The African Cup of Nations 2010

Crybaby Bunting

Eurosport just never seems to work on my television, it's like the only channel that likes to black out or freeze often.

Oh and Ivory Coast lose out to a refs decision, mind Algeria should have put them away a long time before, maybe they won't be a walk over for England after all.

Man this referee is diabolical. And that's not me being partisan to Algeria either, because the Algerian keeper should have been sent off for the shit he pulled. Stupid yellow cards. Stupid dismissal. Stupid NON-dismissal. Christ.

There's a rumour swirling around the BBC website that Togo have been thrown out of the next two tournaments for their withdrawal this year which, if true, is possibility the biggest dick move in the history of sport.

It was reported early this morning on Sky Sports News

I get the feeling this is true... which is incredibly stupid :/

I could understand if a team withdrew from a tournament from some petty political statement... but three people died in an attack. I don't know if anyone can intervene in a decision like that... coupled with the mediocre ACON this year... I get the feeling this could be the last for some time.

The whole deal with Togo being disqualified from the tournament in the first place reeked of little more than a clash of egos between CAF and the Togolese FA. This would seem to merely be a further extension as CAF look to get the 'last word', as it were.

"In light of this tragedy, we don't want to compete any more."

"Don't you dare pull out of this competition!"

"Actually the players have now decided they want to carry on."

"Oh no, it's too fucking late now. You wanted out, you can stay out."

Etc. Etc.

Childish.

I believe the players decided that they wanted to stay, but the Togolese government pulled them out. They then asked if they could come back after two days' mourning (and have their first match rearranged, as they were going to end up missing it), and CAF said no.

Which on one level is fair enough from CAF's perspective, but neither side can claim to be acting like proper adults here.