewerbase has grown even further, but I have to imagine it'll be top three at worst because those of us who like it still really like it. Walking Dead, as I said, is entirely dependent on whether the show can put out a good season in spite of AMC stomping all over it. Game of Thrones will absolutely be this year's big debut much like Walking Dead was last year, I could see it in top three easy if Walking Dead falters. Modern Family is sort of a wildcard depending on if people still like it as much as they did at the end of last year (I don't) but it has a very broad appeal, maybe moreso than any other show in this ten. It's Always Sunny and Sons of Anarchy are reliable performers. HIMYM is, I think, dependent on how much cache it's retained, seeing as I see more and more people on EWB speaking ill of it. I think it'll drop but not enough to put it out of the top ten, especially after like three of last year's top ten (Lost, Mad Men, Terriers) are ineligible. This leaves the giant clusterfuck for the 9 and 10 spots. Parks and Rec's EWB fandom has grown a ton so I definitely see it vaulting into the top twenty, and I think it could make it all the way into the top ten. Same deal with Breaking Bad, but I think that's to a slightly lesser degree. And I think something out of The Office, 30 Rock, and South Park have a chance depending on a lot of factors. The Office has mostly had a solid season highlighted by Steve Carell leaving. If they don't totally drop the ball with him gone they could hold steady and sneak in. 30 Rock had pretty much a comeback season last season, but they're not coming back in the fall so that could hurt them. South Park is South Park.

And... I guess I should take Chuck into consideration? But I think that's going to drop off like Glee did (and Glee's going to drop off even further, I bet, probably into the 30s).

... so yeah. Guess who has too much time on his hands?

For the hell of it, I feel like trying to predict what the top ten shows in EWB's Favorite TV Show 2011 will be.

1. Dexter

2. Community

3. The Walking Dead (but this heavily depends on how good season 2 actually is)

4. Game of Thrones

5. Modern Family

6. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

7. Sons of Anarchy

8. How I Met Your Mother

9. The Office

10. Parks and Recreation

I could also see 30 Rock or Breaking Bad making the top ten. Breaking Bad and Parks and Rec are both entirely dependent on how much their viewerbase on EWB has grown.

Dexter had a bad season in my opinion last year and it still won, so unless things get really bad (and really, trailers make it seem like a return to form) it should win a third straight year. Community winning is entirely dependent on whether its viewerbase has grown even further, but I have to imagine it'll be top three at worst because those of us who like it still really like it. Walking Dead, as I said, is entirely dependent on whether the show can put out a good season in spite of AMC stomping all over it. Game of Thrones will absolutely be this year's big debut much like Walking Dead was last year, I could see it in top three easy if Walking Dead falters. Modern Family is sort of a wildcard depending on if people still like it as much as they did at the end of last year (I don't) but it has a very broad appeal, maybe moreso than any other show in this ten. It's Always Sunny and Sons of Anarchy are reliable performers. HIMYM is, I think, dependent on how much cache it's retained, seeing as I see more and more people on EWB speaking ill of it. I think it'll drop but not enough to put it out of the top ten, especially after like three of last year's top ten (Lost, Mad Men, Terriers) are ineligible. This leaves the giant clusterfuck for the 9 and 10 spots. Parks and Rec's EWB fandom has grown a ton so I definitely see it vaulting into the top twenty, and I think it could make it all the way into the top ten. Same deal with Breaking Bad, but I think that's to a slightly lesser degree. And I think something out of The Office, 30 Rock, and South Park have a chance depending on a lot of factors. The Office has mostly had a solid season highlighted by Steve Carell leaving. If they don't totally drop the ball with him gone they could hold steady and sneak in. 30 Rock had pretty much a comeback season last season, but they're not coming back in the fall so that could hurt them. South Park is South Park.

And... I guess I should take Chuck into consideration? But I think that's going to drop off like Glee did (and Glee's going to drop off even further, I bet, probably into the 30s).

... so yeah. Guess who has too much time on his hands?

For reference, here is my Top 5 so far:

1. Community

2. Game of Thrones

3. Parks and Recreation

4. Modern Family

5. Californication

Yeah, reorder that a little bit and replace the last two with Curb Your Enthusiasm and The Daily Show and that's my top five. Louie's threatening to crack the top five, though, it's at a solid 6.

Eight episodes in and I'm loving the West Wing. I was skeptical after the first episode because it didn't grip me like Studio 60 did, but by the second third episode I was convinced that I was going to love this series. Martin Sheen is gold in his role, as are all of the cast, actually. Sorkin's writing is superb and the characters are already really well developed.

Also, I really want to watch Community because of all the praise it gets here. It doesn't air in the UK, does it?

I must say that overall I am pretty disappointed with this last season of Entourage. It just seems like nothing important has happened since the first episode. And they're already halfway done with the season, I'm really hoping the rumors to an Entourage movie are true, because I just don't see them wrapping up the series in only four more episodes.

They've dealt with Vince's drug problems and are setting it up so that they return to their normal lives. Honestly, I don't think there is a great way to wrap up Entourage. It doesn't really lend itself to having some kind of ending. My best bet is that the final episode is some kind of '6 months later' one where Vince's new film is out, it's a hit, Ari is either back with his wife or with Dana (who'd pick Mrs. Gold over Dana!? C'mon now.) and Johnny's show is a hit. And E probably gets back with Sloane or finds some new girl or something.

I thought this season has been good so far. Over the edge Vince get old quickly and it was awesome to see Tig from Sons of Anarchy.

I must say that overall I am pretty disappointed with this last season of Entourage. It just seems like nothing important has happened since the first episode. And they're already halfway done with the season, I'm really hoping the rumors to an Entourage movie are true, because I just don't see them wrapping up the series in only four more episodes.

I have to admit I'm not super impressed with this season, but it's like TKz said, it's very tough to wrap up a show like Entourage.

Besides, I think it really is all just building up to the movie. I'd be pretty disappointed if they didn't have the movie.

The season just seems to be rushed. Like with the first episode where they cut straight to a couple months later (maybe a year or two, I can't really remember how long Vince was in rehab) I was really looking forward to seeing how the group worked without Vince there for a while and the like, and with Sloan and E breaking up. Entourage really just needs an extra half hour. And Turtle seems to not getting any development this season which is a shame. I'm still digging the season, I just think with this being the last season it's been pretty disappointing.

And not only does it need more Ari, but it needs a lot more Billy Walsh.